Portable collapsible trash bag holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable collapsible trash bag holder

...was wandering through Wally-mart and found their collapsible clothes hamper (~15 inches in diameter and around 25 inches high; un-collapsed). Price; around 5 bucks.
    Picked one up to use as a camping trash bag holder; gave it a test flight over the weekend and it worked well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tent trash can labor day 2016 DSCF0252.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	72934

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Portable collapsible trash bag holder

Good buy!
    Now tell me...what size garbage bag are you using and is this for recycling, regular garbage or both?

Currently I hang a plastic shopping bag from the lantern hanger of a camp kitchen or if traveling w/o the kitchen and 2nd tent I hang both bags from a tree. This works well for developed campgrounds since they tend to have a dumpster on site so we dispose of all our trash daily.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      Good buy!
      Now tell me...what size garbage bag are you using and is this for recycling, regular garbage or both?

Currently I hang a plastic shopping bag from the lantern hanger of a camp kitchen or if traveling w/o the kitchen and 2nd tent I hang both bags from a tree. This works well for developed campgrounds since they tend to have a dumpster on site so we dispose of all our trash daily.
      ...Haven't got a clue on the trash bag size (its from the partial roll that I have been carting around camping for the last several years)... bigger than 15 inches in diameter and around 30 inches to 3 feet tall.

I used it for non food trash, don't want the bears to smell goodies in the tent...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        ...Haven't got a clue on the trash bag size (its from the partial roll that I have been carting around camping for the last several years)... bigger than 15 inches in diameter and around 30 inches to 3 feet tall.

I used it for non food trash, don't want the bears to smell goodies in the tent...

Enjoy!
        I hear you on carrying the same bags for years. Bought a box of cheapo kitchen garbage bags 10 odd years back and still using the same roll. I'll do some math figuring and see if the WM purchase will fit my needs:cool:.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          Good buy!

I have been eyeballing those trash cans all year and am almost positive they are the typical kitchen trash bag size. I usually take an actual trash can an never liked the room that it takes up but over the last couple trips I have been tossing in some metal fittings for my tent that wouldn't really pack well somewhere else so I guess the can stays.

On a related note something new on this last trip was a collapsible hamper for dirty clothes. $5 and worked great. No more piles of dirty clothes in the corner of the tent or worse, packed back in with the clean clothes to get that funky smell in them.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I use this https://www.amazon.com/Household-Ess...ng+laundry+bag for my laundry. It will hang most anywhere and the metal hook goes around 3 sides so it stays open at the top (don't need to fight to get your dirty laundry in there). When I get home, I just grab the bag and toss all the contents and it in the wash, then throw everything back in an take it out to the clipper to put the clothes away. So easy.

For garbage, I have very limited space inside and with Bat-dog I can't leave anything out. So I just use a narrow magazine holder and the smallest wastebasket bags - the holder will sit on the back of my kitchen counter out of reach of Bat-dog and handy while I cook. I dump the bag every day so the small size isn't a problem - and I feel better because I'm using the smallest bag and filling it full. Always hated using a bigger bag and dumping it 1/3 full.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              I have been eyeballing those trash cans all year and am almost positive they are the typical kitchen trash bag size. I usually take an actual trash can an never liked the room that it takes up but over the last couple trips I have been tossing in some metal fittings for my tent that wouldn't really pack well somewhere else so I guess the can stays.

On a related note something new on this last trip was a collapsible hamper for dirty clothes. $5 and worked great. No more piles of dirty clothes in the corner of the tent or worse, packed back in with the clean clothes to get that funky smell in them.
              Stick the dirty clothes in a trashbag (contains the smell better) and use the collapsible hamper with a bag for the non food trash...

Enjoy!

Comment

Stick the dirty clothes in a trashbag (contains the smell better) and use the collapsible hamper with a bag for the non food trash...

Enjoy!
                We do this.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Enjoy!
                  Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  We do this.
                  I would think in a trash bag the clothes would get worse.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

X2.

