MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

I'm not sure how much I'll wind up posting here, but when James commented on the latest incarnation of my avatar, I found myself wanting to reply but not wanting to sidetrack the thread. So this is what I came up with - a place to dump off off-topic stuff.

Yeah, James - that was some hair. Early 80s when mullets ruled. Seems I've always had a thing for wide brim (and green) hats, too.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 10-29-2016, 05:03 PM.

Re: MacGyver's Miscellaneous Mental Meanderings

My off topic comment for the day...sooooooooo who have you've been sarcastic to today? Some days my list is legion but I do find it wasted on those who live over flight paths :angel:.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I'm on more than a few online forums, so I'm constantly spreading the sarcasm worldwide.

This will be delivered with my next Amazon purchase:

Comment

Damn Summer just won't quit here. Last week we had highs in the 80s with nice mid-60s at night. Thought camping was right around the corner. Well... it's 1:30 am right now and it's a muggy 85° with a forecast of a feels like temp of high 90s tomorrow. I am SO ready for Fall!

Comment

I'm just gonna leave this here.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Can't say I get the reference...
            But why are you dumping him on MY dump page? LOL

Comment

Wide brimmed hats....Tilley all the way!
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post

I'm just gonna leave this here.
                Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Can't say I get the reference...
                But why are you dumping him on MY dump page? LOL
                http://www.fuse.tv/2016/03/lucas-till-macgyver-cbs

He's the next generation MacGyver
                Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                  I should have figured. Thanks!
                  I'm semi-old and resistant to change. I don't like remakes. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                    http://www.fuse.tv/2016/03/lucas-till-macgyver-cbs

Winner, winner chicken dinner
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Wishing my life away... A three day work week and a four day weekend in western Maryland. Not happening soon enough! New this trip: A new version of Electric Hickman (actually just a bilge blower fan) and LED rope lights for night time cornhole.

Oh yeah - and Hail to the Redskins! Four Ws in a row!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Wishing my life away... A three day work week and a four day weekend in western Maryland. Not happening soon enough! New this trip: A new version of Electric Hickman (actually just a bilge blower fan) and LED rope lights for night time cornhole.

Oh yeah - and Hail to the Redskins! Four Ws in a row!
                        I thought the updated version of the Electric Hickman was delayed due to technical difficulties.

LED rope lights? Cornhole? Glamping I say...glamping! lol.

Redskins 4 in a row---amazing. Good game yesterday to watch as a football fan. Take some pics of your camp set-up - good to hear you've got an upcoming trip. Are you taking big Kodiak or little Kodiak on this trip? I'm not back "out camping" until November-bummer.
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The adapter for the new Hickman didn't work out, so I just decided to take the blower. It worked great "as is" on my solo trip a few weeks ago, so I didn't bother playing with it. Yep - rope lights and cornhole. These Fall trips are just like most of our other trips - lots of food, tunes and alcohol - just with a lot more people. With all the amenities we wind up with, I guess you could call it glamping. We just call it a party in the woods without the hassle of traffic, neighbors and noise that isn't our own. That's one of the best things about Green Ridge State Forest - it's big enough that you can find sites that are nowhere near the next site, so no one gets disturbed by the all the carrying on.

I thought about taking the new small tent, but the temps are supposed to get down into the 40's, it's probably going to rain at some point, so I figure the 10x10 and the heater will be the best choice. Warmth and easier to change clothes. I do have an adapter to run a 3,000 BTU Coleman Blackcat heater off a 20 lb can and put it in the small tent, but it needs a bit of tweaking to run safely in the more confined space of a 6x8 tent.

Comment

QUOTE=MacGyver;45886]I thought about taking the new small tent, but the temps are supposed to get down into the 40's, it's probably going to rain at some point, so I figure the 10x10 and the heater will be the best choice. Warmth and easier to change clothes. I do have an adapter to run a 3,000 BTU Coleman Blackcat heater off a 20 lb can and put it in the small tent, but it needs a bit of tweaking to run safely in the more confined space of a 6x8 tent.[/QUOTE]

Since I go camping basically every month, every season, I've really been pondering a solution for taking off the chill in the tent in the morning (getting out of a warm sleeping bag on a 10 degree morning isn't much fun) and in the evening (I like to do a bit of reading in the tent before sleep). NOTE: Use of a combustion device inside a tent is not recommended, nor am I endorsing the use of such a device inside a tent. If one does plan to use such a device, the utmost care must be practiced. Use some common sense and have adequate ventilation and fabric-to-heater clearances. I am only planning on using inside the tent for brief periods while I am awake - it will be turned off while sleeping. My down sleeping bag/insulated pad provides plenty of warmth during the night.

Things I've considered and/or tried so far: a single UCO candle (no go), the UCO 3 candle Chandelier (based on your results/testing - also a no go), a small Mr. Heater Buddy unit (I worry about the necessary clearance requirements in my 4 man and 3 man tents I take during the colder months and the taller height on the smallest buddy heater seems to make it more tip prone), a Blackcat or similar heater (I'm finding these are hard to find), and lastly, taking a double mantle propane lantern into the tent and firing it up to remove the chill (my doubles are so tall...and tippy...may be too much heat produced).

Soooo.....the above all either don't throw much heat, throw too much heat in a small space, are too large and/or need large clearances away from fabric walls, tip prone, etc.

Which brings me here: I am going to be trying something different on my upcoming November trip. I purchased a Primus Easy Light Lantern:

https://www.amazon.com/Primus-P-2245...mus+easy+light

Click image for larger version

Name:	primus easylight2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	70684

Single #51 type gumball shape mantle, small size-less than 5 inches tall + the canister, very stable when on the canister. Frosted globe provides glare free lighting. Comes in a hard shell case which protects the globe from breakage (I know because I dropped it on my garage floor when first opening up the box-duh!!!). Uses butane/propane backpacker canisters (I keep the canisters warm to improve cold weather performance by throwing it into my sleeping bag at night). If it gets real cold....beyond canister blended fuel limits....I can get an adapter and run off the 1 lb Coleman style propane containers. I figure one of these should throw adequate heat (and a provide pleasant warm light to read by in the tent) and at the same time give me a way to use up every last bit of fuel in my almost empty canisters. We'll see if this is a solution for me.

I had it up and running last night in our bedroom on an almost empty canister. Works beautifully and fired right up with the piezo electronic ignition. Casts the standard fuel mantle warmish colored glow. Provides quite a bit of heat (the top gets scar creating hot!) and there is some noticeable heat thrown off to the sides once the globe glass heats up. Really pleased with it right now (this product has been around unchanged for 5+ years and has excellent ratings reviews). I will give some feedback on it once I actually take it and use it "in the field". Got my fingers crossed on this piece of gear!!!
                            Last edited by a65hoosier; 10-17-2016, 08:28 AM.
                            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm jealous. I keep thinking that I will get out in a week or two only to find out that I have things planned. (Not complaining about last weekend as I had a romantic staycation with the mrs.) but a quick check of the calendar tells me that the next weekend I have free is Nov. 19th so I am probably done until next weekend....that is so depressing.

I keep seeing you talk about this Electric Hickman. What is it?
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X