Will you go camping with your dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you go camping with your dog?

I want to go camping, and i don't want to leave my dog alone. So should i go camping with my dog, or any good ideas?

Re: Will you go camping with your dog?

You could look for a camp ground that accepts pets or find a reliable boarding kennel.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
      You could look for a camp ground that accepts pets or find a reliable boarding kennel.
      Ok, it is very useful for me, thanks for your advice!

Comment

Leave the dog with your girlfriend in the hammock.

Comment

Just don't take the dog to camp on a mountain top.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

How about a picture of the dog? Are we talking Rottweiler or purse dog?

Comment

... amazing that anyone would go camping without their (hopefully well trained or at least well socialized) dog; dogs love camping at least as much as people.
              Watch out for other campers though, they tend to teach dogs bad habits (like begging for people food)...
              If, however the dog is untrained or poorly trained/socialized (likes to run away, bite or fight) it is, probably, best left at a kennel.

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

We take our dog with us every time we camp. When we got her we specifically bought a new (bigger) tent to accommodate her size and her bed.
                She loves it, we love having her with us. Only one bit of advice (other than the obvious of your pup being good around people and well behaved) we camped in early July and it was HOT HOT HOT, we got Maggie in the truck (with the A/C on) a couple times for about an hour just to cool her off. Along with hosing her (and ourselves) off with the hose once and a while. People don't think about it much but domestic breeds are not as weather tolerant as their wolf ancestors.

Comment

I will be taking a dog with me camping on Mount Diablo (State Park, California) in September, and have in the past. Dogs are allowed only in developed areas of Mount Diablo, they must be kept on a leash during the day and in an enclosed vehicle or tent at night. Dogs are NOT permitted on trails on Mount Diablo.

I have never had a problem with a dog while camping, but I suppose it depends on the dog. Personally, I find it comforting having a dog with me in the tent at night, especially in mountain lion country. The dog will wake you up if there is trouble brewing. Also it's great to have a dog sleeping next to you if camping alone, in case the boogie man comes, but I don't like a dog inside of my sleeping bag, only parked next to it.

If you've been out hiking or walking with the dog so it can do the business, and you are in deer country here in California, always check the dog for deer ticks before entering the tent as these ticks can carry lyme disease. Any dog with me while camping has been treated for ticks before camping. A dog with white fur is easy to spot ticks, poodles can have white fur.

Don't forget lots of water for the dog! Bring bottled water, they get thirsty on camping trips, and don't let the dog go after the racoon because Rocky Racoon can rip a dog apart.

Comment

I camp with my dog when we use the travel trailer, have never taken her when I tent camp.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I take my dog. I was a bit nervous the first time because she isn't friendly but now I have no worries. She stays close by.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I personally do not take my dog with camping because it invites potential wildlife...much bigger wildlife then her. Shes a jack russell so she tends to roam and on top of a mountain in Colorado isnt the best for that. Just my opinion.

Comment

for those who bring dogs camping and on trails
                          leash them up
                          not everyone likes dogs
                          despise them coming through my camp, going through our stuff looking for a snack
                          dont like coming across loose dogs on trails
                          dont like dogs licking me or my kids and putting filthy paws on us while owner goes aww how cute
                          its not cute, its filthy and disgusting.
                          in most places its the law to keep them leashed, obey the law

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                            for those who bring dogs camping and on trails
                            leash them up
                            not everyone likes dogs
                            despise them coming through my camp, going through our stuff looking for a snack
                            dont like coming across loose dogs on trails
                            dont like dogs licking me or my kids and putting filthy paws on us while owner goes aww how cute
                            its not cute, its filthy and disgusting.
                            in most places its the law to keep them leashed, obey the law
                            I always take a leash and kennel with me. But normally I am so alone I just let her walk around on her own. She never gets more than 50' from camp. And if anyone wanders by I just call her back and lock her up. I love dogs but still laugh at the time someones dog was growling at me with the owner standing there saying, "Oh, he doesn't bite"

Yeah, he doesn't bite YOU. But he doesn't know me.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

haha. I love dogs so I welcome them whenever i see them but if they start growling then I keeppp onnn goinggg ha.

Comment

Working...
                              X