Car Camping from L.A. to Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Camping from L.A. to Alaska?

I'm seriously considering a solo car camping trip from Los Angeles to Alaska over a period of 4-6 weeks starting near the end of August. I've done several long solo car camping trips, but this will be the longest yet. I plan to just take my time and see how long it takes me. There will be hikes in various places as I go. I thought I'd post here for any advice/tips for the trip. I've never camped anywhere in Canada and I'm wondering about the state of the campgrounds. Are bears common? Are there bear lockers? Hows the weather in September? Are there a lot of places to restock my cooler and buy more fuel for the BBQ? Any campgrounds you recommend in Canada? Recommended stops and must see places?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Car Camping from L.A. to Alaska?

No advice for ya just cheering in the background!
    I will say that I'd imagine that any region of natural beauty will certainly have stores that cater to travelers' needs.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I got nothing on first hand experience but you might want to check out a guy on youtube. I think its chris travels. I haven't really kept up with him but I know he has made a couple trips up and down the coast to Alaska.

I went and looked it up. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCid...4kU1196YynvqXg
      Last edited by James.; 07-26-2016, 10:07 PM.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

I havent done alaska yet
        but just finished a 7000 mile road trip across us
        couple tips
        make sure your car is in best shape possible
        top off the tank as often as possible try not to go too far below 1/2 tank
        have an air compressor and plug kit
        dont rely on a donut, as 50 mile limit isnt very much in rural areas
        extensive driving especially through various elevations and terrains will affect your tires
        in alaska time of year is key
        If you plan on going to northern alaska their winter starts early

Comment

Thanks everyone. Something came up so I won't be able to do the trip this year. :-(

In preparation though, I got The Milepost. It's got a ton of valuable information for trips to Alaska and western Canada. I had planned to camp someplace north of Fairbanks in hopes of catching the Northern Lights.

Some of the tips I've picked up for long car camping trips:

Never drive more than 4-5 hours a day.
          Always fill up tank closest to the next campground.
          Eat "clean" snacks such as Skittles or M & M's to stay alert while driving.
          I like to fill up a 2 gallon thermos to the top with ice then fill with water so I always have cold water.
          Always bring a plastic tarp to use as a roof for those rainy days.
          Don't drive and hike on the same day so I'm not in a hurry to reach the next campground.
          Use NOAA Weather Radar app for rain prediction. Helped me avoid camping in a big storm once.
          Don't look for the next campground till the morning after.
          I've never failed to find an available campsite. The campgrounds off Tioga Pass in Yosemite all had signs saying they were full and I still found an available campsite.
          Try to camp in the more out of the way campgrounds, they tend to have fewer people.
          Be packed up and on the road no later than 9am.
          Eat out for lunch each day for a break from driving and to enjoy various places more.
          Don't be in a hurry to reach the next campground, enjoy various stops on the way.

I still hope to do this trip next year.

Comment

I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I hope you will keep us in the loop!
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post
              Thanks everyone. Something came up so I won't be able to do the trip this year. :-(

In preparation though, I got The Milepost. It's got a ton of valuable information for trips to Alaska and western Canada. I had planned to camp someplace north of Fairbanks in hopes of catching the Northern Lights.

Some of the tips I've picked up for long car camping trips:

Never drive more than 4-5 hours a day.
              Always fill up tank closest to the next campground.
              Eat "clean" snacks such as Skittles or M & M's to stay alert while driving.
              I like to fill up a 2 gallon thermos to the top with ice then fill with water so I always have cold water.
              Always bring a plastic tarp to use as a roof for those rainy days.
              Don't drive and hike on the same day so I'm not in a hurry to reach the next campground.
              Use NOAA Weather Radar app for rain prediction. Helped me avoid camping in a big storm once.
              Don't look for the next campground till the morning after.
              I've never failed to find an available campsite. The campgrounds off Tioga Pass in Yosemite all had signs saying they were full and I still found an available campsite.
              Try to camp in the more out of the way campgrounds, they tend to have fewer people.
              Be packed up and on the road no later than 9am.
              Eat out for lunch each day for a break from driving and to enjoy various places more.
              Don't be in a hurry to reach the next campground, enjoy various stops on the way.

I still hope to do this trip next year.
              That sucks. But think how prepared you will be for next year.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X