Wish I could camp more often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I could camp more often

I love to camp but we just don't go very often. Just got into it a few years ago and we have lots of gear but it's a lot of work. We have a very large family so when we do go it's quite a production. We have to rent a trailer and it's packed full. We also don't like bugs and would rather not use repellent so if we go, it's in the mountains to avoid bugs. We don't camp in Oklahoma because the bugs and the heat. Hard to go fall camping because the kids have school. I know we have a fall break but like I said, it's a chore just to get ready and pack for so many people. I'm certainly not complaining but it would be nice to get out more and spend time in nature. The kids sure like it....well most of them do. Some are not outdoorsy but they're good sports. Maybe when some get a little older it'll be easier. My youngest is only 2. We have gone the last two summers but the wife would love to go east to the Smoky Mountains but she made me promise not to camp. Wants to rent a cabin since we would plan a 2 week trip. It'll be awesome if we go. Anyway, just rambling since I'm not sleeping. Got jacked up watching the Cubs finally win a World Series. Glad to have this forum to get ideas.

Re: Wish I could camp more often

I have all of my camping gear organized and ready to go at a moments notice. All that's left is to pack my clothes, sleeping bag, blankets, and food. Would it be possible for you to have all the gear ready to go for camping like that?

Comment

I agree with the bugs and wanting to go more often.
      ... got to accumulate some more co-camping friends as the old ones are gradually dying off if they haven't moved away... probably should go back to attending the 4WD club events...

Used to keep the gear staged in the garage, for evacuation purposes, anymore its stashed in a spare bedroom ready to load... most of the stuff like raingear, sleeping bags, cook kit and small stuff is pre-packed (never gets unpacked). seasonal clothing just gets pulled out of the closet and stuffed in a canvas travel bag (one per person).
      ...make ice, fill the water jugs, do a trip to the grocery and beer stores after loading and I am on the road...

...Reminds me; need to refill the stove and fuel container in the cook kit...
      (edit); done...Thanx!

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-03-2016, 09:04 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

its not easy to always plan such, especially with larger families
        few things you can consider, instead large camping trips take more day trips maybe overnight stays at local campground,
        split the trip, if your wife doesnt mind, take older kids for a more age appropriate trip for a weekend
        wife does not mind at all when i take our son on trips, less work for her for a few days
        my sister is always asking me when am i taking my nieces camping,
        can still have the camping experience without the ordeal of a large week long trip.
        if kids have friends into camping, talk to their parents if their interested in trips,
        with more parents involved can share some of the workload

Comment

Camping & Bugs...Mom & Apple Pie. DEET and Tetanus shots. I think there'd be a lot less heartache and sorrow in this world, had we all grown up in The Boonies! At home in the swamp, or around a campfire, when you put your head down and said your prayers, this was our lullabye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=con_dPeEcGU
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I would like to be able to camp more often too, at least I think I would. I also believe that if I camped as often as I really wanted to, it'd probably lose it's charm.

Right now I get to go just often enough to keep it fun and interesting. It makes the loading the gear and dealing with the bugs more bearable.

Comment

I just miss the time when I could take a week or two and just go off on my own. Damn bills...

Comment

Originally posted by in-tents View Post
                I love to camp but we just don't go very often. Just got into it a few years ago and we have lots of gear but it's a lot of work. We have a very large family so when we do go it's quite a production. We have to rent a trailer and it's packed full. We also don't like bugs and would rather not use repellent so if we go, it's in the mountains to avoid bugs. We don't camp in Oklahoma because the bugs and the heat. Hard to go fall camping because the kids have school. I know we have a fall break but like I said, it's a chore just to get ready and pack for so many people. I'm certainly not complaining but it would be nice to get out more and spend time in nature. The kids sure like it....well most of them do. Some are not outdoorsy but they're good sports. Maybe when some get a little older it'll be easier. My youngest is only 2. We have gone the last two summers but the wife would love to go east to the Smoky Mountains but she made me promise not to camp. Wants to rent a cabin since we would plan a 2 week trip. It'll be awesome if we go. Anyway, just rambling since I'm not sleeping. Got jacked up watching the Cubs finally win a World Series. Glad to have this forum to get ideas.
                Sounds like you are in it for longer trips. Is there a reason you cannot get out for a weekend? Maybe even a long weekend? Pull the kids out of school and take the day off work for a Friday or Monday? I usually do Fridays as I can get out there first.

Something that also helped me was to eliminate stuff that I didn't need or even better find things that can do double duty. Instead of bringing a stove and propane tank just bring a grate and cook over a fire.
                Last edited by James.; 11-06-2016, 01:39 PM.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

It is definitely easier to get out if you simplify your gear. I sympathize with the family setup, just going with my wife adds several hundred pounds of gear :-P
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Simple is good but comfortable is good too.
                    Probably what made the biggest difference in load/packing is getting agreement that every one would be limited to a (relatively small) canvas travel bag (bought multiples of the same bag, one per person) of personal items, including clothing. ...no more packing 6 months of clothing, shoes & supplies for a 3 day trip.
                    Family meetings to critique and reduce the gear pile on return also helped... if it wasn't used was it necessary to bring it? ... would it be needed next trip?
                    ...what was forgotten/needed/desired that should be included next time?

