Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking the ege off the cold (small heaters)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the ege off the cold (small heaters)...

Getting in and out of the sleeping bag has often been a chilly affair, for me. Pre-warming the tent has been most effective. in shiver reduction (especially when washing up).
    Over the years many things have been tried; ranging from 20,000 BTU propane heaters through smaller heaters down through lanterns and even stoves...
    One of the better things that I used was a small 5,000 BTU El-Cheap-O, one pound can, propane heater; worked pretty well until it disintegrated one chilly morn.

Since I have gotten closer and closer to Glamping, I have been looking at portable fireplaces... A friend gave me a case of gelled alcohol fake fireplace fuel; wich kind of works for occasional tent heating (during the regular early/late season rain/sleet storm here in the rockies).
    The can of gelled fuel works but, a flaming paint can is far from the classiest (or safest) way to provide a little temporary tent heat. It should be noted that all activities involve risk and everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Recently during my regular Amazon perusal I found tabletop denatured alcohol fireplaces (apparently a décor accessory).
    Sporting a 1.5 to 2 hour runtime for about a pint of alcohol... the 4000 BTU rating looked interesting....so I decided to give one a try...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UUJXTYU?psc=1

It warms my den up nicely (roughly a half cup of fuel will bring it from 40 degrees up to 72 degrees) and provides an acceptable small fire ambience.
    A pint of so (1/2 liter) will over heat the den starting from 40 degrees, and last roughly 2 hours... Maximum capacity of this fireplace is 0.6 liters.
    There is a residual ethanol smell (way more acceptable than white gas lantern smell) after it goes out; which can be eliminated with the oil lamp I maintain in case one of my cigarette/smokestack friends show up ( a candle or oil lamp is very effective in combating cigarette smoke stink). ...Will probably resurrect the candle lamp for this purpose in-tent.

The sides are however glass and since glass is pretty much guaranteed to get broken camping I will make up some Lexan sides instead.
    The metal base is on the heavy side but should work OK.
    I already carry denatured alcohol fuel for the Trangia stove that I use to heat morning and evening wash water; I'll just have to pack a couple of quarts (for a weekend) instead of the 4 ounces for the stove. (Long term I should look at using this fireplace as a water heater).
    Note; this is not intended as a tent heating solution just something to take the edge of the cold off when getting into or on those 25 degree mornings after getting out of the sleeping bag... or when friends stop by for social time during storms...

Don't really know if this is the best solution but we will see come spring...

Enjoy!

(Edit); tried it out over the post memorial day weekend; high altitude (~10 K feet) reduces the flame size and heat output (less oxygen) so while it does work it takes a long time and would likely not be good fro really cold weather.
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Taking the ege off the cold (small heaters)...

...A few notes on common sense safety;
    Everyone should; lookup, read, understand and follow the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for any chemical that they expose themselves or others to.
    ...For example; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...EiB_CO2uBXVN1w
    Never allow children (or adults; everyone knows one) to play with fire...
    Always take appropriate precautions when a combustion or catalytic device is use.
    Always follow the manufacturers safety recommendations, at a minimum.
    Always assure adequate ventilation.
    NEVER allow charcoal burning devices in an enclosure, tent, trailer, RV or structure. Carbon monoxide kills...
    The fire extinguisher from the vehicle (You do maintain one in the vehicle, right?) should be kept in close proximity to any combustion device, then returned to the vehicle when it is next used.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Happy Joe - good info on the alcohol stove, safety precautions, and the need to keep an extinguisher handy. Do let us know how the alcohol fireplace works out in your testing.

I'm going to be testing a different type of temporary/short term solution for heating the interior of a tent. Temp/short term to me is before bed (reading/changing etc.) and then again once I wake up (but before I crawl out of the sleeping bag). I'm hoping this will make my winter wake-ups a bit more bearable. When I am sleeping, I rely on a good insulated pad, appropriate clothing, and a good down sleeping bag to stay warm.

