Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for new DIY camping projectss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for new DIY camping projectss...

Yeah, camping with dogs is a bit different in a good way. They're like kids in that they get so excited about being out there, that it rubs off on you. They've seen their first raccoon and their first coyote - the raccoon really made Bat-dog go "Whoa!" since she hasn't seen anything like it before. They both got very excited about the coyote. And of course, the lizards, birds, squirrels and chipmunks are always good for a chase. Their last trip they even had cottontail bunnies hanging around camp.

As Willa is a black dog (like Moose-dog and Bat-dog), remember that she'll get overheated easier than other dogs. Keep a bandana or t-shirt in the cooler and you can use that to cool her down when/if needed. Also can be used to wash her off (although with her coat, mud and gook should just dry and flake off her easily). Keep an extra collar and leash in the car - that way if the one she has breaks, you have a spare.

You might also start to get her accustomed to a doggie backpack. Mine each have one that will fit their snacks, a couple water bottles, and some plastic baggies. I make sure to equalize the weight on both sides of the packs. I started using one on my shepherd-lab, Dog. I had hopes she could carry some of my camera gear (filters, extra batteries, etc.), but she liked to squish between rocks and jump in the lake, so she only carried stuff that couldn't get ruined. Both Moose-dog and Bat-dog started carrying at about 2 years old (don't want to start while their bones are growing) and have no problem with it. I tried it on my sibling's dog once and she just sat down and refused to move - what a spoiled brat.

Here you can see them with their packs on (they're at a standstill with the mighty lizard, he's sitting on that rock in the middle of the photo watching them watch him):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	The Last Stand.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	70757
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      Yeah, camping with dogs is a bit different in a good way. They're like kids in that they get so excited about being out there, that it rubs off on you. They've seen their first raccoon and their first coyote - the raccoon really made Bat-dog go "Whoa!" since she hasn't seen anything like it before. They both got very excited about the coyote. And of course, the lizards, birds, squirrels and chipmunks are always good for a chase. Their last trip they even had cottontail bunnies hanging around camp.

As Willa is a black dog (like Moose-dog and Bat-dog), remember that she'll get overheated easier than other dogs. Keep a bandana or t-shirt in the cooler and you can use that to cool her down when/if needed. Also can be used to wash her off (although with her coat, mud and gook should just dry and flake off her easily). Keep an extra collar and leash in the car - that way if the one she has breaks, you have a spare.

You might also start to get her accustomed to a doggie backpack. Mine each have one that will fit their snacks, a couple water bottles, and some plastic baggies. I make sure to equalize the weight on both sides of the packs. I started using one on my shepherd-lab, Dog. I had hopes she could carry some of my camera gear (filters, extra batteries, etc.), but she liked to squish between rocks and jump in the lake, so she only carried stuff that couldn't get ruined. Both Moose-dog and Bat-dog started carrying at about 2 years old (don't want to start while their bones are growing) and have no problem with it. I tried it on my sibling's dog once and she just sat down and refused to move - what a spoiled brat.

Here you can see them with their packs on (they're at a standstill with the mighty lizard, he's sitting on that rock in the middle of the photo watching them watch him):
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5968[/ATTACH]
      What a great pic of "who's gonna move first?" lol.

Thank you for the tips. I may start a Camping with Dogs thread (I have to check to see how many/how current previous dog threads are out there). Willa does take me back to when my kids where very young. Every thing was new and requires pause and exploration. It is a good reminder that we miss a lot when we go too fast.

Aware of the overheat risk (I'll make sure she has a bandana like I carry)...and likewise the cold risk (she has no fat and a thin coat). Since Willa is still a pup and rapidly growing, we held off on getting her a "winter" coat/jacket for our time outdoors this last winter season. By next winter, I should have a good idea of her full size and make the investment in cold weather attire for her so she can hike/be outside longer.

Same holds true on holding off on a doggie backpack for her until she exits pup stage and matures much more. Oh yea, I'm certainly going to begin the training her on carrying her own "stuff" on hikes when that time comes. So many different styles, etc. Guess I have some time yet to research what will work for us. I had to carry extra water etc. for the kids when they were young...couldn't wait for them to manage/carry their own supplies. Now I am back to that stage again...but Willa's time is a comin'........
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Sounds good on the new thread - then I can stop hijacking this one

Back on topic, I would like to make a step to put on the back of the dinette so I have a wider place to step up and down from the cabover bed. The dogs use a plastic stair but it's not great for people.

Keep looking at things to see what I can utilize, but may have to make one out of wood.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
        X