X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first camp out with scouts

I have always been a self taught solo camper
    so my first trip with my 6 yr old cub scout was quite an experience,
    was quite impressed with the pack and scouts in general.
    have to give credit, lots of credit to scout leaders who organize such trips,
    lots of work involved and lots of dedication to the kids
    our group total was about 40 people,
    from meal preps, clean up, activities, they organized a great trip and even with rain no complaints from the kids or parents
    since this type of camping is much different than my solo camping am looking to restructure my gear to match the camping,
    first thing i am in the market for is better tent, my solo tent is too small, my borrowed 8 person tent was too large, now looking for something in the middle that fits nicely on 8x8 platforms
    also looking for small backpack for my 6 yr old son so he can start to carry some of his gear,
    am always learning and looking forward to my next phase of camping experiences

Re: first camp out with scouts

Sounds like a great trip and a great learning experience, too.

My four person Coleman in my avatar is 8x7 and is my favorite size. I can fit a cot, small table and a chair inside of it and still have plenty of room to stand in to dress. I bought it for one season of use and it is on its fifth year.

My Guide Gear teepee tent is 7x7 and is much lighter and folds up much smaller. It works great with a sleeping pad/sleeping bag on the floor, but a cot touches the walls. If I am not having a flareup of hip issues, it is a great option, but there are times I need to sleep on a cot.

When it is just me, I alternate between the two.
    Last edited by actad; 10-10-2016, 04:50 PM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
      I have always been a self taught solo camper
      so my first trip with my 6 yr old cub scout was quite an experience,
      was quite impressed with the pack and scouts in general.
      have to give credit, lots of credit to scout leaders who organize such trips,
      lots of work involved and lots of dedication to the kids
      our group total was about 40 people,
      from meal preps, clean up, activities, they organized a great trip and even with rain no complaints from the kids or parents

This has been my experience also. A good Pack runs with precision...or chaos errupts...lol...they're still 6-10 year old boys. lololol. My son was in Cubs and is now a Boy Scout. It's been good stuff for him...and for us.

since this type of camping is much different than my solo camping am looking to restructure my gear to match the camping,
      first thing i am in the market for is better tent, my solo tent is too small, my borrowed 8 person tent was too large, now looking for something in the middle that fits nicely on 8x8 platforms
      also looking for small backpack for my 6 yr old son so he can start to carry some of his gear,
      am always learning and looking forward to my next phase of camping experiences

I would go with the 4 person tent. Fits on platforms, great for 2 campers/gear. Generally easy to set-up in the dark with a headlamp (something to consider-it's been dark on several occasions when we finally arrived at a campground). Heck, you two can use it together on other camp trips outside of scouts and still have room. It's just a good size tent to have available in the camping gear quiver, now and in the future.

Take a look at Alps Mountaineering. Our troop uses the 4 man Taurus AL for the boys. It's a good rugged tent with solid fabrics and good waterproofing at a decent price point (other Alps tent models, which are similar, can often be found on sale at SierraTradingPost, and others..even REI).

Camping arrangements change in Boy Scouts...but he's got a bit of time yet. Enjoy this time, it goes by quickly.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I think my first experience camping was in the scouts---we built a lean-to out of a tarp or something, it was large enough for several of us.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

terasec - I didn't think of this yesterday, but if you have a Scout store reasonably close to your town, you might want to stop in (or call) and see what they may have for smaller backpacks and/or get their recommendations as to the appropriate size for your son since they are used to dealing with Cub/Boy Scout sized folks. In addition to new gear, I believe you can, if available, purchase gently used gear like backpacks at a decent price. Just a thought. I really don't know how big a pack he wants/needs/can carry as that depends on the amount and size of the gear going into it and how big he is. If you are getting him one to get him used to packing and carrying (ie...carrying some of his stuff, but not all), then you obviously have more options.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            terasec - I didn't think of this yesterday, but if you have a Scout store reasonably close to your town, you might want to stop in (or call) and see what they may have for smaller backpacks and/or get their recommendations as to the appropriate size for your son since they are used to dealing with Cub/Boy Scout sized folks. In addition to new gear, I believe you can, if available, purchase gently used gear like backpacks at a decent price. Just a thought. I really don't know how big a pack he wants/needs/can carry as that depends on the amount and size of the gear going into it and how big he is. If you are getting him one to get him used to packing and carrying (ie...carrying some of his stuff, but not all), then you obviously have more options.
            he's a little fella at 6 yrs old,
            most of the youth backpacks i have seen are geared toward +10 yr olds and such
            i dont expect him to carry alot, but something to strap a sleeping bag and/or pad to,
            carrying short distance, just to get him used to carrying his own stuff,

Comment

he's a little fella at 6 yrs old,
              most of the youth backpacks i have seen are geared toward +10 yr olds and such
              i dont expect him to carry alot, but something to strap a sleeping bag and/or pad to,
              carrying short distance, just to get him used to carrying his own stuff,
              How 'bout a knapsack like all the school kids use for their books? Maybe modified with some webbing sewn on to attach bungee cords.

Comment

Working...
              X