Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on using 5 gallon reusable water bottle for camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on using 5 gallon reusable water bottle for camping?

Any suggestions? I have two of these that I got for .25 each at yard sale a few years back. Thought about using for shower or for washing dishes, anyone know of any good uses or use them while camping?, I'm not even sure if it's practice or worth my time using them.

Re: Suggestions on using 5 gallon reusable water bottle for camping?

Click image for larger version

Name:	51M99Xl2o2L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	70628

http://amzn.to/2bZRGL9
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

This summer whilst tenting at an organized campground our water jug was also used to refill water guns. I dinna think of the possibility first and thus was soaked until I decided to defend the territory the water jug was located at which happily was within sight of the water faucet. When yer opponents are faster than you use yer brain for a strategic win:wink2:.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I was going to suggest using the 7 gallon blue Aqua-tainer (I have 2) but when I looked up the price they are $15-20. The biggest thing I would worry about with the plastic water jugs is them leaking during transport. That would mean water getting loose in camping gear and the possibility of you not having water when you arrive at your camping trip. But I guess if it is loaded away from anything that can't get wet it would work. Especially with that pump John mentioned.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Looking at the reviews of the pump, I don't think it will work very well. It appears to fall apart easily and doesn't have a tight connection to the bottle.

What about using the bottles for something OTHER than water?

Maybe cut off the top and use it for a small trash container (will a small wastebasket bag fit it or a grocery bag?).

Maybe put contact paper on the outside with cutout designs in it and then insert a battery operated LED light inside - add wire to the top and you could hang it from a tree or lantern hook and have some cool ambient lighting.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Sure, here in the Southwest, those empty 5-gallon water bottles are used to pass the time in heavy freeway traffic: Like beachballs at a Jimmy Buffett concert.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ship in a bottle?
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Collect about 50 more and make a raft?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Collect about 50 more and make a raft?
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLeYH8sMAA8
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                  X