Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft

I have a questions for you all, especially the tent campers. How much and how often do you leave your campsite unattended? And have you ever had stuff come up missing? I will say that I go hiking every time I go camping and if I am alone that means that I leave my site unattended. I don't camp in campgrounds so there are less people around to steal stuff but that also means there are less potential witnesses to keep people honest. The last couple trips I have taken with my wife we left the site for several hours to run to the nearest town with no problems.

My neighbor told me that she stole a car from someones campsite when her backpacking group got hit by lightning. But of course that was an emergency situation and she returned the car after it was over. She actually got it back before the people came back to the site.

Have any of you had any problems with campsite theft? What was taken and what were the circumstances?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Theft

i have never had a problem,
    generally i dont leave much outside the tent or car,
    i would be more concerned in public campgrounds where bored kids may try to snatch a thing or 2
    most of my camping is backwoods camping with very few hikers passing through

Comment

We camped one time very near the river north of Moab UT; someone decided they needed some of our beer and our steaks more than we did... a minor problem that was solved with a 20 minute trip to town.

We regularly leave camp completely unattended and haven't, really, had an issue; long ago I made up my mind not to bring anything camping or leave anything in camp that I couldn't afford to give away, have stolen, or have/get torn up by a bear. Some of the stuff would be a bit of a pain to replace but there are no heirlooms.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-25-2016, 11:42 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have never had anything stolen from a campsite. As I normally camp alone, if I want to do anything outside of the campsite, I HAVE to leave it unattended. Because I have the clipper, I am able to keep valuable gear locked up (and yes, I do lock the door when I leave - however, I have often forgotten to close and/or lock the cab windows/doors so I can't say my locking the door is actually helpful).

Many of the "security" ideas I hear folks recommend, I find to be false security. The "large pair of mens boots at the door to the tent" so folks assume there is a large man in there - really, after a day of not seeing that man, most people will know he doesn't exist. The "dog bowl and chain outside the tent" - really, again, most people will know the dog doesn't exist when they never see it. It's like the recommendation to use a diaper bag for your camera gear - really? you don't have a baby or toddler with you, oh and look at that, you just reached into that diaper bag and pulled out an $800 camera with $1400 lens - woohoo, it's my lucky day!!!! Even the "carry a weapon" won't work if you're not there when they steal your stuff.

I don't live my life with the belief that my possessions are that important. The exception are those items that are sentimental (my camera gear fits here because it brings back memories of all those experiences when taking photos). I can replace a Kindle, I can replace a camp stove, etc. So, I do what I can to minimize the temptation and go on living my life without fear.

As a solo camper, some of the basic rules I do follow are:

1. If camping in a tent, I do NOT leave my camera gear behind while I go do something. The camera gear will ALWAYS go with me in that situation (sentimental value issue).

2. Regardless of tent or RV, I put things away when I have finished using them. I don't leave my kindle or laptop laying on the picnic table, I don't leave my favorite camping pot out for passerby to see and ogle, I don't leave my metal detector leaning against a tree, I don't leave my camera gear on a table. Out of sight is the easiest deterrent and the most effective in relation to its ease.

3. I don't share knowledge of what I have with other campers. I don't share details about my camera gear to someone out on the trail. If they ask, I give them a minimalist answer that lessens the perceived value. I don't say things like "oh, yeah, this lens will set you back a good $1500" or "yeah, I saved up for 2 years to buy that" or even "it's a really sweet lens". Instead I'll say "yeah, it's pretty cheap but I'm not very good. Oh, that's a nice hiking pack you have, I've been looking at them for a while now - what brand is it, how do you like it? Where are you from? Do you camp here a lot?" Deflect the interest and turn the conversation back onto them. First, that ends the discussion of your valuables, and second, if the person isn't a decent folk, he/she will likely feel uncomfortable with the focus on them and will quickly leave.

4. I trust my instincts. I have good people instincts (animal rescue work taught me a lot) and I use that. If someone makes me feel uncomfortable leaving my things unattended, I stay at camp. If it's a really strong instinct, I talk to a ranger, camp host, or maintenance person (most park maintenance staff wear the same basic uniform as a ranger - minus the safety equipment - so many times you're seeing them and not a ranger), and let them know my concerns. If it's strong enough that I can't enjoy my trip, then I leave - otherwise, I let it go enough to be able to camp the way I enjoy (which means leaving my campsite).

