Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the camping bug now - any winter camping advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got the camping bug now - any winter camping advice?

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    A very timely post. I'd been looking at the three candle UCO Candlelier for years and trying to find a review, a forum post or something online that said it was used to heat a tent and how well it worked. All I've found is that it's great for keeping coffee hot, can boil small amounts of water and that it (supposedly) puts out 5,000 BTUs. Well... I stopped looking, found a decent price on the lantern and bought one. I also bought the new Kodiak 2-person tent recently and I'm hoping to get out in the next few weeks so I can try the new setup. So, after I make the trip, there will finally be someone online who posts his findings. That might actually wind up having someone else looking to heat their tent with the lantern to find this forum!

actad and MacGyver - Please definitely post up your results on the UCO 3 candle Candlelier when you get a chance to use it. I have a single UCO candle model I bring, but the heat it puts out really doesn't seem to "warm" the tent much (it's just a single candle-lol). More of a psychological thing seeing the flame...oh, and it does good for warming your hands if you keep'em right above it. I'd be interested in how much heat and usefulness you find in the 3 candle model. I only take the candle lantern inside the tent on solo trips so I can make sure it has a wide clearance as it burns.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
      actad and MacGyver - Please definitely post up your results on the UCO 3 candle Candlelier..."
      Oh - no doubt! Like I said before, I've been trying for at least a couple of years to find someone, somewhere, that's tried it and never come up with anything. I'm not sure if it's going to happen yet, but I think I've got tomorrow cleared for a day off. If so, I'm going on a solo sanity saver trip in the A.M. Report to follow when I return.

Cross your fingers for me that my boss doesn't find out I might be off. The office manager is trying to help me out on this one.

Comment

I think I've got tomorrow cleared for a day off. If so, I'm going on a solo sanity saver trip in the A.M. Report to follow when I return.

Cross your fingers for me that my boss doesn't find out I might be off. The office manager is trying to help me out on this one.
        Good Luck Mac! Hope you're able to get the day off and sneak away for a day/night to get out there (although the temps may not necessitate the use of the candle lantern for heat). I have well over a month til my next trip (almost 7 weeks!).
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Figures... Last night I checked the weather for western Maryland and it said temps in the mid 50s - just barely cool enough that I might get some idea of how much heat the lantern puts out. I just checked again and it's saying 60+. Still might show me something, but I guess the real report will have to come in a few weeks when the whole gang is supposed to go.

Comment

OK - I'm back. Too warm to bother with the lantern Friday night, but the temps dropped below 50° Saturday, so I broke out the Candellier. Now I know why no one has posted anything about heating a tent with it. It made no difference at 40 some degrees, so it's certainly not going to help in actual cold weather.

Comment

...Now you might wish to try a flower pot heater (although it didn't work for me).

What I have found (kind of) works (as a chill breaker in cool weather, NOT as actual tent heaters);

A Coleman dual fuel 2 mantle lantern (actually works pretty well, but can emit fumes).
              An Aladdin lamp actually puts out enough heat to be a potential fire hazard ... but uses quite a bit of fuel.
              A single flat (~3/4" wide) wick oil lamp will break the evening chill in a (not excessively vented) tent on a cool, but not cold, evening... not for arctic weather
              a Trangia alchohol burner (works to break the chill but needs frequent refilling)... not for arctic weather.

A 4,000/5,000 BTU propane heater will definitely break the chill, even warm a tent, but a one pound can of propane will not last the whole night at rated output.

What I am going to try next year as a chill breaker; 13 ounce can of gelled alcohol fake fireplace fuel (lasts about 3 or 4 hours and can heat a small room)... caution the can gets extremely hot.

I find myself tempted by those small table top alcohol fireplaces (much classier than a small paint can of gelled fuel).

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-26-2016, 08:08 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

OK - I'm back. Too warm to bother with the lantern Friday night, but the temps dropped below 50° Saturday, so I broke out the Candellier. Now I know why no one has posted anything about heating a tent with it. It made no difference at 40 some degrees, so it's certainly not going to help in actual cold weather.
                Thanks for the update. I was afraid of that. My single candle lantern didn't make much difference in the single digits as to adding any warmth to a 3 person, 4 season tent (ie. a full double wall tent that has an inner tent where all mesh windows/vents can be zipped up from fully open to fully closed/covered with breathable fabric). Maybe the single candle helped with reducing condensation in my case (who knows???), but I was really hoping the additional 2 candles in your lantern might have provided some more noticeable heat. Guess not. lol

This winter, I think I will try the propane lantern tent "preheat" just before bed and fire it up again upon waking. I just don't have the distance clearances needed to safely place/run a Mr Buddy in either of my winter/cold weather camping tents.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  Thanks for the update. I was afraid of that. My single candle lantern didn't make much difference in the single digits as to adding any warmth to a 3 person, 4 season tent (ie. a full double wall tent that has an inner tent where all mesh windows/vents can be zipped up from fully open to fully closed/covered with breathable fabric). Maybe the single candle helped with reducing condensation in my case (who knows???), but I was really hoping the additional 2 candles in your lantern might have provided some more noticeable heat. Guess not. lol

This winter, I think I will try the propane lantern tent "preheat" just before bed and fire it up again upon waking. I just don't have the distance clearances needed to safely place/run a Mr Buddy in either of my winter/cold weather camping tents.
                  Yeah - I wasn't too hopeful on the Candlelier trick either. Had to try it though. I'll have to find the parts I made it from again, but I rigged up a stand to run my Coleman Blackcat heater off of a bulk can. It doesn't need quite the same clearances as the Buddy heaters and I've used it in my 3-person dome without a problem. 3,000 BTUs won't really cut it in Winter, but it does fine for Fall temperatures. I also figure the canvas will hold heat in better than with nylon.

Comment

Working...
                  X