Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In tent wash station/vanity/sink

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
    This is probably not what you're thinking of, I get an idea and if I don't sketch it I go crazy. I was thinking of a way to fold up the sink to use the potty. I keep thinking of the drink holders on boats.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5668[/ATTACH]
    close , I expect the bottom brace will be higher and behind the legs.
    I expect the shelf hinge will either be some modified (bored out or turned down) on one leg, T fittings or maybe some standard fittings run into holes un the uprights.
    ...leaning toward magnetic latches.
    I'm considering bending the shelf to make a backsplash and using that to limit the shelf rotation (will knock up a proto type eventually and let that decide ) or maybe making some sliding (up and down), or rotating, supports to the underside of the shelf (less cluttered when the shelf is deployed.
    I may or may not make the mirror adjustable (slide up and down on the legs).

Here is a not very good pic of the initial knock up of the shelf anti drip edge; its grooved PVC run around the edge of a pieceof 1/4 " lexan.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-23-2016, 08:12 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Definitely did! If I don't have at least half a dozen projects rolling around in my head, there's something wrong. Not too long ago I was in a hardware store, doing my usual jumping from aisle to aisle, when an employee came up asked if he could help me find anything. I told him, while pointing to my head, "You don't want to get involved with what all I've got going on up here". He laughed and let me do my thing - talking to myself and drawing pictures in the air to figure out the latest and greatest whatchamacallit ever. If I had a lot of money, they'd call me eccentric, but as it is, I guess they're calling me crazy.
      Maybe odd is a more palatable descriptor...
      I too often encounter "helpful" employees at the parts and materials/supply depots; mostly they are pikers in the make something that fits and works craft, IMO... often worth a laugh though...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Definitely did! If I don't have at least half a dozen projects rolling around in my head, there's something wrong. Not too long ago I was in a hardware store, doing my usual jumping from aisle to aisle, when an employee came up asked if he could help me find anything. I told him, while pointing to my head, "You don't want to get involved with what all I've got going on up here". He laughed and let me do my thing - talking to myself and drawing pictures in the air to figure out the latest and greatest whatchamacallit ever. If I had a lot of money, they'd call me eccentric, but as it is, I guess they're calling me crazy.
        I cringe when the helpful employee wants to know what I'm working on. I'm always told that is not the purpose for what I want ant it won't work. I guess they think because I am a woman I don't have a brain. I really try to avoid the help in those places. Lol.

Comment

I will often seek out these people. Tell them what I am trying to accomplish and what I am thinking will work and ask if they have any advice, suggestions or possible problems. Good ideas can come from anywhere or anyone....that being said if the person is young I don't expect much.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

I did a bit of modeling this morning here is something close to what I will build, I need to figure a way to make it collapsible or to fold...possibly telescope the upper (mirror holder) and maybe middle upright sections into the lower section...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	MODEL 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	70591

The shelf and backsplash will rotate together (attached to one another) inside the Tees in the uprights (I may have to turn a couple of bushings).

(Edit); this won't work inside the dome or alaknak tents (not enough sidewall height) but will be fine in the standing room tent.
            (edit: added the Thetford 320p port-a-potty http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-320p/

Name:	wash stand and thetford.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	70592

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to see your finished project, HJ!
              I wish I could work as fast as you........takes me forever to agonize thru conception to completion:glasses:.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                I wish I could work as fast as you........takes me forever to agonize thru conception to completion:glasses:.
                A lot of the time I spend is non obvious; get an Idea then let it marinate in the mental slushbox for a while...
                (edit); sometimes modeling helps; I go through many of the same thought processes making the model as I do when actually building something...

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-25-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  There really IS something wrong with my brain. Every time you write "model" this song keeps streaming into my head all unbidden:

One of these days I might start acting my age but but I wouldn't wait fer it to happen.

Oops.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Neat!

Comment

Happy Joe I am looking forward to seeing the finished product! That's a sweet program for the mock up. Mutch better than my sketching and hubby trying to figure it out.:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                        Happy Joe I am looking forward to seeing the finished product! That's a sweet program for the mock up. Mutch better than my sketching and hubby trying to figure it out.:lol:
                        Thanks!;

I used what used to be google sketchup (now Trimble sketcheUp). Download "sketchup make" for free specifying "personal projects" in step one).
                        http://www.sketchup.com/download

Or/Then go to the Formufit site and download, then extract the PVC components (pipe and fittings); there is a link to download sketchup make on this site too...
                        https://formufit.com/pages/sketchup
                        along with a link on how to import and move components, how to use the handles layer and resizing; for PVC projects, all on the same page.

