Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wish I could camp more often

Originally posted by in-tents View Post
    Lots of good ideas and suggestions by many. We do go for at least a week if we go. Since it is so much work, might as well make it worth it. When I say it's a production, it really is. We have 9 kids so it's like going with a youth group. We have to rent a u-haul trailer just to get all the gear. We have 2 tents, one to sleep in and one to hold back packs and change clothes in, stove, tons of food and water, bikes for the younger ones, tarps, etc, etc, etc......My goal is to get my own trailer, that way I can keep all the gear in it and roll out whenever we like. Again, not complaining but it is work. And I'm sure the more we go, the better we'll get as far organization. I also like Happy Joe's idea of doing a family review when you return. My wife does tell me I do too much....setting up tarps etc....but of course when it's done she's happy we have them. When it rains, it's nice not being cooped up with 11 people in tight quarters.
    :surprised:

Im just kidding. I have 5 brothers and sisters and my mom was one of 15 kids.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Great ideas toedtoes. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        :surprised:

Im just kidding. I have 5 brothers and sisters and my mom was one of 15 kids.
        We actually have 10 but the oldest is married. Kids are a joy. Don't think we'll make it to 15.

Comment

If I were in your position, I would sell every piece of camping equipment owned. That should be fairly substantial amount of stuff, considering the size of your family. Clean up everything really well to get the best price for it.

Take all the proceeds from that and put it in a savings fund to buy a bunk house travel trailer. Commit a certain amount to the fund every month. Every time you think about camping, add extra money to it.

It's the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
            If I were in your position, I would sell every piece of camping equipment owned. That should be fairly substantial amount of stuff, considering the size of your family. Clean up everything really well to get the best price for it.

Take all the proceeds from that and put it in a savings fund to buy a bunk house travel trailer. Commit a certain amount to the fund every month. Every time you think about camping, add extra money to it.

It's the only way.
            I disagree with this. A travel trailer big enough for 11 people is going to be huge. A bunkhouse will help, but even so, you will still be using dinettes, couches, tents, etc., to sleep everyone. That will end up being as much work on a daily basis as the initial setup of a tent camping experience. And you will likely have to buy a larger tow vehicle to handle the trailer weight. And with 11 people, the weight is going to be a huge issue.

In addition, as the kids get bigger, they will be more and more uncomfortable in the confined space of the trailer and will start wanting to sleep in tents. So, you'll be buying all that equipment that you sold a few years' back.

I think buying a simple trailer to store and haul the gear (instead of renting) is the best way. It will simplify the pre-trip prep as everything will be stocked (only need to add perishables, etc.), and once the tents are set up, they're set up - no need to take up and put down every day like a dinette bed. Then it's just a matter of finding ways to simplify the gear and get the kids to help.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
            X