Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for new DIY camping projectss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new DIY camping projectss...

The holidays are now upon us so its time to think about doing some projects (way better than shoveling snow, IMO).

While punching the pillow back in to shape this (early) morning I was struck by the fact that I usually have to fumble around for the pillow when camping since it seems to have a definite attraction for the tent floor (gravity works)...
    I'm thinking a cot head board might be a useful simple/easy project that would not increase the bulk of the ever growing pile of stuff that I sort through each trip.. it could be stored and packed as a part of the cot...

...another thing to figure out is a way to hang pictures/mirror etc from the tent walls; this one might be as simple as getting some of these;

Grip clips
    http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/products.html
    Has any one tried them?

Although perhaps a couple of silicone RTV coated magnets (for the friction and to prevent fabric wear) might also work...

Any suggestions?

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Looking for new DIY camping projectss...

DIY camping project: make your own tent! There is a MYOG section on BPL, it's worth checking out.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Made a canvas wall tent once; worked pretty well though it did require a lot of sewing and a heavy duty sewing machine...
      ...really looking for smaller projects at this time;
      In terms of bigger projects there is a tent awing in process currently and I am developing a couch option to go with the cot (which come to think of it would fold well into the headboard project as a mod to the couch arms...).

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

...Think that I have found a couple not terribly hard projects;

Need to move the legs on the TV tray table that I use for morning and evening cleanup, to allow the port-a-potty to slide underneath and need to add a towel bar to said TV tray table.
        Edit; came up with a design for an adjustable retractable towel bar last night ... need to get some supplies but its going onto the tray table...

Need to learn macramé to make some soft wall art for the tent.

Edit; re-watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (guilty pleasure) yesterday; Think that I will make up some folding/travel coat hangers as seen in the movie.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-05-2016, 07:06 AM.

Comment

I am toying with the idea of making a rechargable led lantern that is dimmable. I technically don't know if it is possible but I believe it is.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            I am toying with the idea of making a rechargable led lantern that is dimmable. I technically don't know if it is possible but I believe it is.
            https://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesaler.../dp/B003L4KKF2

Comment

... or get one of these (or similar) and power it with a 5 volt USB lithium powerpack...
              https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Sho.../dp/B0078ZTWP4
              ...might/probably have to make an adapter cord (did this for the old, dim, Jeep LED lantern) and maybe install a power plug/jack...
              ... many ways to skin a cat ...
              The above (discontinued/obsolete) Jeep labeled lantern is 6 volt (4 D cells) and is quite happy running off a 5 volt powerpack.

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-30-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Got a small table so no need to move the legs on the TV tray table (did some work on it but getting a new table was cheaper and easier)...
                Going to put towel bars on the new table.
                Currently conceptualizing an awning for the tent...(inventoried available/in stock parts; extendable legs, found the bundle of fiberglass dome tent poles... need to sort through the tarp pile)
                Need to work on arms/head and foot boards, for the cot to convert it to a rainy day couch...(and keep my pillow off the floor).
                Need to think up/develop an in-tent hat & coat rack...
                May think on a unique tent doorbell...

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-24-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  May think on a unique tent doorbell...
                  Fun projects Joe. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your awning.

I don't have a tent doorbell....but I am slowly developing a tent/campsite greeter/alarm/security system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Willa Camping.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	70755
                  Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-24-2017, 09:07 AM.
                  2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...n+rechargeable

And it can charge your phone...
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I think Willa needs herself a cot!

As an aside, when I'm camping with the dogs, I always worry that something will happen and they'll get lost. Their regular ID tags have my cell number, but out camping with no reception, that does no good. So, I had camping tags made up - they have my clipper's license plate number on them. That way if someone finds them, they can find me at the campground. Before I had these made up, I used to use those little barrel shaped ID tags and write in my campsite number on a slip of paper and put it inside (but the new tags can be seen easily).
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        So your saying its possible.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

So your saying its possible.
                          Yes, yes I am.

Comment

I think Willa needs herself a cot!
                            lol....yea, I wasn't planning on bringing Willa with me that trip til the last minute and that old rug was about all I could find in a pinch. Thought about using a hard cell foam pad, but all I could imagine is bringing home a well chewed foam pad. Anyway, that rug got wet, muddy, heavy...and pretty much stayed that way until we got home and I could wash/dry it. Won't be taking it again.

I'm pretty sure Willa would love a cot. I remember you posting your Bat-dog took to the new cot you bought really well...Moose-dog-hmmmm not quite as enamored right away. I'd just have to get a fairly large one so Willa didn't have various body parts hanging off the sides. lol. Strongly considering it, but have to keep my overall camp loadout fairly compact due to space restrictions. Orrrrrrr...like I am finding out...I'll get her one cause she's my girl and I'll make room for it. lololol

For right now, I replaced the nasty woven fabric rug with a 6' x 6' sand free mat from CCGear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ccgear mat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	70756

Easier to clean, water goes thru it. Not the most comfortable material, but Willa has a small fleece blanket she loves. I'll lay that down on the mat if the material bothers her. I've seen other forum members with these mats so I thought I would give it a try for her (and it can serve double duty as a mat in front of the tent).
                            Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-25-2017, 07:07 AM.
                            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

As an aside, when I'm camping with the dogs, I always worry that something will happen and they'll get lost. Their regular ID tags have my cell number, but out camping with no reception, that does no good. So, I had camping tags made up - they have my clipper's license plate number on them. That way if someone finds them, they can find me at the campground. Before I had these made up, I used to use those little barrel shaped ID tags and write in my campsite number on a slip of paper and put it inside (but the new tags can be seen easily).
                              These are really good thoughts and suggestions. We're the same with the ID tag with name/cell# (and poor/no reception in most places we camp). Willa is chipped, but that isn't a fast solution out camping/hiking/etc. I like the plate number idea-we always take the SUV.

I'm still on the low end of the learning curve when it comes to bringing a puppy dog camping/hiking/etc (puppies make everything a bit more......uhhhhh..."exciting"). It's only been one night so far....but we'll get some more practice in during our trip planned for next week.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X