What exactly are you doing that your dirty clothes are so smelly? From my experience, the biggest factor in smelly clothes in a hamper is when you put damp/wet clothing in and there is no ventilation to dry it out. Putting dirty clothing in a plastic trash bag is just eliminating any opportunity for the contents to dry out before getting that "funky smell".

I do not put damp/wet things in the laundry bag - I set them out to dry first, then put them in the bag. This prevents mildew/mold/smells from building up. With a fabric/mesh bag, air is able to circulate through the bag and contents, thereby reducing any dampness, etc., from building up and creating a smell.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

They some times do , a bit, but the short trip from the bag to the washing machine limits exposure... Just don't put wet/damp clothing in the bag; high chance of mildew...

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                      X2.

What exactly are you doing that your dirty clothes are so smelly? From my experience, the biggest factor in smelly clothes in a hamper is when you put damp/wet clothing in and there is no ventilation to dry it out. Putting dirty clothing in a plastic trash bag is just eliminating any opportunity for the contents to dry out before getting that "funky smell".

I do not put damp/wet things in the laundry bag - I set them out to dry first, then put them in the bag. This prevents mildew/mold/smells from building up. With a fabric/mesh bag, air is able to circulate through the bag and contents, thereby reducing any dampness, etc., from building up and creating a smell.
                      I fully agree on drying clothing before packing.

smell = sweat = hard work (or very hard play)

Doing, remote construction with hand tools or the lumberjack thing (dead trees only) to get relatively large quantities of fire wood is probably the worst/heaviest sweat, sometimes followed closely by a heavy sweat is worked up recovering a heavily mired or rolled vehicle stinkiest is probably nasty swamp mud... definitely rinse and dry before packing.

For very long outings a 5 gallon bucket and plunger makes an OK small load washer (shave/grate some Ivory soap flakes , I don't think they are sold any more, at least around here) and paracord makes a fair to good clothes line. I have heard of folks just sealing up the bucket, with dirty clothes, soap and water then driving fast down a bumpy road but it never gave me great results...

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

X2.

Yea, you're right...and I should have been more clear. I don't put anything wet into a plastic bag due to the mildew potential (unless it is the night before/morning of camp strike day in which case we're heading home and doing laundry). We'll hang dry anything that has gotten wet before throwing it into the bag (generally sweat/mud from hiking). Most of the clothing we take camping is synthetic, "quick dry" fabrics that allow it to dry out fairly fast (except socks-I stick with my wool hiking socks).
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

They some times do , a bit, but the short trip from the bag to the washing machine limits exposure...
                          But isn't the bag so you can put the dirty clothes into something DURING the camping, not just on the way home?

I guess that's why I don't get using a plastic bag for dirty clothes - if you're just using it to go from point A to point B, then that's fine - but if you're using it to store your dirty clothes during a week's trip, then you're just locking the foulness into the clothes and making it more difficult to get rid of with a wash.

I'd also add that even if your clothes are dry when you put them into the bag, with the temp changes between day and night, a plastic bag will often create dampness (think dew) and that will greatly increase the odors coming from the bag and contents. You really want to keep the air circulating around the clothing so condensation can dry out quickly. A plastic bag does the same thing with garbage (hence why I use little garbage bags and dump daily).

Comment

But isn't the bag so you can put the dirty clothes into something DURING the camping, not just on the way home?

I guess that's why I don't get using a plastic bag for dirty clothes - if you're just using it to go from point A to point B, then that's fine - but if you're using it to store your dirty clothes during a week's trip, then you're just locking the foulness into the clothes and making it more difficult to get rid of with a wash.

I'd also add that even if your clothes are dry when you put them into the bag, with the temp changes between day and night, a plastic bag will often create dampness (think dew) and that will greatly increase the odors coming from the bag and contents. You really want to keep the air circulating around the clothing so condensation can dry out quickly. A plastic bag does the same thing with garbage (hence why I use little garbage bags and dump daily).
                            Mostly the plastic bag is a low cost, disposable, means of transporting potentially smelly/very dirty items from the woods, or wherever, to the washer or trash.
                            I would much rather throw away a trash bag than clean or toss a hard to find canvass pilots' bag because it became heavily contaminated (i.e. with noisome swamp mud ,or some thing similar).

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            X