Buying property to build a camp site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying property to build a camp site.

We bought a 1.5 acre piece of land for camping in the Adirondacks we have been a few times and other times we have been going there to just clean up the overgrown property while keeping as many trees as possible. Other times we just go have a picnic there.
    Anyone else doing this. Future ideas maybe power and a well septic for long time stays. We are currently waiting for a survey to figure out the exact lines so we don't trespass any properties.

Here is a street view of the property.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4455206,-73.7929918,3a,75y,84.54h,83.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svh0mZIoQr0Sja3cirWHHeQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

Here is a picture of the brook area.

No outhouse so we bring a portable toilet.

Re: Buying property to build a camp site.

There is a couple near us, in our rural community, that bought a piece of land for that purpose. I don't see them that much but they have developed a nice acre or so, and they keep it maintained.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Good for you. Nice looking spot that will always be there when you want it. Enjoy!

Comment

Nice
        i would consider building an adirondack leanto on it,
        such as

i have land that i camp on just outside ADP
        this is one of my camps i have set up

on the google map see not much around, is that state land behind you?

Comment

I have 50 acres with house (daughter lives there), grass hay ground and the pond which I keep mowed on the flatter side and have my lockable storage bins sitting on. The platform is landscaping timbers covered with 3/4" outdoor grade plywood. I keep a push mower locked with a cable under a tarp and some firewood there as well. Oh, and the jon boat my Dad bought in the 60's. I tent camp there. It is on the backside of the property and no close neighbors, they rent part out for crops and hunt the rest. I really want to bring in a portable building as a cabin but not enough $$ yet. Good luck on developing your little get away spot!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            There is thousands of acres of state land just down the road with a huge pond.

Our piece still needs a lot of brush clearing but we are working at it as much as we can. Survey will help us do more brush clearing so we know where we are able to clear.

Luckily we own roughly 200' of land on both sides of the road. Some is wetland but just enough dry land for us to do what we want.

My next spot to clear is going to be in the back side of the pond. And the spot you see by the road i leveled out and want to let some brush grow back near the road edge for privacy and keep the flat area for hanging out by the pond.

Comment

Really like your camp setup. I would love a leantoo.

Originally posted by terasec View Post
              Nice
              i would consider building an adirondack leanto on it,
              such as

i have land that i camp on just outside ADP
              this is one of my camps i have set up

Comment

I am very jealous of you. I have wanted to do this for years.

I keep reminding myself of something someone who had some land with a cabin told me a few years ago. That they found that they didn't go anywhere else because they felt either that since they had the cabin they should use it and there was always maintenance to do up there.....but I know that I am just trying to make myself feel better about what I don't have.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  I am very jealous of you. I have wanted to do this for years.

I keep reminding myself of something someone who had some land with a cabin told me a few years ago. That they found that they didn't go anywhere else because they felt either that since they had the cabin they should use it and there was always maintenance to do up there.....but I know that I am just trying to make myself feel better about what I don't have.
                  You will find something. I looked for years before I found something that did not cost a fortune. I also did not want a huge piece of land either that I had to pay thousands a year for taxes. Just want a small piece of property that I can just to go relax and enjoy the outdoors. Property was cheap but it was not surveyed and also very overgrown and needs a lot of areas leveled out.

Comment

Not much happening. Still waiting for our survey. How we setup the property and go about getting permits from the town and apa all depends on our surveyor. Just need to know where the lines are. We are hoping we actually own an abandoned driveway. But not getting our hopes up. Worst case we make a new driveway.

Comment

Have not been here in a long time but we got the survey. Worked out good it shows we own from the brook/pond to an existing driveway.

Comment

Some photos of camp so far.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice area, been there quite a few times. I have property a bit further north and we camp there often. Fortunately, we also have a house on the property so those who aren't quite ready to rough it can stay in the house and a full list of new condo launches, and the rest trek off into the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by rrolleston View Post
                            We bought a 1.5 acre piece of land for camping in the Adirondacks we have been a few times and other times we have been going there to just clean up the overgrown property while keeping as many trees as possible https://m.yelp.com/biz/we-buy-houses-chicago-chicago-8. Other times we just go have a picnic there.
                            Anyone else doing this. Future ideas maybe power and a well septic for long time stays. We are currently waiting for a survey to figure out the exact lines so we don't trespass any properties.

Here is a street view of the property.
                            https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4455206,-73.7929918,3a,75y,84.54h,83.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svh0mZIoQr0Sja3cirWHHeQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

Here is a picture of the brook area.

No outhouse so we bring a portable toilet.
                            Hi, we're also looking to sell our property and it's located in Chicago. I've same plan like you that I will invest in any other side business to bear my expenses. There's an issue that most real estate agents don't offer quick cash but we want quick cash after selling our house and this process should be completed within 5-7 working days. Can anyone pls help me to find out any trusted firm or real estate agent? TIA
                            Last edited by roomdistrict; 03-02-2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X