16 oz propane bottle length of use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 oz propane bottle length of use

The green Coleman 16 oz propane bottles... how long do those last when cooking? Going on a trip, have no idea.

Re: 16 oz propane bottle length of use

The energy content of liquid propane gas is about 91,400 BTU/gallon. One gallon of propane weighs about 4.24 pounds. So the energy content of a 1 pound bottle would be 91,400/4.24 = 21,556 BTU. If you have a 2 burner camp stove with two 10,000 BTU burners, and ran them both full blast for a little over an hour, you would use up the bottle.

In terms of real world cooking, it depends entirely on how you cook at camp. If it turns out that one 1 pound bottle is not enough, an alternative to taking several disposable green bottles would be a refillable 5, 10, 11, or 20 pound tank, depending on your needs.

Comment

Agree with Fred - we used up 1 bottle and got about 1 hour of cooking time on it using both burners.
      "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

get you a liquid fuel Coleman stove. I can generally cook all weekend on a tank of fuel which is probably around a quart.

Comment

We get more than an hour on the Walmart version propane bottles that are two for under $7- anywhere from five to seven meals cooktime per bottle. Our stove is a Coleman 20,000 btu burner/grille combo
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

It's a tough question to answer just right. From past experience, I've found the same as others have mentioned. When cooking on a good two burner stove, and running the burners pretty high I get about an hour. I don't always do that though, sometimes I just use one burner and simmer things for a while, and I've never timed it or really run out. I also have a two burner Coleman X-Cursion Grill that uses the 1 lb bottles, and I might squeeze an hour of a bottle there if I'm lucky, and I cook on low with it.

Comment

Working...
            X