Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup, routine and activities in camp

Over the years we have settled into a pretty standard routine in camp;
    After arriving (hopefully in low range four wheel drive) we break out the chairs & relax/celebrate with a drink (sometimes a cold drink from the cooler sometimes coffee from the thermos).
    Then the site is examined for trees (shade), flatness, smoothness & levelness of potential tent locations.
    The cooler is unloaded from the vehicle and located in a shady spot (sometimes covered with a solar blanket shiny side out).
    The ground is then gone over and rocks, pine cones, sticks etc. removed.
    A heavy ground cloth/tarp is spread out.
    the tent is unloaded and spread on the ground cloth.
    Some fine tuning of door direction and distance to the (future)fire is often done (don't want any (more) holes burnt in the tent by sparks).
    the corners are typically staked first.
    the tent is erected, then the sides staked (seems to result in the tent being more evenly stretched)... some times the corners are relocated slightly.
    The rest of the stuff is unpacked.
    At shadeless sites (desert) a canopy is erected & staked sometimes with a ground cloth more often without.
    ...time for a shady sit down to admire the result...
    If the site includes an existing fire ring it is cleaned out and often rebuilt (inorganic trash is bagged in a heavy duty trash bag.
    The site is policed up and the debris bagged.
    Time for lunch and a shady sit down...(perhaps a beer...)
    After a short post lunch walkabout its time to search out some standing dead wood snags, push them over, and drag them back to camp.
    they are typically cut up with a folding bow saw (Svensaw, large) and the evening's firewood stacked.

Time for a beer and some shade...

What routine do you use to establish camp?

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Setup, routine and activities in camp

Drive up, back in, drop a couple leveling blocks as needed, park, let the dogs out to pee, turn on propane, light the fridge and the water heater pilot lights, grab a couple chairs and a drink. Done.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Setup the music, find a flat spot, hang the tarp, set up the tent, put up the solar and lights, put out the cooking stuff, drink, drink some more. Wait for other people to show up (I'm always first there). Drink some more while watching people fight with their tents and popups.

Comment

We enjoy the process of setting up camp. We're efficient, but in no hurry (unless rain is coming in-then we pick up the pace). As tent campers, we like the challenge of setting up camp and dealing with campsite "obstacles". Every campsite is a bit different for a tent camper...and we find fun in meeting that challenge. Each of us has specific assigned camp chores that we do when we get into camp. As a family, we've been doing this a long time so most of it is second nature now.

Arrive at the site. Pull beverage out of the cooler. Walk around and analyze the site, while enjoying beverage, for best area for the tarp and the flattest spot for tent(s) (along with trying to tuck the tent doorway/vestibule under the protected area of the tarp). All the while thinking overall in terms of drainage, proximity to the firepit, and the best way to pitch tarp/tent to also take advantage of wind breaks, shade, views, privacy, etc.

After site analysis...we pitch the tarp first (always first up-it's our protection from foul weather). Then the tent(s). After that, we get other items out (this is where the assigned chores kick in): bedding and personal duffels into the tents, cooler/lantern/stove/chairs/tripod grill/etc placed/assembled. Our set up is fairly light and minimal, so it's fast and easy to pitch/set-up camp...less than 60 minutes for the 3 of us to be relaxing (not including that site analysis/beverage enjoyment time).
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-16-2016, 05:26 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Setup the music, find a flat spot, hang the tarp, set up the tent, put up the solar and lights, put out the cooking stuff, drink, drink some more. Wait for other people to show up (I'm always first there). Drink some more while watching people fight with their tents and popups.
          LOL! Yup! entertainment is where ever we can find it!

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-17-2016, 08:32 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Pull in and decide where I want the fire and tent. Since my tent is the bed of my truck I sometimes takes a minute to get it into the spot I want it and make it (reasonably) level. Unload the truck and set up the tent. Figure where and how I want the kitchen set up. Build/fix/clean out the fire pit. Set up the inside of the tent. Relax.

Although I think you guys have the right idea with the first steps being music and a drink.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

My set up is pretty fast. Find a level spot for the teardrop and unhook from the Jeep. Set up the shelter. Get out my chair. Sit down with a cool one. Reverse process when I leave.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010205.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	70648

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                Time for lunch and a shady sit down...(perhaps a beer...)
                After a short post lunch walkabout its time to search out some standing dead wood snags, push them over, and drag them back to camp.
                they are typically cut up with a folding bow saw (Svensaw, large) and the evening's firewood stacked.

Time for a beer and some shade...

What routine do you use to establish camp?

Enjoy!
                Gosh how decadent to arrive onsite in time for lunch Prolly never will happen on my end but a grrl can dream.

The night before (when possible) we bring most of our equipment down to the bldg's lobby and either pack it in the SUV or leave it in the back of the lobby.
                Coolers are always the last items to get packed and put in the car just before we leave.

