Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to retire the 'ol 2 burner Coleman propane stove...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to retire the 'ol 2 burner Coleman propane stove...

...Been cleaning up and packing away the camp gear for the winter and unfortunately the Trusty-Rusty old Coleman, propane 2 burner needs replacing; the last 30 years of rattling around in Jeeps, trailers and pickups has resulted in accumulated damage- worn paint, dents, rust, (hinge pin was replaced several years ago) that has become too extreme for farther repair, IMO.
    I could simply get a rectangular, replacement but I really want something a bit more compact and modern.

Faced with a 2 burner replacement my choices have been run down to the Coleman Fold-N-Go stove 10,000 BTU burners , compact storage; but a reputation for poor heat regulation.

I am more than a little concerned about the lack of windscreen and the reputation of all or nothing heat.

There is a half version of the Fold-n-go and one that incorporates a grill though they both seem to have heat regulation issues.

Another (though Spendy-$350...(Gasp)) option is the Jetboil base camp; it has a good reputation and apparently solves the problems of the Coleman Fold-N- go.

...Excelent reviews and reputation...

...Just found a half Jetboil base camp/genesis stove announcement;
    http://www.snewsnet.com/press-releas...-camp-kitchen/
    Haven't found the actual product yet.

I can continue to use the old Svea 123R for single burner cooking; though its upright stance is occasionally concern making...

Another alternative is that technical progress is starting to make low power consumption microwaves possible (by eliminating the transformer and magnetron) these could be big once they get a market foothold making vehicular and battery powered food & water heating via microwaves practical.

A bit farther out is the possibility of using induction cooking while vehicle camping though this requires a very large battery and/or a generator... (got a single "burner" induction hot plate and it works great in the kitchen; just need to bring the generator along in the spring...using up even more room).

I really need to reduce the gear volume and the stove is one possible way to do it.

Thoughts???

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-17-2016, 09:09 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Time to retire the 'ol 2 burner Coleman propane stove...

I would definitely skip the Coleman - I've seen too many negative reviews myself. The Jetboil looks promising. They make good stoves, but the HalfGen might be too new to get good balanced reviews on just yet. Also, if you're really going for small, the Jetboil looks huge and heavy for a single burner. I stopped carrying my Coleman two burner in favor of an MSR WindPro II, a model that seems to have been discontinued but still be found online if you dig around online for remaining stock. You can also get the WhisperLite Universal which gives you an almost identical stove as the Windpro and adds the ability to use white gas. The simmer control is very similar to that of a Coleman and it folds up nice and small (fits in my small teapot). I added a folding windscreen and it's been a great addition to my gear for the last 2-3 years.

The Windpro II

The Whisperlite Universal
    Last edited by MacGyver; 10-17-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

This is a timely thread for me. We sometimes use our Coleman propane 2 burner (basic model) that we bought in 1991...depends on the menu. But over the past few years we've pared down what gear/clothing/food etc we bring (and the size of the stuff that we do bring). It's kindof a game...can we rethink and "retool" over time to smaller/lighter without giving up comfort? Sometimes it is a change in process/how we camp. We now detail plan our menu (and pared down all the stuff we brought and never ate/used on a trip-this is surprisingly difficult! lol). We cook/heat most of our food over the campfire in foil or metal sticks and generally only use a stove to boil water or cook small sides like noodles, etc. If the 2 burner isn't needed on the trip due to menu or a small # of campers (1-3), I will just bring my Optimus Crux Lite stove and boil water/cook small amounts. Soooo...I guess I use both...a 2 burner on a few occasions and the small Crux backpacker stove most of the time with it.

This brings me to the topic. I camp year round. In Indiana, that means below freezing nighttime/morning temps 3-4 months of the year. The Optimus Crux is a fantastic little burner, but those isobutane/propane canisters really lose effectiveness as the temps drop and the canisters cool further during use. I've been looking around at a canister stove that can be inverted for more effective use during the cold (less efficient as you're burning liquid fuel blend instead of pressurized gas when upright). My big burner Coleman fuel 2 burner stoves are even bigger/heavier than the smaller 2 burner Coleman propane model I have...but the white gas works better for me in cold weather. I'll bring it if the menu/temp calls for it.

