Mt. Pisgah Camping trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Pisgah Camping trip

We got back from out trip sunday, didn't want to but you know...work and all! It was a fantastic trip, the mountain weather was nice and cool. It rained every day and the tents did great, even 1 day when we went down the mountain and came back our neighbors said there was a huge rain and it flash flooded. The slumberjack floor was a bit damp which I had expected with the material it is but it dried quickly. Great campground, they keep it clean, the tent pads are a little small for my taste but we knew ahead and took the smaller tents. They had a restroom that wasn't so great but the one with the shower was wonderful, clean and up to date. We never had to wait long for showers. The Inn across the road has a great restaurant we didn't plan to eat at but the kids enjoyed it and the view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13835957_10210059175217144_2120504353_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	72922Click image for larger version

Name:	13728342_10210059175577153_704536974_o.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	72921Click image for larger version

Name:	13672419_10210059197817709_1977700445_n.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	72925
    Attached Files

Re: Mt. Pisgah Camping trip

Your pics are the stuff that memories are made of and tell a story of sheer enjoyment:glasses:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Looks like a fun trip. thanks for posting.

Comment

Hi CecilliaB!

Nice trip report along with the pics of the campsite (like the night shot) and "kids being kids in the outdoors''. We all love a trip report accompanied with pics. Thanks for posting! Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the Inn and getting fine eats/view. In the summer...if there is a town/ice cream place close by where we're camping....we'll "exit the wilderness" and get a cool treat. Good memories being made with the kids...

Sliding Rock is a fun summer stop. Where exactly did you camp in Pigsah? (we're thinking NC camp trip next summer)

As to the damp floor, make sure the tarp you've put under the tent does not extend out beyond the tent edges (having a section sticking out in the vestibule is ok as it is 100% covered by the fly). If the tarp sticks out, any rain that falls and runs down the tent sides will drip onto the tarp (instead of dripping onto the ground/pad surface)...and depending on the grade of the ground...may run under the tent and pool between the tarp and the underside of the tent floor---creating the potential for a damp floor.

ps...beautiful dog. Take care...happy camping!!!
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
          Hi CecilliaB!

Nice trip report along with the pics of the campsite (like the night shot) and "kids being kids in the outdoors''. We all love a trip report accompanied with pics. Thanks for posting! Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the Inn and getting fine eats/view. In the summer...if there is a town/ice cream place close by where we're camping....we'll "exit the wilderness" and get a cool treat. Good memories being made with the kids...

Sliding Rock is a fun summer stop. Where exactly did you camp in Pigsah? (we're thinking NC camp trip next summer)

As to the damp floor, make sure the tarp you've put under the tent does not extend out beyond the tent edges (having a section sticking out in the vestibule is ok as it is 100% covered by the fly). If the tarp sticks out, any rain that falls and runs down the tent sides will drip onto the tarp (instead of dripping onto the ground/pad surface)...and depending on the grade of the ground...may run under the tent and pool between the tarp and the underside of the tent floor---creating the potential for a damp floor.

ps...beautiful dog. Take care...happy camping!!!
          Thanks for the info on the tarp, we'll do that next time but I'm not sure it would of made a ton of difference in this instance. The water washed through the site, sons tent floor was 100% dry. The other one is just not the same material but we were on air mattresses so it wasn't too terrible. We did skip slide rock, this time of year it is just too busy so we went to Turtleback falls which was even more fun according to my son because it's a bigger drop off the end. Click image for larger version

Name:	13816753_10210059217618204_1698651872_n.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	70595

We camped right there at Pisgah campground, it was pretty central to everything we like to do

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
            Your pics are the stuff that memories are made of and tell a story of sheer enjoyment:glasses:.
            Getting them out for simple fun is important! They have also learned allot of random facts about forestry, new critters etc from the area. We got word yesterday my husband will be returning from a 2 year tour in Japan and able to go on our longer August trip. We're all thrilled! Especially him since people will speak English and he hasn't been camping in over 2 years

Comment

Nice tents! Love the scenery. You make me want to go there. The falls are beautiful. Pretty brave son jumping off the falls. The photos are A+; what kind of camera did you use? Love that you shared. Thank you.
              Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Thanks! It's a rock you slide off, 20' drop with a rope to climb to the top. Water is COLD lol! That part of the country is stunning and very special to us so we go back as often as possible. Tons of waterfalls in this area, so if you ever go you wont be disappointed. All pics were taken on my iphone except for the night time shot which was a long exposure on my nikon D750. I'm a photographer and usually don't take my camera with me, just use the cell phone. It's easy and then I don't worry about the cameras

Comment

Wow, that place looks amazing. But being in Arizona anything with water is a plus.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                  X