5. I use common sense. A truck coming in at night with a bunch of rowdy punks with lots of booze and not much else? Well, that's a red flag. A couple in the campsite next to me with a nice setup? yeah, they probably look at my gear and laugh. A group of young folks with a ton of gear and while maybe being loud, keeping to themselves? not going to be a real problem.

6. I follow this rule: if I can't afford to have it ruined/destroyed/lost/stolen/broken, then I can't afford it. I don't buy what I can't afford. I use what I buy to its fullest capabilities. If something happens, then I move on and replace it. I'm not going to buy expensive equipment that I'm too afraid to use because it might be stolen - I'd rather buy something cheap and use and replace it.

Over the years, I have only had one person mention having something stolen. He had a cooler filled with some nice cuts of meat and during the night someone took it. What do you do? You move on.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have never had anything stolen from my campsite. Anymore, I pretty much stay in Forest Service campgrounds & getting to know your neighbors goes a long way in keeping your belongings safe. Everybody looks out for each other. It's nice to know that the good people still out number the bad ones.
          2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

I have camped out about 400 nights in the past ten years and I have never had any problems with theft. I have camped in state & national park campgrounds and dispersed camping. I try and use common sense and I don't leave valuables in the tent when I leave. I don't worry about my camping gear it tends to be good quality but well worn.
            Last summer I was camping in a state park in Minnesota and I did leave my 120 qt Yeti in camp when I was gone hiking every day for a week. I did worry about it a little so I chained it to a tree. If someone decided to take it I wanted them to at least have to work a little for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Diveralan View Post
              Last summer I was camping in a state park in Minnesota and I did leave my 120 qt Yeti in camp when I was gone hiking every day for a week. I did worry about it a little so I chained it to a tree. If someone decided to take it I wanted them to at least have to work a little for it.
              I have done the same thing with the Jeep hard top and doors (the best Jeeping is topless!)... another use for the log chain...
              Yetti coolers have padlock holes, if I am not mistaken, to dissuade bears (and other food thieves)...

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

We are in a travel trailer when it is two of us. We are usually gone during the day. When we camp without utility hookups, we chain the generator to the travel trailer or a sturdy tree using a logging chain, and take laptops with us. The travel trailer locks, but those keys are fairly universal.

When I tent camp, anything valuable such as a laptop goes with me or is in the car. Folding bikes and scooters go in the car when I am not there. I have never had anyone enter the tent and take cot, bedroll, clothes etc.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Have camped in different styles (bicycle, backpacking and "glamping"car) for over 20 years now. In all that time I've only ever had one item stolen from me: an Iphone w/ a broken screen. It was adolescent revenge for not allowing my nephew to play with some destructive kids. How do I know? The mini miscreant called me during the winter to ask if I would unlock the phone so he'd be able to use it:surprised:. Oh and he mention my nephew's name in the conversation which is when it all came together for me. Tried to track his sorry arse down via the phone number he called from to no avail. Brass monkey cojones on that one; I expect great stuff from him in the future.

I've lost more stuff than has ever been stolen.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I always worry about having my guitar stolen. I take precautions, but that would hurt my feelings, let me tell you! I suppose I should just buy a beater for camping.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                      I always worry about having my guitar stolen. I take precautions, but that would hurt my feelings, let me tell you! I suppose I should just buy a beater for camping.
                      That's like my camera gear. I worry about it because having it stolen would "hurt my feelings" - it's the sentimental sense of the gear, not the cost. Musical instruments are even more so because each one has a slightly different sound and evokes a different emotion in the player.

But, I would never be happy using a lesser camera/lens when I'm out camping. Taking photos is a big part of why I enjoy camping and I want to use the gear that I love to take those photos. So, I do what I can to keep it safe and then I accept the remaining risk.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Well, it's the sentiment, yeah.. but the cost....OH YEAH...Check out the price of a Breedlove Fusion...yeah, I love the tone, but Dayum...I'd hate to have to replace it. And that's my CAMPING guitar :-)
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I keep all the obvious stuff inside my teardrop or Jeep. I do lock the trailer, but leave out the basic stuff. My zero gravity chair, stove, lights ETC. stay out. While I have never had anything taken, a lady in our group did. We had a group camping in a small town park. During the night someone stole her cooler. It was full of meat and everything she needed for an extended trip. They also dragged someone's cooler out into a field and emptied it of all the beer. The Cops guessed it was local kids. Either way it pisses you off when people steal.

Comment

It does appear that coolers with food get stolen most often - and pretty much always during the night. Makes you wonder if it's really people or if maybe Yogi has gotten stealthy...

Comment

Working...
                            X