Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm convinced no tent like this exists.. and I don't understand why

Hello,

For a couple of weeks now, I have been searching for a new tent. I don't think one exists with the features I'm looking for, and I really don't understand why. I'm not concerned about the budget... so it's crazy to me that I can't find these things:

- 4(ish) person tent.. just me and my girlfriend (and soon a dog). I'm 6'2'', the g/f is 5'10'', and the dog will likely be really big.
    - Strictly for car camping, so weight and stuff doesn't matter
    - Not worried about inclement weather

Pretty typical so far... BUT,

- Mesh all around the roof and sides, like the Mountain Hardware Optic 2.5/3.5 tents. I want a "panoramic" view to look around at the stars when there's no rain.
    - ZIPPABLE windows for privacy. I don't care if the roof is mesh only, no one is climbing a tree to look at me. I just want to be able to go to sleep looking at the stars, and then wake up and be able to close the screen around me so that I can get dressed.
    - If it rains and I need to cover the roof, I can just put the rainfly on.

Basically, the best option I've found is the Optic 2.5/3.5. The problem with those tents is that I have 3 options for privacy:

1. After I've looked at the stars I have to hope that I'm still awake, so that I can put the rainfly on so it's already there in the morning.
    2. In the morning, after I wake up, I could crawl out of the tent in my boxers and put the rainfly up so I can... wait no...
    3. Just get naked and hope no one is looking.

Is there a tent for me out there?!

Re: I'm convinced no tent like this exists.. and I don't understand why

The mesh roof may be an issue (tents that I have had with this kind of feature were uniformly poor shelter, unusable in a couple of cases).
    ..It sound like you want a mesh roofed screenhouse.. a quick search;
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mesh...&bih=820#imgrc=_
    Turned up some possibilities for further investigation;
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...Porch/46271750
    http://www.travelingmonarch.com/wenz...e-tent-review/

... no experience with either so this is not a recommendation.

We have given up on finding all that we want in a tent, we normally camp with a tent and either a tarp or canopy for open shelter , with walls & a heater in early spring late fall.
    if we want to sleep under the stars, we sleep outside the tent (usually cold around 3:00 AM) (since we are often/usually a quarter mile or more from the nearest neighbor its not a big deal) mostly though; we like shady sites so the stars are not all that visible.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Sleep in sweatpants? :D
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Big Agnes and Mountain Hardwear are among those selling tents with abundant condensation-stopping mesh upper bodies, but as you know you have to pin the fly on to get cover. Our (discontinued model) Sierra Designs Bedouin has a nice feature that allows quick raising/dropping of a lower portion that gives visibility and ventilation on the bottom 8 inches or so of the tent fly, revealing a mesh strip on each side of the lower portion of the fly.
        Last edited by tplife; 08-07-2016, 10:12 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Perhaps an option: Check out the "upgraded for 2016" REI Kingdom series. The back internal room of the tent has full fabric (poly taffeta I think) privacy walls and a mesh roof. The other internal half of the tent is all mesh. The two "rooms" can be separated by a hanging fabric curtain. It has a full coverage rainfly that covers the entire tent. The fly also now has the ability to be able to be rolled up the sides (and toggled in place) allowing greater ventilation and views. Add the huge optional garage for additional weather protected space. Comes in 4P, 6P, and 8P versions.

Link: https://www.rei.com/product/894016/rei-kingdom-6-tent

Sleep in the front room with all mesh enjoy the stars, wake up and do your thing in the back fabric area...? lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	kingdom1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	70609Click image for larger version

Name:	kingdom.jpg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	70610Click image for larger version

Name:	kingdom2.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	70611Click image for larger version

Name:	kingdom garage.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	70612
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Ozark Trail makes a few cabin versions with zippable windows and no roof without the rain fly. The videos in the links give the best view of the screened roof. I would go with the largest one you ca fit in your vehicle for the best viewing of the sky, and lots of room for gear and the future dog. Below are some examples:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...ps-10/28911609

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Tent/42120623

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-x-9-Ins...eps-6/42206183

I have an Ozark Trail screen room and found it was of acceptable quality.
            Last edited by actad; 08-07-2016, 10:52 AM.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              if we want to sleep under the stars, we sleep outside the tent (usually cold around 3:00 AM) (since we are often/usually a quarter mile or more from the nearest neighbor its not a big deal) mostly though; we like shady sites so the stars are not all that visible.
              Ditto that - but then you would miss out on all the fun of the never-ending search for the perfect tent!
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

What about the kelty trail ridge? The new model has that "stargazing' feature where you can roll the fly up and then if you need to pull it down you can just stick your arm out the side and pull the fly down

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  Ditto that - but then you would miss out on all the fun of the never-ending search for the perfect tent!
                  As the saying goes; been there....

Now we usually go for 3 season tents that we can stand up in and are big enough for 2 people to move around in without, constantly, bumping into each other... (except for the 9x9 dome; we keep this for quick trips).

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Found two at Academy.com. May be something like your asking about.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mage...dCatid=3496517

12x7

Name:	tent1.JPG
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	70696Click image for larger version

Name:	tent2.JPG
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	70697Click image for larger version

Name:	tent3.JPG
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	70698

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/slum...dCatid=3637013
                    10 x 9

Name:	dome1.JPG
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	70699Click image for larger version

Name:	dome2.JPG
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	70700

Comment

I hope I'm not violating protocol by resurrecting an old thread or by top-posting. Let me know if I am.

But this reminds me of M*A*S*H. It always seemed to me that Hawkeye, Trapper, et al. had no privacy in that tent. Surely they didn't always go to the showers to change. But I figure there was some sort of in-camp protocol that meant you don't look in others's tents when you passed by. Add to that the light/dark differential meant you probably couldn't see inside much of the time, anyway, even if you were right outside. Add to the a little judiciousness in timing and manner of dressing and disrobing, and there probably wasn't much to see. I imagine some/most/or all would apply to some degree.

Originally posted by jthomp26 View Post
                      Hello,

Basically, the best option I've found is the Optic 2.5/3.5. The problem with those tents is that I have 3 options for privacy:

1. After I've looked at the stars I have to hope that I'm still awake, so that I can put the rainfly on so it's already there in the morning.
                      2. In the morning, after I wake up, I could crawl out of the tent in my boxers and put the rainfly up so I can... wait no...
                      3. Just get naked and hope no one is looking.

Is there a tent for me out there?!

Comment

Working...
                      X