Homemade truck camper load/unload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade truck camper load/unload

Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I just completed a truck camper build and was wondering the best process for loading and unloading. I have access to a forklift but would like to keep It lifted at bed height for easy access. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Homemade truck camper load/unload

Welcome! ...your camper looks good!
    Sorry; I missed your post somehow.
    I don't know about easiest or best but the commercial bed campers that I have helped load and unload had, 3 to 4, hoists, crank up steel poles (some times electric/hydraulic legs and once long screw jack legs) that lifted the camper high enough to back the pickup underneath. I never liked this operation, it always felt risky/shaky, but somehow we never dropped a camper.

A friend that wanted his elevated for storage made some VERY heavy duty saw horses that held it near pickup bed height for storage. I believe he used cables and turnbuckles anchored to the ground, using the same eyebolts that he used to anchor it to the pickup bed, to help keep it stabile so he could climb inside, and to eliminate any chance of wind moving it.

...Hope it helps...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-15-2016, 07:48 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Don't they make jacks for campers? Would love to see pictures of the inside.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Most campers use camper jacks (the 4 poles on each corner of the camper) or that purpose. Buying them to add on can be expensive (saw one set for $1500). (http://www.dyersonline.com/jacks-levelers/truck-camper-jacks.html)

The saw horses are a common "homemade" version and you can find tons of instructions and variations online with a search for "truck camper support homemade". There are also some pre-made ones available at a higher cost than homemade, but they include a locking system (http://www.rvshop.com/CAMPR-PACKR-CA...0_p_61328.html)

There is also a sturdier version of the jacks available (http://stablelift.com/stable-lift-photo-gallery.php)

You might be able to homemake a basic jack system - the manual ones just use the "knob & hole" locking system that are on canopies, etc.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

That looks heavy.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Don't know how much space you have, but since you have access to a forklift, my first thought would be to make a custom dolly to wheel it to wherever you store it.

Comment

Wow she's a beauty! Once you are able to get the camper on, what kind of tie downs do you plan on using?

Comment

Looks good, my friend! I have been wanting to build one that slides in to my trailer. I welded a utility trailer years ago... 5X8.... I thought I'd make a tear drop shaped camper that would slide in it. you just gave me a little boost towards that goal. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                X