Layers for hiking camping 50/20F°

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layers for hiking camping 50/20F°

I haven't really done and cold weather camping. Me and my girlfriend want to go camping in Palo Duro in Dec and the high is supposed to be 50ish and a low at 20. What do you reccomend for the mid layer, and outer layer? Obviously we won't be out and about too much as the temp drops. And I have some good 0 degree bags and PJs to keep us warm at night, as well as a couple stuff sacks just in case. But I'm just not sure what to bring for clothes while hiking the canyon. I was going to wear a longsleeve poly base layer, a mid layer cotton T-shirt and hoodie, and for a shell: a insulated leather jacket (only wind proof shell I have). Any suggestions are welcome. I'm sure the goretex or north face jackets are better suited for the task, but would this setup work well?

Re: Layers for hiking camping 50/20F°

As everybody's temperature regulation is subjective, the only recommendation I can make is to take out a somewhat wide variety of layers to see what works for you in the field. Trial and error. I'm fairly thin so, as I like to tell people, I don't have a lot of natural R value and tend to need more clothing than larger people - especially when we're out in some of the extremes like the -30° that hit us years ago. As much as I've managed to downsize my gear, the only thing I can't seem to minimize is the clothing.. I hate being cold, so I'm always overpacked with clothes but never regret it. If you're like me, and don't like feeling like you're bundled up so much that you can't move freely, try adding silk longjohns to your duffel. That's got to be the best purchase I've made for cold weather. Thin, light and surprisingly warm.

Comment

Thanks for your perspective

Comment

if your experiencing highs in the 50's and lows in the 20's
        daytime shouldnt be much of an issue as much warmer when your active and doing things
        its nighttime when temps drop and your not as active that you will feel the cold more so

basic principles of layering is synthetic base layer, that keeps moisture/sweat off the skin,
        then your warming layer, wool/fleece/etc,
        then your outer shell to protect from wind/rain/etc

i dont think your mid layer will keep you warm enough, would pack additional sweater
        as for leather jacket, good for blocking wind, but only if its zipped up completely,
        and for hiking/camping leather jackets just arent maneuverable/comfortable for common tasks,
        i have 3 leather jackets, motorcycle type jacket, and a pea coat type leather coat, and a heavy suede/sheepskin type coat for extreme cold
        personally wouldnt want to wear them while camping, if they were my only jackets i would go out and buy an appropriate jacket,
        cheap walmart jacket will do short term, or would hit a thrift store see what i find and buy a can of scotch guard to apply waterproofing on used jacket
        can also look for used on C.list.

Comment

I agree with the above;
          I normally don't use a wind blocking layer for moderate conditions (above zero F is moderate, IMO); can be as simple as a wind breaker.
          A warm layer, can be as simple as a light to moderate fall jacket (I save the heavy winter jacket for inactive periods; used it I believe once in the last 20 years, when snow camping).
          for the sweat dispersal layer I normally don't bother for moderate weather (above 0 deg. F.) a light net undershirt works (I save the poly pro stuff for real cold).
          my typical fall and sometimes summer clothing; in the mountains its not uncommon to wake up to snow, is;
          Light to medium (well broken in) hiking boots (depending on the load) with moderate socks (I cannot tolerate waterproof boots and since I do not have to stand in water/slush they haven't been necessary, even goretex layered boots are not breathable enough for my foot comfort.
          Jeans (there is much outright B.S. about cotton, IMO).
          Light T shirt,
          a flannel shirt thickness and fuzziness is dependent on the temp; when it gets warm and active I tend to open the buttons and roll up the sleeves or take it off.
          when I start feeling the cold I put on either a heavy flannel, over the shirt, or a light jacket when it goes below freezing I put on a moderate jacket, when moderately active, a heavier jacket when not.
          If it snows and is sunny U-V blocking sunglasses become important.
          A wide brimmed hat for sun protection.
          If your ears feel the cold put on a stocking cap and get more active.
          When doing work, work gloves are usually enough. When its approaching 0 deg. F. I usually switch to skiing gloves, for really cold conditions its mittens.

For wet cold (rain mist fog/clouds, sleet) you really need an outer wind and water blocking layer that is breathable, juggle the under layers to get good heat & sweat ventilation and avoid overheating (sweat is the greater enemy, more than cold, IMO).

Tried wearing the leather jacket but mine is too heavy (weight wise) and too stiff; more something thing to wear in the vehicle to ease the temp extremes when running around town.

The greater the temperature-activity extremes the harder it becomes to find a good combination but when in doubt bring several light layers rather than one heavy one, each layer when added or removed gives more versatility, IMO.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-29-2016, 08:51 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

For me, I start with a tank top. That's my base layer. Then I use a cotton/light flannel shirt over that. Then I use a zip up sweat jacket. I don't like "wind breakers" because I get too hot in them - regardless of outside temps. If I need more warmth, I have a sherpa coat and a larger heavier sweatshirt that can fit over the sweatjacket.

When out hiking, rarely do I wear the coat - that's for sitting around.

With me, my arms get cold, but my torso gets hot - so it's hard to regulate. The above layers seem to work the best. I can remove as much or as little as I need - they stuff into a backpack easily and they layer nice.

I keep the same layers year round and use each as needed for that particular weather.

Bottoms, I use heavy sweat pants in winter. Capris and yoga pants in summer.

Sleepwear is the same year round - lightweight short sleeve pajamas. I have a wonderful thick terry full length robe that I use for early morning "dog potty time". Inside my clipper I am nice and warm in my cabover bunk so don't need heavy sleepwear.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I live in Mississippi. A t-shirt works just fine!
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Around camp I would wear anything that was comfortable but for hiking I would not wear anything cotton. Having worked outdoors all my life in all kinds of weather I can tell you that in the winter if you sweat just a little bit, and you will, you will be chilled. When hiking wear synthetics all the way. The exception might be jeans. With a synthetic layer under jeans you should be OK.

