Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Silk Flower Envy - 3 DIY Knock-Down Tables

Hi All!

I have to admit it - I had "Silk Flower Envy" You know when the big rvs pull up next to you and they have silk flowers on a table in the window?

Well, I fixed that! I now have silk flowers too! I finally got the pictures ready for the knock-down tables that I built. They have a pipe flange on the bottom, and slip into brackets on the front of the couch. I have lots of pictures and instructions here if you're interested.

It's easier to show you a picture than try to explain how I did it. I've been using the tables for 2 years and they work GREAT - no problems, and they're sturdy enough to support a laptop. The new 'dining' table is super sturdy. Let me know what you think!

Liz

Last edited by WackyPup; 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM.
    2008​Cruiser FunFinder X ​189FBR & 2014 FORD F150​ :D 153 Nights Camping this year
    Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mod WackyPup.blogspot.com

Re: No More Silk Flower Envy - 3 DIY Knock-Down Tables

Originally posted by WackyPup View Post
    Hi All!
    I have to admit it - I had "Silk Flower Envy" You know when the big rvs pull up next to you and they have silk flowers on a table in the window?
    I've been using the tables for 2 years and they work GREAT - no problems, and they're sturdy enough to support a laptop. The new 'dining' table is super sturdy. Let me know what you think!

Liz
    ...Sorry! I have never experienced this... when a a large RV can get close enough to see, I start looking for a less accessible place to camp.

...the tables do look good though.
    Good idea!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I completely agree, I hate those big behemoths and I am not at all envious of them, but I did think it was cute to have silk flowers in the window :money: although I'm not really a fan of fake flowers... I do have a live plant but it takes up too much room on the table.

Glad you like the tables.

Liz
      2008​Cruiser FunFinder X ​189FBR & 2014 FORD F150​ :D 153 Nights Camping this year

Comment

Personally, I believe that art (something enjoyable to look at, or to center conversation, or just to relieve the eyes) can improve the interior of many campers and (especially larger/darker) tents. Even though the beauty of nature is hard to beat, interiors should also be inviting, IMO.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Me too. I keep planning to print out some of our favorite photos from trips and hang them

Liz

Comment

Thought about a digital picture frame for about 3 minutes but these are quite spendy and mostly small.
            Currently thinking about wall hangings/curtains similar to those in Théoden's tent in "Return of the King"; but wouldhave to shrink them in size considerably...

Comment

You can get your photos printed on tapestry. Not the cheapest, but you can find sales around this time of year with the holidays. Also printed pillows. Those would let you have your travel photos on stuff that could actually be useful (the tapestries on the walls were to help prevent drafts and keep out the cold). If you're cheap, get some plain white pilowcases and make iron-on transfers with your photos - then everyone could sleep on their favorite destination.

I like your tables - they turned out nice. I've never bothered with flowers in the RV - if you get close enough to see in, you'll find a parrot sitting on my dinette table...

I actually have some Sun Records label aluminum signs hung on the walls. Elvis Presley (Blue Moon of Kentucky), Carl Perkins (Blue Suede Shoes), Jerry Lee Lewis (Great Balls of Fire), Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues), and a blank one to which I labeled with Billy Swan (Don't Be Cruel). If you haven't heard the last, youtube it, it's amazing! Just enough to add some color and a bit of interest against all that wood paneling and cupboards. Fortunately, there are LARGE picture windows on both sides of the RV and on the back, and the windshield on the front, so I don't have much wall space to fill.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

After much looking for cheap soft wall art I found a "celtic dragon" (made in India)
                https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Dragon...=celtic+dragon
                Knocked out a simulation...

...I dunno...

...any thoughts?... Too outre'??

Enjoy!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-20-2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  After much looking for cheap soft wall art I found a "celtic dragon" (made in India)

...I dunno...

Enjoy!
                  I love it! Now I have "Tapestry Dragon Envy" . . . I don't have a wall to hang it on though, there is no wall space in the camper. I do think I need to make mine more interesting. I've tried to 'calm' down the visual, because it is so tiny. When I first started using it I had net bags hung everywhere and it was soooooo visually cluttered (well, and actually cluttered too LOL)

That is a really neat idea for your tent, and it looks great, although his arm might be on backward :P

Liz

Comment

...I dunno...

Enjoy!
                    I love it but then I am nerdy like that. I dress up and go to Renaissance Festivals every year. So.......
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I love it! Now I have "Tapestry Dragon Envy" . . . I don't have a wall to hang it on though, there is no wall space in the camper. I do think I need to make mine more interesting. I've tried to 'calm' down the visual, because it is so tiny. When I first started using it I had net bags hung everywhere and it was soooooo visually cluttered (well, and actually cluttered too LOL)

That is a really neat idea for your tent, and it looks great, although his arm might be on backward :P

Liz
                      Thanx! Yep! the anatomy leaves a bit to be desired, IMO... being a non-artist I pretty much have to settle for what I can find...

After looking at it a bit; I believe its an improvement over the dark, institutional, grey tent walls...

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      I love it but then I am nerdy like that. I dress up and go to Renaissance Festivals every year. So.......
                      I too have kind of eclectic tastes, although dragons are a fair subject for art, and it should go fairly well with the table top alcohol fireplace (flames)... Think that I will go for this and continue looking (have 3 more walls in the tent; well 2 more walls and a door).

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-20-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Liz
                        Yeah, with RVs, it doesn't take much to make it cluttered. Most of my decorating has been with color. I've used cheap throw blankets to "re-upholster" the seats (they're done in a nice dark brown, but Moose-dog sheds a lot) and throw pillows. My "big" treatment is tassel fringe - I have a ceiling shelf and attached the trim all around the edge - it hangs down beautifully. Then I added it to the shelf over the door and then around the escape hatch in the cabover bunk (I kept getting my hair pulled by the edges of the hatch and this stopped that). My last addition was to the bottoms of the cabinets over the dinette and couch.

P.S. If you look closely, the dragon is turned away from us - you're seeing his back and his head is turned to look over his left shoulder. So his arm is correct.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I love it! Now I have "Tapestry Dragon Envy" . . .

Liz
                          No need for envy; it isn't that good in reality...
                          ...Ordered and received the dragon; it is about what you would expect given the price and origin...
                          Thin fabric with a sloppily silkscreened image (I may be a bit over critical having worked in precision silkscreening) ...looks ok from a few feet away if you ignore the bleeds along some edges. It will work fine in the tent where its primary purpose is to break up the institutional dark grey of the walls... The image on Amazon (and others) is mirrored, as well as brighter than the piece is in reality.
                          Was not impressed bot not really disappointed either... I give it a 3 of 5 rating....

I think that I will make a trip to the local Hobby Lobby store and see what they have for Macramé kits... for one of the remaining walls...
                          ...Perhaps something open to let the air & light through if the window is unzipped...

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-27-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

...ordered a Rohan banner...

...as seen in the LOTR movie (Théoden's throne room).
                            Hopefully it is a better quality item.

Not really art, 'though kind of arty; I am considering a sailors' mirror, for shaving (and to break up the wallness of the tent)

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-12-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Dragon...=celtic+dragon

...I dunno...

Enjoy!
                              Outre? Wuvv that!:D.

Have you checked out the medieval collection @ Metropolitan Museum of Art/ Cloisters?
                              http://store.metmuseum.org/medieval-...=*&type=prints

The Princess (AKA DGD) thinks that place is da bomb but err she's into graveyards. I don't discourage her interest but find it odd in a "we went to West Point and she wanted to picnic on the gravestones" kind of way. Soooooo Victorian.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X