We did learn to do laundry (takes the volume of a 5 gallon bucket) in the woods, to enable camping for several weeks while bringing minimal clothing.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-07-2016, 07:13 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Oh, I don't mean trade one for the other...It is all about having both.
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                        Probably what made the biggest difference in load/packing is getting agreement that every one would be limited to a (relatively small) canvas travel bag (bought multiples of the same bag, one per person) of personal items, including clothing. ...no more packing 6 months of clothing, shoes & supplies for a 3 day trip.
                        Family meetings to critique and reduce the gear pile on return also helped... if it wasn't used was it necessary to bring it? ... would it be needed next trip?
                        ...what was forgotten/needed/desired that should be included next time?

We did learn to do laundry (takes the volume of a 5 gallon bucket) in the woods, to enable camping for several weeks while bringing minimal clothing.

Enjoy!
                        All of this is sound advice. I especially like the review when you get home.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Bojib View Post
                          I would like to be able to camp more often too, at least I think I would. I also believe that if I camped as often as I really wanted to, it'd probably lose it's charm.

Right now I get to go just often enough to keep it fun and interesting. It makes the loading the gear and dealing with the bugs more bearable.
                          That's probably true for us well.

Comment

Lots of good ideas and suggestions by many. We do go for at least a week if we go. Since it is so much work, might as well make it worth it. When I say it's a production, it really is. We have 9 kids so it's like going with a youth group. We have to rent a u-haul trailer just to get all the gear. We have 2 tents, one to sleep in and one to hold back packs and change clothes in, stove, tons of food and water, bikes for the younger ones, tarps, etc, etc, etc......My goal is to get my own trailer, that way I can keep all the gear in it and roll out whenever we like. Again, not complaining but it is work. And I'm sure the more we go, the better we'll get as far organization. I also like Happy Joe's idea of doing a family review when you return. My wife does tell me I do too much....setting up tarps etc....but of course when it's done she's happy we have them. When it rains, it's nice not being cooped up with 11 people in tight quarters.

Comment

A camping trip with 11 people is always going to be more work than with 1 or 2 (or even 4). With renting a u-haul to go, yes, you're better off taking longer trips than short 1 or 2 night trips. But if you can get your own trailer, that would be a huge saver. If you do get your own trailer, think of ways you can customize it to work for you in more ways - can you customize an outside counter top that folds out so you can use it for food prep, etc. and leave a table at home? Things like that.

Now, I'm going to say something that I know is very terrible in this era of camping but: leave the bikes at home!!! Really, instead of having the kids riding their bikes around the campground, let them walk. I know it's fun to race around, but without the bikes they might actually see more of the outdoors. As kids, we used to hunt lizards, frogs, bugs, etc. We never took our bikes - the idea never even crossed our minds. We had tons of fun. And honestly, we weren't racing past other campers almost hitting them as they came out of the restrooms or getting in the way of folks trying to drive in or out of the campground.

Other ideas

Each season, establish a set of dedicated camping clothes for each kid. (each season only because they grow in spurts - if they don't grow that season, you can hang on to the clothes for another). Pack them up in duffle bags, packing cubes, whatever and keep them stored in the trailer. That way, you don't have to worry about whether they remembered a sweatshirt or not. If you will go for a week most of the time, set aside 1-1/2 weeks of clothes (that way there are spares if something goes wrong). Use old clothes that will be gotten rid of the next season - don't worry if there's a stain or tear. You're camping, it's OK to look messy. At the end of each trip, just toss them in the wash and then pack them back up and put them back in the trailer for next trip. This will work great for weekend trips.

When you're at your campsite, the trailer should be pretty much empty (since you will only bring what you actually use :yes: ). So, how about using it for storing backpacks and changing clothes. Then you can skip a tent (until the kids decide they'd prefer their own - and then it's up to them to set it up).

Start getting the kids to take on specific chores. Get the older kids out in the yard and practice with them as to how to set up the tent(s) and tarps. Then by the time you go camping again, they'll be able to work in pairs and set up a tarp or tent on their own or at least get it most of the way and then all you have to do is tighten things up and do a final check.

Younger kids can help set up chairs, lay out sleeping bags, and so on. Color code items and bins - use a marker or stickers. That way the kids can help put away at the end of the week - set out the bins and the younger kids collect items and put them next to the proper bin, the older kids and you and your wife can then put the stuff in the bins. Some bins it won't matter as much how things go in, so the younger kids can put those items directly in the bins.

While camping, follow the rule: when you're done using it, put it away. I've found this to be very helpful with the clipper. The more things are put back in their stored location, the less time there is getting ready to go home. After dinner and washing and drying dishes/cookware/whatever, put them back in the proper bin. If you don't use that item again, it's already put away - if you do need to use it again, you know exactly where it is.

Pick up one or a couple of these hampers ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) - this is another way you can customize your trailer. Attach coat hooks to a wall in the trailer and when you arrive, hang the hamper(s) on the hooks. Then when everyone changes in the trailer, they can just drop their dirty things in the hamper. When you get home, just grab a hamper and toss the contents into the wash. When they're clean, the kids can put them back in their "camping clothes bin/bag" and back in the trailer.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                              X