This is what I'm going with:

Primus Easy Light Lantern

Click image for larger version

Name:	Primus Easy Light Lantern.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	70688

I've fired it up at home the past week to try it out. Small so it is very stable unlike a larger 2 burner propane lantern. Puts out quite a bit of heat for it's size, it'll burn your hand if you touch it. No Coleman fuel afterburn smell. Also has the dual benefit of providing light (I like to read in the tent before bed) and allows me to burn off nearly empty isobutane/propane canisters to get the final bit of fuel out of each one. I'll be out again in November so I should be able to give it a good test. I will report back my results.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I think we can all agree it's time to steer Joe away from the Canned Heat...
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
          Happy Joe - good info on the alcohol stove, safety precautions, and the need to keep an extinguisher handy. Do let us know how the alcohol fireplace works out in your testing.

I'm going to be testing a different type of temporary/short term solution for heating the interior of a tent. Temp/short term to me is before bed (reading/changing etc.) and then again once I wake up (but before I crawl out of the sleeping bag). I'm hoping this will make my winter wake-ups a bit more bearable. When I am sleeping, I rely on a good insulated pad, appropriate clothing, and a good down sleeping bag to stay warm.

This is what I'm going with:

Primus Easy Light Lantern

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5836[/ATTACH]

I've fired it up at home the past week to try it out. Small so it is very stable unlike a larger 2 burner propane lantern. Puts out quite a bit of heat for it's size, it'll burn your hand if you touch it. No Coleman fuel afterburn smell. Also has the dual benefit of providing light (I like to read in the tent before bed) and allows me to burn off nearly empty isobutane/propane canisters to get the final bit of fuel out of each one. I'll be out again in November so I should be able to give it a good test. I will report back my results.
          I was once greatly tempted by those backpacking lanterns...
          I expect that they will work very well for lighting and a bit of heat.

Since going to electric lighting/not using lanterns, there has really been an occasional need for temporary heat, (Haven't really needed a full time heater since I gave up snowdrift camping).
          I was tempted by very small catalytic heaters, to replace the one that turned to metal crumbs, until a friend had issues getting Coleman propane tanks to fit his Coleman heater; don't need that particular headache (while shivering in the morning).

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          I think we can all agree it's time to steer Joe away from the Canned Heat...
          I could make ...or (grits teeth) buy... a fancy holder for the fake fireplace fuel/gel (many seem to be on the market as décor accessories, found them while looking for fireplaces); which would greatly reduce the issues with the flaming paint can... and I may yet do so if the bulk of the fireplace proves too unwieldy (pretty likely really, although this packs/handles pretty well in a plastic crate, along with its fuel).

As it sits this little flame source is relatively/surprisingly satisfying, though I need to find a good space for it to reside (a fireplace place).
          It is showy & entertaining enough that I am semi-tempted to get a larger one but the heat given off in the house would be an issue.
          So far I have gone through 3 quarts of ethanol in 12 hours or so of testing (watching flames).
          ...We will see what the Beer, Pizza & Movie/4WD crew (co-campers) consensus is...

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            ...We will see what the Beer, Pizza & Movie/4WD crew (co-campers) consensus is...
            Enjoy!
            Joe, that's what my comment was all about! No relation to Robert, but certainly a giant among the world-class bluesmen:

Canned Heat Blues
            Tommy Johnson

Crying, canned heat, canned heat, mama, crying, sure, Lord, killing me.
            Crying, canned heat, mama, sure, Lord killing me.
            Takes alcorub to take these canned heat blues.
            Crying, mama, mama, mama, you know, canned heat killing me.
            Crying, mama, mama, mama, crying, canned heat is killing me.
            Canned heat don't kill me, crying, babe, I'll never die.
            I woke up, this morning, crying, canned heat 'ourn my bed.
            Run here, somebody, take these canned heat blues.
            Run here, somebody, and take these canned heat blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuoOyeUj-w

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

It's a bit of a fuzzy memory now, but I seem to recall using a Coleman Dual Fuel backpacker lantern (as if a packer would actually carry something so bulky and heavy) to take the edge off in my smaller tents. So I would imagine the Primus Easy Light would also do the trick as long as you're not trying to heat a cabin tent or huge dome.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                It's a bit of a fuzzy memory now, but I seem to recall using a Coleman Dual Fuel backpacker lantern (as if a packer would actually carry something so bulky and heavy) to take the edge off in my smaller tents. So I would imagine the Primus Easy Light would also do the trick as long as you're not trying to heat a cabin tent or huge dome.

