Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

Originally posted by James. View Post
    I keep seeing you talk about this Electric Hickman. What is it?
    You must have forgotten the story here > http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ll=1#post34532

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      You must have forgotten the story here > http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ll=1#post34532
      Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Good story.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Well... two years later, almost to the day, it's the same complaint. Summer won't give up here. We just had a weekend of low humidity, temps at night almost cool, and I couldn't get away. So what do we get this week? Temps back up to near 100° and the humidity back to where it's been all Summer. This sucks! Come on, Fall!

Comment

I'm looking forward to cool temps again. I 'm tired of the heat, and I'm tired of the smoke, and I'm tired of work, and I want to get away again.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This weekend is forecasted to be 40s at night up to 70s in the day at altitude (~9,000 ft)... scattered showers...
            Here in the flat lands it may be in the upper 90's.
            Pro'ly won't bring a heater...
            Loaded up on gasoline, got a bunch-O-munchies along with sandwich mak'ins and brewskis, now I just gotta load the gear (going to travel light with the dome tent).

Enjoy!

Edit; google Hackett gulch on youtube.
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-29-2018, 10:52 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

You got the bunch-o-munchies right, but it's sammich makins.

Comment

Well... two years later, almost to the day, it's the same complaint. Summer won't give up here. We just had a weekend of low humidity, temps at night almost cool, and I couldn't get away. So what do we get this week? Temps back up to near 100° and the humidity back to where it's been all Summer. This sucks! Come on, Fall!
                Agree. My temps are fairly in line with what you've been experiencing. Central IN has been both hot 90+ and humid the past few weeks (and all summer really---lots of 90+ days this year). More heat expected next week. The only time I had comfortable temps was a month ago...at the IN Dunes...where you sort of want warm temps cause.... it's a beach! And it never hit 80. Cloudy. Windy. It was good campsite weather tho.

I'm reserved for a long weekend at a nice site in Brown County State Park (south central IN) mid September. It's our largest park. Meeting a couple coming up from Alabama who have tent camped for over 50 years (note: I've been at it for 40+ years). He YouTube's their tent camping adventures along with a nice narrative on the area attractions. I'm hoping to gain some campfire wisdom and....I might be on the video! lol. I've been corresponding with them for about a year. Should be fun. I hope the temps break some...I've done my share of sweating while camping already this summer.

I hope all of us can find the opportunity to get out soon.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  This weekend is forecasted to be 40s at night up to 70s in the day at altitude (~9,000 ft)... scattered showers...
                  Here in the flat lands it may be in the upper 90's.
                  Pro'ly won't bring a heater...
                  Loaded up on gasoline, got a bunch-O-munchies along with sandwich mak'ins and brewskis, now I just gotta load the gear (going to travel light with the dome tent).

Enjoy!

Edit; google Hackett gulch on youtube.
                  ohhh. That does sound like a good time in a beautiful area/rugged terrain (I did google it). Post up some pics from your adventure.
                  Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                  Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                  Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

You got the bunch-o-munchies right, but it's sammich makins.
                    This is correct. lol

sigpic

Comment

I shouldn't complain because I have gotten out more than I thought I would and just got back from a trip a couple weeks ago....however I am ready to go camping again and I don't think I will be able to until next year. I am thinking that a week long trip will be in order.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Hello, hello, hello
                        Is there anybody in there?
                        Just nod if you can hear me.
                        Is there anybody home?

Comment

Hello, hello, hello
                          Is there anybody home?
                          Come on, now.
                          I hear you're feeling down.
                          Well I can ease your pain,
                          Get you on your feet again

GO CAMPING!

Yea, I've been checking the site the past couple weeks. I've not been out camping since last trip I took recently (don't want to push it with the spouse-lol)...so nothing to really report on that end. Not much on the site here in terms of questions or activity. Not much camping or interest at this time of year I suppose. Me? I'm watching each upcoming weekend weather forecast hoping for a decent snow storm prediction so I can make a quick trip out (I've got the spouse on board for one of these adventures). But.....this weekend it's supposed in hit almost 60 degrees on Saturday...but all day rain/poss T-storms. It starts raining Friday night. Nope - guess I will be putting up the tree this weekend.

sigpic

Comment

Hello, hello, hello
                            Is there anybody home?
                            im home thats the problem
                            im home not out playing in the sticks
                            did pick up couple cross country skis
                            so may start on a new winter hobby

Comment

Yeah - I know the camping forums tend to go dead this time of year - just thought I'd throw something out to spark some movement. My job gets s-l-o-w this time of year and I'm just waiting for it to get to the point where I can take a long weekend, then I'm going out for (hopefully) a snow trip. Wind chills in the 20s today and all I keep thinking about is sitting next to a huge fire surrounded by NOBODY! In the meantime, I'm watching a lot of YouTube - including a bunch of bushcraft and survival shelter videos.
                              Last edited by MacGyver; 11-28-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I nodded - did you see me, eh?

I just went camping last weekend. Started raining as I got on the road and kept going for most of the next 2 days. But Saturday was gorgeous!

I check in often, but it's been quiet.
                                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                                X