Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall camping gear- What should we bright with us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall camping gear- What should we bright with us?

i love the beautiful scenery in Autumn, but a great camping travel should be very well prepared. So what are necessary camping gears in this season? I love sleep under the stars.

Re: Fall camping gear- What should we bright with us?

Still mosquitos here, so might need some protection - spray, netting, citronella, Thermocell etc.

I went camping last weekend and brought two extremes of everything such as long pants & shorts, T shirt and flannel shirt. Used them, too. Went from 93 degrees to 54 degrees.

Gets dark earlier, so factor that into your activities. We finished fishing at 3 to get back and eat before dark since we were at a non-electric campground. Just easier to eat and stow stuff in daylight. On the plus side, I had more time to try out my candle lantern.
    Last edited by actad; 09-28-2016, 06:35 PM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by wishdo View Post
      i love the beautiful scenery in Autumn, but a great camping travel should be very well prepared. So what are necessary camping gears in this season? I love sleep under the stars.
      Forgive me for being a bit of a jerk here but there really isn't any way to answer that question. You basically just said I am sick, what should I take?

Without knowing where you are and what kind of camping you are doing (backpacking, car camping, camper, ect.) its hard to answer.

But my first thought was to bring a camera.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Not certain about sleeping under the stars in the fall as there is snow in the mountains right now...
        In general terms, vehicle camping, as a basic kit, I bring
        water; for one person about 5 gallons for a weekend - more if desert camping.
        Trash bags to clean the site when you are ready to leave.
        Food; what you like, almost always hot dogs for roasting over the fire, usually bread and lunchmeat as well as chips and munchies...backed up with pasta, cheese, hamburger, canned stew and chili.
        a stove to heat the rations (can be done over a campfire; a stove makes a fine backup for rainy days).
        Extra fuel for the stove.
        A pot to heat them in (though the canned stuff can be heated in the can).
        a plate to eat off and silverware to eat with (I detest plastic ware the forks almost always break) wallymart has stainless ware cheap enough to give away.
        a cup to drink out of although a canteen works.
        a cooler, with ice, to keep the meat, cheese butter and drinks cool.
        A sleeping bag (per person) rated at least 10 degrees colder than the forecast temperature at the campsite along with a poncho and liner, or a fleece sleep sack, to layer the bag if it gets colder than expected.. I carry mine in a military rubberized wet weather bag; nothing much worse than trying to sleep in a wet sleeping bag.
        a pillow per person (half sized, wallymart).
        a wool watch cap/stocking cap (helps keep my head warm when sleeping).
        an insulating pad usually with a cot.
        a tent with minimal, but adequate to prevent condensation, venting to stay warm and dry; mesh ceiling vents are nice until you find that you need a much heavier sleeping gear due to the cold (I primarily mountain and desert camp; can't stand bugs and humidity).
        clothing for the weather including a wide brimmed hat for sun protection and hiking boots for foot protection and a jacket for cool mornings a long sleeved shirt for sun protection.
        a poncho (see sleeping bag) serves for rain protection (a light rain jacket can also help if you don't bring a rainproof poncho).
        a chair per person and a spare.
        a large Svensaw to cut dead firewood... live wood doesn't burn well; only use dead wood.
        a BIC lighter and a spare to light the fire.
        A military trifold entrenching tool to clear fire pits and dig cat holes (to bury excrement) toilet paper, in a waterproof, or at least resistant, container, to finish the job before refilling the cat hole.
        a hammer to pound in tent stakes.
        A tarp or canopy to provide rain/sun shelter.
        100 feet of paracord to rig the tarp.
        A small first aid kit to take care of injuries beyond splinter and minor cuts/abrasions etc.
        chapstick
        sunblock
        bugspray
        Soap washrag towel and toothbrush, unscented baby wipes are also useful.

A good attitude; don't sweat the little things...

...I have likely forgotten some things like an LED flashlight per person... nothing new there I almost always forget something when camping myself...

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
          On the plus side, I had more time to try out my candle lantern.
          My candle lantern has completely replaced my Coleman for solo outings. It's all I need any more. Plus, no fuel to carry (and leak). One candle will typically last me 2 nights, maybe 3.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
          X