It couldn't be age causing that fuzzy memory...perhaps good times with a bottle of fun?

Some gear has changed quite a bit over the years in terms of lighter/smaller...and some gear remains the same. lol

Yea, I don't think the Primus would do much in a larger, taller tent with lots of mesh (ie. 6P and larger). I do my winter camping (where some external heat is appreciated) in a 3p or 4P smaller dome tent with 4 foot or so interior height and mesh panels that can be zipped closed with fabric. I'm hoping the little Primus will provide the "Goldilocks" of heat in such situations: not too much, not too little, but just right. I'll see...cooler/colder weather will be here soon enough. I would love to get up in the morning in the tent and not have my glasses fog up from my own breath.
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-26-2016, 06:11 AM.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Joe, that's what my comment was all about! No relation to Robert, but certainly a giant among the world-class bluesmen:

Canned Heat Blues
                  Tommy Johnson

Crying, canned heat, canned heat, mama, crying, sure, Lord, killing me.
                  Crying, canned heat, mama, sure, Lord killing me.
                  Takes alcorub to take these canned heat blues.
                  Crying, mama, mama, mama, you know, canned heat killing me.
                  Crying, mama, mama, mama, crying, canned heat is killing me.
                  Canned heat don't kill me, crying, babe, I'll never die.
                  I woke up, this morning, crying, canned heat 'ourn my bed.
                  Run here, somebody, take these canned heat blues.
                  Run here, somebody, and take these canned heat blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuoOyeUj-w

... the ref (riff?) blew right past me...
                  ...Sorry!
                  ...my blues education doesn't go back much past some Chicago blues bars in the '70's and '80's... (got to see & hear B.B. King live though).

Enjoy!

Comment

Glad to have gotten you in touch with your (Canned Heat) roots, Joe! I've seen BB live too, many moons ago. Great show. Saw Buddy Guy too, but he was long in the tooth and needed a boost. Canned heat (Sterno) is a common elixir for bums (homeless). It's basically all about imbibing methyl alcohol (methanol).
                    Last edited by tplife; 10-26-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Bums are now called "homeless" in our current political climate... (no fan of political correctness here, though I try to contain myself).
                      Methanol gets converted to formaldehyde (embalming fluid) in a person's liver and basically turns tissue and organs to plastic... a relatively slow, painful poison.

...and a reason not to burn methanol (yellow Heet/fuel line antifreeze) in a stove; the fumes given off cannot be good for anyone...

"...and now back to our regularly scheduled program..."

Enjoy!

Comment

Joe, that's why "canned heat is killing" Tommy Johnson. Next time I'll explain Granny Liquor and the "walking farts": Chemists are a lot of fun around a campfire, lol. And we still call them bums in my neighborhood, no PC here, just TRUMP yard signs and "Don't Tread On Me" flags, haha.

Comment

I have a wood stove I bought used for $100 that I use in my used boy scout wall tent, 10X12 feet. The stove pipe goes up through the roof. Works great, and will burn you out if you keep putting wood in it. On cold mornings it's a real nice item to have. It measures about 16 inches wide and 22 inches long.

Comment

Originally posted by highlonesome View Post
                            I have a wood stove I bought used for $100 that I use in my used boy scout wall tent, 10X12 feet. The stove pipe goes up through the roof. Works great, and will burn you out if you keep putting wood in it. On cold mornings it's a real nice item to have. It measures about 16 inches wide and 22 inches long.
                            How do you carry/transport it (and the pipes) without getting everything sooty?
                            Do you have any issues with sparks burning holes in the tent?

Tried a (collapsible) woodstove; then gave up the second time that I had to get up to reload and re-fire it around 3:00 am.
                            ... traditional is often one of the best solutions...

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            X