Comment

... everyone should use what works for them;
                  irrespective of internet rumor/misinformation cotton layers have worked fine for me hiking in -80 deg. F wind chills (with an outer wind blocking layer) as well as in knee to hip deep snow (might have been deeper, couldn't touch the ground, had to swim through it) while snow wheeling; digging winching , moderate physical activity; group of four wheelers in the mountains seeing how stuck we could get... just for jollies...
                  ...wool is much preferable though.
                  Unventilated sweat is the enemy no mater what is worn.

... really glad that it doesn't get cold here (-10 F is a typical coldest, according to my home electronic thermometer) in the winter...

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-05-2016, 07:37 AM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I will echo what others above have said.....cotton kills. It's not a rumor. If it gets wet, it doesn't not dry very quickly and that means it will extract heat from the body. With the myriad of choices of high-tech materials, there is no reason to get within 100' of cotton in the sub-freezing temperatures.

If you want natural material, then go with merino wool, otherwise select from the many choices available. Arcteryx makes phenomenal clothing. Check out what they offer and buy it you can afford it. If not, then try to find similar materials used by other outdoor-gear companies at a lower price point.

http://www.arcteryx.com/ProductFind....en&gender=Mens
                    Moss Big Dipper
                    Alaskan Guide 8
                    Alaskan Guide 6
                    NorthFace Tadpole 23
                    ALPS Exteme 3
                    Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

The OP states that the temps would be around 50 during the day. In those temps, we're not talking hiking in sub-zero temps.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Agreed. Hypothermia can occur in temperatures above 32F. Getting wet can kill and wet can occur without hiking around. Slip in fall in the stream near your tent, get caught in a rain storm, gather lots of wood for a fire which never occurs but you're now wet from perspiration. Many ways.
                        Moss Big Dipper
                        Alaskan Guide 8
                        Alaskan Guide 6
                        NorthFace Tadpole 23
                        ALPS Exteme 3
                        Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Years ago I saw a video about hypothermia, I think it was part of a hunter safety course, that stressed the dangers of temperatures below 60° when combined with being wet and especially if there was a wind. Wet cotton will just suck the heat right out of your body and though wool or synthetics loose some of their insulating properties when wet, it's not to the degree of cotton. Back before I discovered synthetics I wore cotton long underwear at work and if I ever started sweating enough to dampen the cotton I would stay cold all day. Once I started wearing synthetics I stayed much warmer and rarely got chilled like I did when wearing cotton. Around the campsite I don't worry too much about what I wear because I have the tent and dry clothes close by but if I were going to be hiking I would be wearing mostly synthetics. The exception is jeans. I don't have any synthetic pants so I will always be wearing jeans.

Comment

"Cotton kills" is mostly hype/buzzwords, IMO based on near 60 years in the outdoors in all kinds of weather... although "They" present a convincing spiel as they sell (expensive) alternatives/snake oil.
                            I do agree that wool is better than cotton in cool/cold weather, but disagree that cotton is some kind of death trap.
                            Wear what you want but use common sense and don't jump/fall into rivers/lakes creeks etc. in sub zero, or warmer, weather... or go on 26 mile hikes in a misguided effort to save someone that phoned for help the next morning (recent news).

((I personally cannot figure out why people get stuck when they can, with some effort; shovel out the vehicle turn around and drive out... based on many group trips into the mountains in bumper to headlight deep snow just to see how stuck we can get. ...no special clothing just (layered) winter work clothes, including jeans and cotton flannel..))

...Often the most common way to get wet is unventilated sweat (ignorance; if the sweat is allowed to evaporate/is properly ventilated, you don't get wet) snow is pretty dry at temperatures near zero, and only a fool would risk immersion.

Poor decision making is responsible for most cold weather deaths around here; they will be, usually, found come spring, if not before, no matter what they are wearing.

... from https://consumer.healthday.com/envir...ys-696679.html
                            "Those most at risk for hypothermia include seniors, the mentally ill, people addicted to alcohol or drugs, and those living alone, according to the analysis published Feb. 20 in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a publication of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

No specific mention of cotton; although one victim (of Parkinson's & hypothermia) "was found wearing only jeans, a short-sleeved shirt, shoes and gloves." (...again poor decision making).

...not criticizing; just trying to push back the frontiers of ignorance with facts (not belief)...

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-31-2016, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I agree Happy Joe. I also think it depends on your camping situation. If you're backpacking, then the concern of hypothermia is a bigger issue because you may only have 2 sets of clothing (1 being worn, 1 in the pack), etc. But in a regular car camping situation, you're unlikely to be in that sensitive a situation to begin with. If you fall in a stream near camp, you just change clothes and hang the wet set to dry over the fire. If you don't have a fire, then you are short a set of clothes - you most likely have at least 3 sets with you (when space isn't that big a concern like with backpacking, only having 2 sets is bad planning).

If you're on a hike and you sweat, you can remove the bottom layer (that has accumulated the sweat) and continue hiking while hanging it off your day pack to dry as you go. That's one reason why layers are always recommended - it gives you more options for staying warm.

If you're hiking where a thunderstorm can potentially catch you, then carrying a simple plastic rain poncho (or garbage bag) can keep you dry (if they can keep you dry while standing under Niagara Falls, they can keep you dry in a thunderstorm).

Adding: IMO, the most important choice for hiking is your shoes. The wrong shoes can be far worse than any other clothing choice you make. Having a pair of shoes that is appropriate for hiking, as well as the specific weather conditions, will be the most likely thing to keep you out of trouble.
                              Last edited by toedtoes; 12-31-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X