Upon arrival separate the car's contents by what tent they go in and rake the site if need be of sticks and pebbles. Layout tarp, tents and then adults set em up. Kiddos are busy putting beds together in the meantime. Bungee cords strung around the sleeping tent's perimeter. Beds and clothing placed in tents, lights hung in place. Open and set up camp kitchen. Put all dry foods in pantry bags by type. Line coolers up against the tent's side wall opposite the camp kitchen. Load the kids back in the car and go to local supermarket for fresh produce, dairy and ice. Next stop firewood from a roadside stand and it's back to the campsite. Most of the kids scatter to see their friends and adults are left to put the new stuff away. Beer follows soon after and I'm always happy when I plan a cold dinner first night.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  Gosh how decadent to arrive onsite in time for lunch Prolly never will happen on my end but a grrl can dream.

The night before (when possible) we bring most of our equipment down to the bldg's lobby and either pack it in the SUV or leave it in the back of the lobby.
                  Coolers are always the last items to get packed and put in the car just before we leave.

Upon arrival separate the car's contents by what tent they go in and rake the site if need be of sticks and pebbles. Layout tarp, tents and then adults set em up. Kiddos are busy putting beds together in the meantime. Bungee cords strung around the sleeping tent's perimeter. Beds and clothing placed in tents, lights hung in place. Open and set up camp kitchen. Put all dry foods in pantry bags by type. Line coolers up against the tent's side wall opposite the camp kitchen. Load the kids back in the car and go to local supermarket for fresh produce, dairy and ice. Next stop firewood from a roadside stand and it's back to the campsite. Most of the kids scatter to see their friends and adults are left to put the new stuff away. Beer follows soon after and I'm always happy when I plan a cold dinner first night.
                  Yepp'ers... Ain't life grand?
                  ... although that's only for local trips (within about 3/4-4 hours of driving time... I try to load the day before, except for the cooler, which is typically last in.

Enjoy!

Comment

When I get to a campsite my first priority is to get the tent set up. Once the tent is up I set up a tarp covering for my kitchen area, then it is back to the tent to set up the cot, chair, clothing and other 'inside" boxes. Then it is back outside to set up my kitchen, eating, lounging area. Where I camp the raccoons are really bad with an occasional visit from a possum or skunk, so I keep my coolers in the back of my pickup and move it away from the tent at night. That way the critters don't try to get in the tent. I usually get to my campsite sometime in the mid afternoon so my first meal is something really simple like hot dogs so I don't have to cook in the dark that first night. If I have plenty of daylight left after setup then I go to my plan B meal and prepare something more elaborate.

Comment

watching people fight with their tent setup !!!!!!!!! That's me. R U laughing at me?? just kidding. But yes, I can lose my religion setting up tent by myself. I start a fire first - cheerful, chases bugs, gives me hope I will get the tent UP...

Comment

I'm sure the folks across from us were sniggering when we received a new rain fly packaged in the wrong size; I'd have laughed too..oops.
                        Took a few years but I've finally figured out that putting the roof together first makes the job go faster for my cabin style tent.
                        First, for the adults is always unloading the car and putting the tents up. Finally trained the kiddos to put kitchen stuff in the right tent and start putting the beds together. Then it's just a matter of moving the big stuff in and celebrate with a beer. Thennnnnn it's off to the supermarket cause apparently we can never have enough food.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I really like my truck bed method, as camp setup mostly involves lowering the tailgate, which involves a screwdriver since the latch handle broke (a common failing on Toyotas of my vintage). Oh yeah, pulling out the quad chair and guitar, followed by the ubiquitous beer. The hammock thing is a work in progress; fine-tuned it should in theory take about 30 seconds to hang a properly configured hammock. I'm still working on that. If rain is in the offing there is the nuisance of setting up a tarp for daytime dwelling, but still nowhere near the hassle of setting up my monster Coleman tent, which purchase I sincerely regret except for when the wife wishes to camp with me. And even then I still regret it.
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                            I really like my truck bed method, as camp setup mostly involves lowering the tailgate, which involves a screwdriver since the latch handle broke (a common failing on Toyotas of my vintage). Oh yeah, pulling out the quad chair and guitar, followed by the ubiquitous beer. The hammock thing is a work in progress; fine-tuned it should in theory take about 30 seconds to hang a properly configured hammock. I'm still working on that. If rain is in the offing there is the nuisance of setting up a tarp for daytime dwelling, but still nowhere near the hassle of setting up my monster Coleman tent, which purchase I sincerely regret except for when the wife wishes to camp with me. And even then I still regret it.
                            Same for me and our monster tent. My wife won't sleep in the truck bed despite the fact that it is easier to set up, takes up less room and stays warmer at night. Oh well.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Maybe;...Time to get a medium dome (6'x9'x9').. for those short weekenders...
                              Quick, easy big enough for 3 (in a pinch)...

Its how I ended up with several tents; a quickie, and 2 that I can dance around in, the biggest being too much trouble to setup/breakdown for stays of less than a week...

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X