Will you go camping with your dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will you go camping with your dog?

I always take my dogs camping - as well as the parrot. They are always on a leash (I use a double leash). If the campground/trail is empty, I may let go of the leash and let them have a bit more freedom, but the leash stays on so I can quickly grab them and bring them back in. At the campground, they are on the leash with the other end in my hand (or slipped on the chair with my hand over it).

Bat-dog has issues ever since a vet stuck a thermometer up her rear without any warning. She has improved 98% since the traumatic event, but when she gets tired and cranky she reverts. Because of this, I am really careful with her and let folks know not to approach her but let her approach them. Most folks are really great and will spend some time letting her acclimate to them (which has helped with her improvements greatly). She does respond positively to treats, so I try to keep some on hand for folks to give her. A clipper buddy will bring both dogs leftovers from his dinner when we're camping - he is Bat-dog's favorite person (meaning she doesn't get nervous around him) so I am lenient about the food scraps.

Moose-dog is a people lover. He does get a bit over excited to meet you, but is just so happy to get attention that he can't help himself. His issue is with small dogs - he's been attacked by several over the years and so he gets nervous when he sees them.

They are both big and black. Moose-dog is shepherd/poodle/newfoundland and Bat-dog is shepherd/corgi/chow/shar pei/boxer/beagle/german shorthair. Because of this, I know in a "situation", they will get the blame regardless of what actually happened. So I am VERY careful with them and do everything I can to prevent issues.

The bird has a cage that is attached to the dinette table. He can see out both sides and the windshield and is a very happy camper. He was at least 30 years old when I got him and had spent a majority of that time locked in a cage (never getting out). I was a bit worried he wouldn't handle camping and the road trips, but he loves it all. At home, he comes out of his big cage all the time, but when camping, he stays in his travel cage - too risky to take a chance letting him out. If we're at a rally, I will bring him and his cage outside to sit on a table and visit with the other folks.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Re: Will you go camping with your dog?

My labrador is always with me) :yipi:

Comment

Although I don't have a dog, I wonder why not? My friends always take their huge dog with them on camping. But he's very kind. Everybody loves him

Comment

I want to have a dachshund as I had in my childhood. This is my dream - travelling with my dog! So as I can see most of you support the idea to take the dog if she would be socialized. It's weird to me not to train your dog at all - it is dangerous for you and other people as well

Comment

Working...
          X