No announcement yet.

Free Primitive Camping at Laguna Mountain BLM Recreation Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campsite Review Free Primitive Camping at Laguna Mountain BLM Recreation Area

On the way to Pinnacles National Park in Northern California, I took a one day detour to visit and camp at Laguna Mountain BLM recreation area. We camped at the developed Sweetwater campground for free! 2 miles down the road is Laguna campground.

There are only 6 campsites and each is offers unbelievable privacy. A total of 4 campsites were occupied. It was quiet.

We choose a site at the lower end of the campground with no visible neighbors. Hardwood trees provided ample shade. Each site sports a small gazebo covering the picnic table.

We had a large fire pit with an iron grill. The fire ban was recently lifted and we made use of the abundant hardwood. Never in my life had I experienced such an amazing fire. The wood burned blue! There was no smoke. We warmed ourselves next to the hot coals for hours before retiring for the night.

I got out of bed at 7 AM and hit the trail for a 70 minute hilly trail run. It reminded me of running through the oak forests in the East Bay foot hills surrounding the San Francisco Bay minus any people. I saw one hunter hired by the BLM to exterminate feral pigs. There is a water fall nearby but I forgot my map and never made it to water falls. This did not matter as California is dry at this time of the year and it's doubtful anything was running save a dribble.

It's not on the way to or close to any city. It's approximately 50 south of Hollister, California. The 25 mile detour from Pinnacles National Park is worth the time and extra fuel. If you do a Google search for Laguna Mountain BLM campground, you will find everything you need to know including directions.

Pack in all your water as there is no available water.

Both campgrounds have clean outhouses. There is an additional outhouse located at the Sweetwater trailhead located across the road from the Sweetwater Campground.
    Attached Files
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic
Working...
X