I'm looking for something smaller, easier than what I have/use now. One stove that can do it all in a small size. One burner generally works for me 90% of the time.

Similar to MacGyver's MSR suggestions, I've also been looking at the Optimus brand with their Vega and Polaris (new last year) models. The Vega is a isobutane/propane blended fuel canister only stove, but you can invert the canister in colder conditions to get the better cold weather performance (and drain out every bit of fuel in the can). Add an adapter and you could even use the 1lb "green" propane canisters. Packs down very small in it's storage bag. Prices vary.

What caught my eye however was the Polaris. Truly multi-fuel capable, it has connections/valves which allow you to burn canister fuel (upright or inverted) or liquid fuel like white gas, kerosene, jet fuel, etc. I think this is an all season, all temps option for someone who only needs one good versatile burner. There is no need to change out the jet to use a different type of fuel unlike some brands. Decent size pot stand diameter. Comes with a magnetic needle cleaning tool, a wind screen, a reflective base circle to set the stove on (ie...in snow), the .4 oz liquid fuel bottle/pump and storage bag. Packs down small enough to put in a pack. Prices vary widely out on the WWW.

The Optimus Vega:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimus Vega.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	70685

The Optimus Polaris:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimus Polaris.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	70686
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Happy Joe: Oh, forgot...that is one sweet Svea. Great picture.
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-17-2016, 05:24 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Having been a chef before becoming a chemist (better hours and more $), I find that a 2-burner is a must-have in camp. That said, yep, using other than the JetBoil base-camp rigs, you'll be making elaborate windscreen structures or you won't be doing much cooking (I backpacked with my own trusty SVEA on the East Coast). We recently graduated from the standard Coleman propane rectangular to a new Primus rectangular, and it's adjustment valving is superior to the Coleman models. You might also consider a CampChef option, they make a standard Coleman-sized stove in addition to the big one that requires a single-axle trailer, lol. YMMV!
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Have this Coleman grill/burner unit.
            https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Grill-Stove/44503985

Works well, even with a picnic table that slants downhill when a Lynx Leveler is placed underneath.
            Attached Files
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              ...you'll be making elaborate windscreen structures...
              Remove from pouch.
              Unfold.
              Surround stove.
              Done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TI9KPS

Comment

...I guess the sever is working again...

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                Happy Joe: Oh, forgot...that is one sweet Svea. Great picture.
                ...Its a Web pic mine is considerably blacker...

Thanx! all, for the suggestions/responces... I'm not going to go for an ultra small /backpacking stove (I don't believe).
                Nor likely anything bigger that Ol' trusty-rusty; which has been a great stove (older version of this web pic);

The only thing undesirable about the Svea is it wants to be a bit tippy due to its upright stance/small footprint (it also likes a windscreen but they are cheap and easy, similar to MacG's pic).
                It seems that Johnson outdoor bought Jetboil so the half stove is likely delayed (if it happens at all ).

I rarely need 2 burners anymore; the last trip out I didn't even bring the Coleman.
                ..And I do really like the compact (fry pan covered) single Jetboil (hoping for a Christmas release to retailers).

I believe that I will inventory the local pawnshops as it gets closer to Christmas and see what turns up...
                As a semi worst case, I can likely remachine the valve on the Coleman single burner to allow better control; I do hate the valve on the bottle though (web pic);

...which, probably, won't be a big deal if I find one in good shape at a pawn shop.

The absolutely worst case would be to simply replace Ol' T-R with a newer model (~ $40)...although the way Coleman stuff is going down hill it would likely mean reworking/modifying it.

I have looked at other rectangular stoves but since getting away from camp chef-ery, I really can't justify the space; a fancy camping meal for me, now, is to grill some meat over the fire (coals) then open up some side dish containers from the cooler; more typical is a cold sandwich and chips or a heated (next to the fire) can of stew/chili. The stove mostly gets used for morning coffee.

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-21-2016, 07:55 AM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

.. an update;
                  Internet gossip (facebook; never a reliable source, IMO) says that the half gen stove from Jet boil is due to launch January 11 2017...

PIC from http://www.snewsnet.com/press-releas...-camp-kitchen/

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  X