There are assorted youtube vids that show you how to use sketchup (although it will probably be somewhat frustrating at first if you haven't used CAD programs before).
                        here is one lesson one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWK1Wu-XNtg

Enjoy!

(Edit); It might be a while before I get to the build stage; the Ford exploder has decided it needs (additional) parts and TLC...another $120 and a day or two...minimum (crosses fingers)...
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-26-2016, 09:41 AM.

Comment

.. found some time last night so I modified 2 half inch PVC tees and 2 one inch pvc Tees so they will slide on their pipe (cut away the internal plastic so they are the same diameter all the way through). I will proabably do this to 2 additional one inch Tees for the crosspiece/stabilizer that will be behind the porta pot.

Tools used; a Swiss army knife and a half inch rat tail (round) file.
                          It was slow but in the absence of machine tools; works.

This is necessary to allow the shelf and mirror holder to move up and down and to allow the unit to collapse to half size for easy transport.
                          I will try to get to Lowes for additional parts today...

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-04-2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Some things that I am taking into consideration;
                            What size PVC pipe?
                            I have some 1" schedule 40 and many/most online PVC projects seem to like this size; moderate stiffness, inexpensive, easy to handle widely available.
                            If 1 inch schedule 40 proves too flexible I can always go bigger if a version 2 is necessary.

How high for the shelf/side pieces?
                            Measured our 3 vanities they came in at 32, 33 and 34.5 inches (to the nearest half inch).
                            since this is a prototype, with an adjustable height shelf; and I can always shorten it later (won't glue it together until the end, if at all); I will cut the sides to 36" or a bit more.

How big a shelf?.. (as a first pass guess I made the shelf in the drawing about 18"x 18")
                            Our camping end tables are about 19" x 19" (hard top) and work well for most things,
                            Our TV tray tables measure 14.5" x 19" and are fine for many things (sometimes a bit small).
                            our smallest vanity top measures 25" x 19" but this seem a bit large for a tent (10' x 10')...
                            To fit off the foot of one of the cots and leave space I am going to go 24" overall width, maximum. so an 18" wide shelf is in the ball park.
                            The deeper the shelf the more leverage it will exert on the uprights and the more unstable/tippy (front to back) it will tend to be.. Initially I'm going to say 14 to 16 inches but lets see what develops as the project progresses...

Getting ready to start cutting and fitting pipe...

Name:	in constructionDSCF0239.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	70605

(Edit I suppose it time to start thinking about optional items;
                            I plan on making a fold away towel bar under the shelf (hinge the shelf upward and the towel and bar stay vertical.
                            there will be a relatively large attached mirror...still considering lighting...
                            I'm torn about a cup/toothbrush holder...
                            Any suggestions/ preferences on what seems like a good Idea for a camping vanity accessory?

Enjoy!

(Edit); since this last camping trip has shown how short room to carry stuff is (need to consolidate and re-think) I'm going to move this project to the far back burner...
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-05-2016, 07:02 AM. Reason: Options?pic added

Comment

I can identify with the store experiences mentioned here. I never know what I'm looking for, or what the intended use of the item is, I just have a picture in my head of what I want.

Just today, I led DH through the Home Depot looking for something that only existed in my head. I found it and bought two of them! After those pieces were secured, I headed for the plumbing department for some made-up PVC pieces, which I also found.

I don't like telling employees what I'm doing since I rarely buy anything for it's intended use.

Comment

Since this thread started life has thrown several bumps (depressions) into the road.
                                I have returned to using my original cleanup system (although the TV tray table is a bit short).
                                ...will let this continue to evolve naturally (works in the dome and alaknak as well as the standing room tent).

Enjoy!

(Edit); clockwise from lower left;
                                soap
                                washcloth (also serves as potholder after water is heated)
                                Wallymart camping mirror (needs to be bigger)
                                Squeeze bottle of ethanol (alcohol) fuel for the Trangia)
                                Military personal decontamination kit box (holds soap, toothbrush, razor, comb and toothpaste)
                                toothbrush (folding)
                                toothpaste
                                comb
                                disposable razor with cut down handle
                                stainless plate to help contain splashes and protect TV traytable from heat
                                pot stand (diy)
                                Trangia alcohol stove (to heat water)
                                one liter stainless bowel to hold and heat water
                                TV tray table (folding)

Need to add a towel & washcloth bar to the TV tray table...

Enjoy!

Edit: ...trying to schedule an taller somewhat oversized tray table for construction...
                                The small mirror will be replaced by a sailor's mirror hung from the tent frame;
                                http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...Sailors-mirror

Enjoy!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-26-2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X