Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Your Tent

Hi everyone,

I purchased the North Face Stormbreak 2 tent, and so far I have really enjoyed it. I did a short 5 day thru-hike with it, and I am pleased to say it held up very well. Before I went on the hike, I had hand washed the tent, if I can recall, with a dish soap or some equivalent. After the hike I read you are not supposed to wash it with those types of soap, and so I hand washed it this time with Nix wax tech wash (I believe it's called). My question is, did I cause damage the tent the first time washing it with the regular soap?

Thanks!

Matt

Re: Washing Your Tent

I personally have never washed a tent, apart from exposing one to rain. But unless the tent has some kind of waterproof treatment applied to it, I can't see where that would do any harm. Soap shouldn't change any inherent properties of the fabric if it is rinsed properly.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Soap or detergent will kill a canvas tent.

Comment

Originally posted by spinyeel View Post
        Have to disagree with that. Even reputable tent manufacturers recommend using a mild detergent to clean canvas. I say reputable because I'd imagine less-than-honest companies would want you to ruin a tent so you'd have to buy another one. No matter how it's treated, canvas is still basically just cotton, so the only issue with washing it with detergent is re-applying the waterproofing.

Comment

Originally posted by spinyeel View Post
          this is from montana canvas tent company
          Washing Tent: Use only mild detergent like (dish soap). Use a hose and scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush or broom. High pressure washers are not recommended.

following is from kodiak canvas tent company
          ● To clean tent, hose down with water and wipe with a cloth. Soaps and detergents can damage the water-repellant treatment of the canvas.
          ● Do not spray insecticides or bug repellant directly on the canvas. This may damage the water-repellant treatment.
          ● For long-term storage, store in a cool dry location that is not exposed to direct sunlight.
          ● Our tents are made with quality zippers. To prolong zipper life, do not "grind" zippers around corners. If needed pull the canvas, windows or doors to help zippers glide smoothly. Keep them clean from dirt.
          ● The canvas on your tent has a special Hydra-ShieldTM treatment that is watertight yet breathable. You should rarely, if ever have to retreat the canvas. If you do need to spot treat the canvas for water repellency, use a silicone based repellent such as Camp Dry® by Kiwi®. Other treatments will clog the tiny holes in the canvas eliminating its breathability.

Comment

I suspect that these warnings that "it will ruin the tent" are like many other warnings - it's not that every single instance of doing this will result in disaster. It's that there is a percentile chance of such damage happening.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I think it goes back to the waterproof treatment, where such applies. It wouldn't affect seam sealing. Still not sure why one would wash a tent.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I think I have washed every tent I have ever owned though I just rinsed them with a water hose and wiped them with my hand on any dirty spots. I don't think I would worry about any mild detergents but I wouldn't use any solvents or chemicals on a tent. A bigger danger for tents is storing one that is wet or damp. If you wash a tent you need to hang it and let it dry thoroughly. I had to break camp in the rain once and it continued to rain for several days. I had rolled up the wet tent with the intention of hanging it to dry when I got home but I forgot about the tent and the next time I used it it had mildewed, had a horrible smell, and the water proofing on the floor started peeling away. I couldn't salvage the tent and ended up having to throw it away.

Comment

I love my old old tent. The floor started leaking some years ago. Brushed it thoroughly and waterproofed it on outside bottom. No use - it still leaks. My solution ? I put tarp under to direct water and also Inside to block.
                  so far totally comfy.

Comment

Working...
                  X