Cost-effective tall man's tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost-effective tall man's tent

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find a tent that is very waterproof,2 person, has a full rain fly, a vestibule or two, $200 or under and is 95" or longer because I am 6'7" tall. I was looking at the AlPS Mountaineering Mystique 2.0 Tent and at first it seems long enough but then I start looking at it and I notice the one end has quite the angle to it so that will cut off probably 8inches of headroom. I'm tired of either sleeping sideways or having my head rub on the fabric! Thanks in advance!

Re: Cost-effective tall man's tent

The REI Half Dome 2 Plus is on sale right now at @ $149.99. It's 96 inches long, 56 inches wide. It's an excellent tent - one of my favorites. The sale ends today, so I'd recommend grabbing it ASAP. I've never seen it priced so low. If you don't like it, REI has a very liberal return policy,

Last edited by MacGyver; 12-03-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I'm stuck between the REI Half Dome plus and the alps mountaineering mystique 2.0. Which one is the better all around tent?

Comment

I think the REI tent would still be to small. Look at the way the ends are. His feet and head would still be hitting both ends. But I don't have a better suggestion, except for sleeping diagonally in a tent.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

That's what I'm worrying about, the ends being too slanted to where my feet and head rub on the fabric.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin.133 View Post
            Hi everyone, I'm trying to find a tent that is very waterproof,2 person, has a full rain fly, a vestibule or two, $200 or under and is 95" or longer because I am 6'7" tall. I was looking at the AlPS Mountaineering Mystique 2.0 Tent and at first it seems long enough but then I start looking at it and I notice the one end has quite the angle to it so that will cut off probably 8inches of headroom. I'm tired of either sleeping sideways or having my head rub on the fabric! Thanks in advance!
            Check out the Marmot Limelight series of tents. I can attest to Marmot quality. Rugged fabrics, excellent waterproofing, solid construction/stitching, great warranty. The newly re-designed Limelights feature nearly vertical sidewalls in the sleepzone lower area as a result of Marmot's use of pole "kneebends" in each corner. This means your feet or face/head won't be rubbing on tent fabric material that, in other tents, encroaches inward on it's way up from the ground. These provide full usable floor space (length and width) up to 14 or so vertical inches.

I know they fall short of 95 inches in length...the 2P is 88 inches long, the 3P is 90 inches long....but I think you may fit fine in either because of those vertical end walls allow all 79 inches of you to stretch in that space. Even sleeping on a 4 inch pad..or 6-8 inches off the ground...you're still getting most of that full 88/90 inches in length and won't have fabric rubbing in your face. The door walls are also nearly vertical because of the overhead brow pole. Simple set-up, 2 doors/vestibules, and nicely ventilated. Bonus---a huge front door opening...which is a benefit for getting in/out easier (back door opening is more normal size).

The 2P is currently on sale under $200...the 3P is about $25-30 more. Try one out in a store or in your living room...a good retailer will let you return it at no cost/shipping. Some...like REI, give members a year to decide if you like it.

Random outdoor retailer weblink to a Marmot Limelight 2 on sale: http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-li...-3-season?rr=t

Click image for larger version

Name:	limelight 2 p.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	70716Click image for larger version

Name:	limelight 2 pole structure.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	70717
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 12-04-2016, 01:08 PM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
              I think the REI tent would still be to small. Look at the way the ends are. His feet and head would still be hitting both ends. But I don't have a better suggestion, except for sleeping diagonally in a tent.
              Not so sure about that. Kevin' 6'7" and the tent is 8 foot. I'm 6 foot even and there's more than enough room at my feet for a packed clothes duffel.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Not so sure about that. Kevin' 6'7" and the tent is 8 foot. I'm 6 foot even and there's more than enough room at my feet for a packed clothes duffel.
                Well that's what I get for trying to do math first thing in the morning.
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I'm still leaning towards the alps for the price and its fairly long although the ends are angled which means I will lose some floor room but I'm not sure how sturdy it will be with the two poles that aren't connected to one another

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                    Well that's what I get for trying to do math first thing in the morning.
                    Remember - coffee first - then try to face the world!

Comment

Here's another option: Slumberjack Sightline 2P. 90 inches in length, 59 inches wide, and 43 inch peak height. Appears to have one fairly vertical wall and another that actually pulls outward as it goes vertical (this opening looks good to store a pack/other gear or use as a dog door). Aluminum pole set. Full fly. 1200mm waterproof ratings. Currently $150 at Campsaver and with today's 22% add'l off brings it down to $117: http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/sigh...erson-3-season

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slumberjack Sightline 1.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	70718Click image for larger version

Name:	Slumberjack Sightline 2.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	70720Click image for larger version

Name:	Slumberjack Sightline 3.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	70719
                      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X