The Perfect Camper (for us) Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Camper (for us) Quest

So, the search has begun ! Just two of us, looking at 16-17'.
    Initially finding Cherokee Wolf Pup and Viking Ultra-lite, both new. I also really like the floor plan of a 2012 Dutchman branded as Coleman CTS.
    Any thoughts on quality regarding these or any others?
    I am willing to invest if the quality is there.
    Thank you!

Re: The Perfect Camper (for us) Quest

I'd look at the R-pod's (Forest River) Hummingbirds (Jayco) or maybe the Minnie or Minnie drops from Winnebago.

All basically the same camper. They seem perfect for couples, light, well appointed, easy to take care of and not huge in stature or price.

Comment

Duplicate post, sorry
      Last edited by actad; 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

We started with a 2012 14' Dutchmen travel trailer for the two of us. It was identical with the Coleman line by the Thor parent company in subsequent years. I was very happy with the build quality. Even though it was entry level, it was in the bells and whistles options, not the quality - had manual awning, manual hot water heater, and manual change of the fridge from electric to propane and back.

Upgraded to a bigger unit last year with a 2016 18' Shasta Oasis. Biggest change was a dedicated bed - old one we slept on the converted dinette - and bunks. Bunks are wonderful shelves when it is just us, and the grandkids love them when they stay with us. The kitchen and bath area were pretty similar, except we gained another burner on the stovetop.

Have been really, really happy with the Shasta as it has even better quality - nicer windows, more insulation, better quality flooring. better quality Lippert frame etc. The Shasta came standard with electric awning and a hot water heater that ignites with a rocker switch as well as an automatic switch on the fridge from propane, electric, and 12 volt.

We have no trouble getting in and out of campgrounds. It tows well with our half ton truck (which has a tow package) and there is no need for anything else for towing - anti-sway bars are not needed, for instance.

Here are the specs on mine if you want to compare. We look at tank size first since we do a lot of primitive camping.

2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
        Dry Hitch Weight 349 lbs.
        UVW 3,144 lbs.
        GVWR 3,830 lbs.
        CCC 686 lbs.
        Exterior Length 21' 9"
        Exterior Height 10' 5"
        Exterior Width 96"
        Fresh Water Capacity 42 gal.
        Gray Water Capacity 36 gal.
        Black Water Capacity 36 gal.
        Awning Size 12 ft

Good luck in your search!
        Last edited by actad; 08-11-2016, 03:07 PM.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

These days, it seems the quality is hit or miss with any brand. Other than some of the specialty brands (4x4 motorhomes, 4 season trailers, high end class As, etc.), the mass produced RVs will be similar in quality. The important thing with them is to do a very good inspection before taking delivery of the RV to make sure the one you purchase is in good shape right from the start. It is easier and quicker to get warranty work done BEFORE you accept the trailer, then after you've taken it home.

You don't indicate what you'll be using to tow, or what amenities/features you are looking for in a trailer other than the small size. There are lots of options out there. I'm particular to the fiberglass "egg" trailers and the Escape brand out of BC is my favorite (I prefer the floorplan of the 17ft over other brands).

On the RV forums, I see the Cherokee trailers come up a lot in posts on small trailers and I see a lot of them on the road - more than the others.

Before I got my clipper, I had an old 80's Shasta Friendship trailer. It was 18ft. As Actad has experienced, I found it a good size for pretty much everywhere I wanted to go as a camper. It was easy to maneuver through winding forest roads and it fit on most campsite parking pads (sometimes I had to angle the SUV a bit).
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
          X