Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping For a Back Packing Trip

Make A Backpacking Equipment List

I have hit the trail every few years since 1978 and usually I take everything that I need because I utilize a list. I am not a genius. I search the web for a list and modify it to fit my needs. I use a basic food, clothing and shelter list. As long as I have my sleeping bag, shelter, food, and a cook kit, I am good to go.

Problem is either my buddy or someone else forgets something important. I cannot count how many times someone forgot all their eating utensils, water filter, or something to light the stove with.

I took my 2 teenage boys on back packing trip this August with my best friend and 5 of his boys ages 22 or younger. It was called "The Journey To Manhood Trip". He let all of his boys pack their own equipment. Good lesson for everyone. When one suffers, the entire group suffers.

Physically Look At All Your Backpacking Gear On The Camping List

I took my boys outside with a back packing list in hand told them to dump all their gear on a $3 Harbor Freight blue tarp. If they did not get the clue by this time, I planned on letting them suffer a little. Proper planning paid off big time. My boys brought everything laid out on the tarp into our van.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gearspreadout_edited-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	72938
    My youngest son did forget his air mattress in the van and his older brother Josiah felt sorry for him and carried it the first day!

Proper planning makes for a great trip

Two of my friends boys did not pack long sleeve shirts or jackets. These boys suffered. Every night was below freezing. One night, our water bottles froze solid.

Most of us packed enough clothing to stay warm in sub freezing weather. Those who packed too much donated clothing to the guys who packed too little.

Physically Prepare Before A Back Packing Trip

Besides proper equipment planning, physical fitness is paramount. I take my boys on walks or to the skate park every week. I don't subscribe to making them train. Rather, I let their play time get them ready. My 2 boys seemed to do as good as myself and I am a former ultra long distance runner. I recently switched over to high intensity interval training. My boys did zero training. However, frequent trips to the pool and skateboard got them trail ready.

Same held true with 4 out 5 of my friend's kids. One did nothing and he puked a few times on the trail. We slowed down a lot for him and never chided him for lack of training. He paid a huge price for not training. We benefited from the frequent rests.
    Last edited by markkee; 09-25-2016, 10:19 PM.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Prepping For a Back Packing Trip

I think a lot of this is good advice for any trip.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

good advise
      there is a time when kids have to go and do it on their own
      while i have a few years before i get to that with my son,
      have been preparing my nieces for such
      something i do before camping season is to remind them to get their camping gear together , before waiting for last minute, alot easier to fix, replace. adjust gear when you have + 1 month as opposed to running around just days before any trip

Comment

My boys are looking forward to the next back packing trip.

We are gathering light weight gear early. The boys will be much bigger next year and will carry more of the weight.
        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
        sigpic

Comment

A lot of BP'ers (especially us UL types) make spreadsheets of our gear, complete with weight. The goal is to keep paring down the weight every trip. Also helps with trip prep, and keeps you from throwing things in, "just in case".
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Great tips. I forgot my Top QUILT AND under Quilt once and learned my lesson . Now I make a list, pack and repack.

Comment

Working...
            X