Cooler shock bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler shock bags

Has anyone used the cooler shock bags for camping. I just saw them on amazon and was wondering how they work. We have a yeti 35 cooler and a coleman 3 day cooler the yeti is pretty good can get frozen water bottles and food to last 6 days but my three day cooler once the water bottles melt then I have to add ice everyday which tends to get expensive. So anyone that has tried these would be appreciated. Just finished up a nine day camping trip with all our new stuff thanks to people's help on here

Re: Cooler shock bags

Do you mean these gelled fluid icepacks?
    https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Shock-.../dp/B01ACCBQG2

I haven't tried this brand, and have concerns because they state in the ad 48 hours... but I have tried many reusable icepacks including some that I got from a friend that works at a dentists office they do work. Not sure if they work better than ice or how much better, but I did have good luck with the gelled dental ice packs; cools fairly well for a day or so and the bags haven't leaked. I would rate them OK to good for lunch coolers...

It is my understanding that ice replacement packs use various mixtures of glycol, alcohol and water so I wouldn't expect much.
    I typically make my own block ice for camping by freezing a plastic jug partially/mostly filled with water (after it melts you can drink the water, and its contained so other food items are protected from immersion in the melted water).

James started a discussion on a cooler cozy that might be worth considering here; http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...g-Cooler/page3 post #29

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by debx77 View Post
      Has anyone used the cooler shock bags for camping. I just saw them on amazon and was wondering how they work. We have a yeti 35 cooler and a coleman 3 day cooler the yeti is pretty good can get frozen water bottles and food to last 6 days but my three day cooler once the water bottles melt then I have to add ice everyday which tends to get expensive. So anyone that has tried these would be appreciated. Just finished up a nine day camping trip with all our new stuff thanks to people's help on here
      I haven't used that brand yet but do let us know what you think if you get it. Used to line all my coolers with sheets of gel bags that are cuttable but someone threw them out while storing the gear off season. Now I just use a few larger gel and doughnut style ice packs to shove in corner air pockets. They never lasted longer than 8 days and that was only when the packs were buried in the bottom of the cooler surrounded by frozen meats and blocks of ice.

Heyyyyyyyyy!?! You are going to tell us more about your 9 day trip, right? :glasses:
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 07-24-2016, 07:20 AM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I agree with Happy Joe regarding the use of bigger-is-better blocks of solid ice and avoiding altogether those day-tripper EtOH packets. And any quality cooler has a drain so you can keep the water out (just remember to close the drain and keep the warmer air from exchanging heat with your ice and contents. The fastest way to melt your ice is to mix it in a container with water (like a frozen jug) or keep it suspended in the cooler mixed with melted water (that you should drain off). The slower your ice melts, the longer your contents stay cold as solids transfer heat a lot slower than liquids (or even gas, lol).
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

[QUOTE=NYCgrrl;44863]I haven't used that brand yet but do let us know what you think if you get it. Used to line all my coolers with sheets of gel bags that are cuttable but someone threw them out while storing the gear off season. Now I just use a few larger gel and doughnut style ice packs to shove in corner air pockets. They never lasted longer than 8 days and that was only when the packs were buried in the bottom of the cooler surrounded by frozen meats and blocks of ice.

Heyyyyyyyyy!?! You are going to tell us more about your 9 day trip, right? :glasses:[/QUO. Our trip went very well no rain the beach was fantastic and thanks to our therma cells were pretty much bug free we decided on the yeti bricks just bought 3 of them 1 4lb and 2 of the the 2ld ones haven't tried them yet

Comment

Working...
          X