Emergency guyouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency guyouts

Here's one that comes up from time to time....someone feels the need for more guyouts. Throw a shower hook and a quarter in your emergency kit and you'll get by.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Guyouts 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	72951
    Slip the quarter behind the fabric...push through the large hole.....slide into the narrow channel....take tension and you're good to go.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Guyouts 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	72952
    I do have some long term wear concerns...but in a pinch or your grommet fails it'll serve.

OnTheHill

Re: Emergency guyouts

Good idea.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

That's a slick trick, but just a more refined version of putting a rock in the tarp and tying it. Personally, I think a smooth river rock would be less stress on the fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        That's a slick trick, but just a more refined version of putting a rock in the tarp and tying it. Personally, I think a smooth river rock would be less stress on the fabric.
        An even better idea Mac...Thanks! I'll look for the perfect stones as I walk the washes. A windy, rainy, sleepy 2am is no time to be looking for the perfect stone. (perfectly stoned maybe!)

So give me your honest opinion here: Do you think that I'm trying to pack "too flat".....gotta make room for that last one little thing that I'm going to carry along but not use.

OnTheHill.

Comment

Acorns work too...

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheHill View Post
            Do you think that I'm trying to pack "too flat".....gotta make room for that last one little thing that I'm going to carry along but not use.
            As long as you're camping from a vehicle and you can get everything you want in it (and not wind up with a 4 hour setup time), I see no need to count ounces like you're backpacking. If you've followed many of my posts, it's kind of obvious that I'm a gadget guy. I like "things". Not just anything, but things that make roughing it not so rough. And, yes, I've eliminated some things that I didn't need - like two different size tarps "just in case" and place settings for four when I'm by myself. The only reason I've downsized a lot of the individual pieces of my gear was sort of a challenge to myself. I wanted to see how much stuff I could take out in the smallest space. Where originally I couldn't see out the back window of my truck and the bed was stuffed full, I'm down to where most of my gear on a warm weather trip fits in two large Pelican cases and a duffelbag. All that to say, go with what works for you. LOL

Comment

you can get everything you want in it. That's a good one!

You've got me nailed though, as I am transitioning from backpacking so that weight/size thing is still on my mind...if overly so time will definitely come down the line and correct my thinking. We're definitely funny creatures the way we hold onto the past as we move in another direction............It's kinda fun to think about what we'd be like if we had no past retention in our day to day thinking. (both pro and con).

A boy scout when asked to (be prepared) should only reply "for what?" I'd like to know how to use everything I take and still (be prepared) so we do whatever makes us feel safe and off we go and somehow we pull it off.

I'm down to where most of my gear on a warm weather trip fits in two large Pelican cases and a duffelbag. Unless those pelican cases are considerable larger than I can imagine you've done what for me would be the impossible. Good job Mac and appreciation for all the contributions to our skills and knowledge base.

OnTheHill.

Comment

OTH - If you're new to camping from a car or truck but used to counting weight down to the gram, I think you'll find the relative lack of concern for weight and size very liberating. As an example, no one's ever come up with a Dutch Oven for backpackers, so now you have the ability to cook food you never had on the trail - and using a piece of gear that really doesn't take up a lot of space.

That Boy Scout thing still applies. Yes, be prepared "for what" - whatever you expect to encounter or plan to do. I keep separate lists for different trips based on expected weather, planned activities and even what size group will be going.

I wouldn't say it would be impossible for you to get things to pack into two boxes like I did. Over time you'll be able to figure out what works and what stays home. First of all, I'm single and only have to pack for one. Second, the Pelican Storm IM2975 and IM2950 aren't exactly small. But it still took quite a bit of time, planning and $$$ to figure it out. Smaller nylon tent than the 10x10 canvas tent, SilNylon tarp instead of the common poly tarp, a single burner backpack stove in place of the traditional 2-burner Coleman and 12volt lighting to replace Coleman lanterns, etc. My next trick is going to be getting everything but my clothes, cot, chair, cooler and solar panel setup in the IM3075 I just ordered

Glad you think I contribute to the knowledge base. All I see is me complicating things, even for myself. I tend to overthink and rethink everything all the time. It's almost a wonder I can actually relax when I'm out on site and playing with the gear to see what the next goofy thing I can come up with :P

Comment

As far as being prepared; I believe the motto was referring to mind and body (mind including knowledge of how to make do/improvise), not to bring semi-truck trailers of stuff just in case. It is very likely that this philosophy has been lost getting to where we are today; if for no other reason than it is easier to buy (a first aid kit, for example) than to learn how to do most things without the stuff invented in the last 70 or 100 years... (For a fair overview of what was "necessary" near the turn of the 1900s; Nesmuck (Sears)
                  https://archive.org/details/woodcraftandcamp34607gut
                  or Kephart
                  https://archive.org/details/bookofcampingwoo02keph
                  are pretty entertaining.
                  ...BTW both comment on bringing too much stuff...)

I find that I run in cycles between bringing way too much and bringing just too much stuff to be more than comfortable.
                  After moving to a bigger vehicle, this last year, I went way overboard on the stuff, I have since downsized (twice) but the temptation is always there to bring more (like my tarp collection).

What worked for me Backpacking still works; at the beginning) and end of the season, or mid winter; make a pile of your stuff, then take each item and ask yourself (when we were a family it was a group effort);
                  Did I use it?
                  Did I need it?
                  Is it worth bringing on the next trip?
                  I then place the stuff that did not make the cut into medium term storage (in case I change my mind). A few exceptions are first aid and each person is allowed a small comfort item (something that is brought "Just because")....Got this from Kephart, I believe...

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-20-2016, 06:47 AM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Not bad!

Comment

Working...
                    X