In tent wash station/vanity/sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In tent wash station/vanity/sink

Since I am in a period of semi-enforced non-camping and afternoons are quite warm outside (lower 90's F; and its not even August, yet) I have been finding myself researching (surfing for) alternative to my current alcohol heated water in a bowl on a TV tray table for my morning camping shave.

So, as usual, I am looking for ideas and examples of what has been done in the past, before settling on a design and starting construction.

...recentaly I have become enamored with the antique folding sinks used in ships, Pullman railroad cars and some trailers.

My preliminary thoughts are to use a collapsible bowl for the sink, frame it up using PVC pipe and to make it wide enough so that our Thetford porta-potty can sit between its legs (with the sink folded up) essentially doubling the use of that floor space.

Many of these cabinet type examples seem to have a (bucker filled?) water tank in the upper part to supply water. The lower part often contains a grey water tank (bucket) or a chamber pot.

Any ideas and/or examples of wash stations would be appreciated...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: In tent wash station/vanity/sink

How about this?
    http://www.homecrux.com/2014/12/01/2...-suitcase.html

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      Since I am in a period of semi-enforced non-camping and afternoons are quite warm outside (lower 90's F; and its not even August, yet) I have been finding myself researching (surfing for) alternative to my current alcohol heated water in a bowl on a TV tray table for my morning camping shave.

So, as usual, I am looking for ideas and examples of what has been done in the past, before settling on a design and starting construction.

...recentaly I have become enamored with the antique folding sinks used in ships, Pullman railroad cars and some trailers.

My preliminary thoughts are to use a collapsible bowl for the sink, frame it up using PVC pipe and to make it wide enough so that our Thetford porta-potty can sit between its legs (with the sink folded up) essentially doubling the use of that floor space.

Many of these cabinet type examples seem to have a (bucker filled?) water tank in the upper part to supply water. The lower part often contains a grey water tank (bucket) or a chamber pot.

Any ideas and/or examples of wash stations would be appreciated...

Enjoy!
      First, I work construction....in Arizona. 110+ is normal so you won't get any sympathy from me. Second, why not just forgo the shave while camping?
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
        Thats pretty cool.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Denni2; Thanx! that is much better than anything that I turned up, it could fill the bill well if I make something that will clear the port-a-potty for storage (port-a-potty garage?).

James; the main reason that I do not live in Arizona, or even southern Colorado, is the summer temperatures (and the lack of summer green); not looking for sympathy, just stating that higher temps increasingly limit my outdoor activities (especially as I get older/more antique?).

"why not just forgo the shave while camping?" Tried it and while I had a beard when much younger I just feel better (especially in warmer weather) when cleanly shaven...
          I have found that a beard and 'stash in the winter helps keep my face warm but in the summer I found it less comfortable (besides being slightly more tech dependent (electric trimmer) to maintain well; trimming a couple of times a week... might as well shave).
          Since most adult guys are going to wash daily; might as well scrape the bristles as well...
          ...Its all, mostly, just personal preference...

...also Wifey expressed a desire for a better in tent wash and makeup area.
          ...and I need another easy camping project (boredom is imminent)...

...Proceeding apace; I stopped at the home center and picked up some PVC elbows to use to develop the shelf.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-20-2016, 11:33 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I'm here is another idea.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ently_launched

Comment

That does look good, but it seems it didn't get off the ground. It failed funding two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                That does look good, but it seems it didn't get off the ground. It failed funding two years ago.
                I noticed it wasn't funded. I like the concept and I think Happy Joe is looking for a concept he can modify. This could easily be copied with a toiletry bag and a foldable sink on a pvc frame.

Comment

I think Happy Joe is looking for a concept he can modify.
                  Yeah - I'm easily amused. Somehow I, a confirmed and semi-professional tinkerer, missed that part of things.

Comment

I noticed it wasn't funded. I like the concept and I think Happy Joe is looking for a concept he can modify. This could easily be copied with a toiletry bag and a foldable sink on a pvc frame.
                    You got it! and Thanx! again for the this one.
                    I'm thinking of something more substantial than a soft pack.. at thispoint probably a PVC frame with a relatively large mirror and a fold down shelf with a backsplash, supporting a collapsible bowl/sink.
                    the legs will be far enough apart so the port-a-potty will fit.

I have been consistently stymied over the past couple of years by, a truly good solution to the hot water question (how to get it in tent quickly, easily and safely)... not thrilled by the overpriced camping water heaters.
                    Right now I'm thinking about disassembling a Colman drip coffee maker .. or possibly not; keeping the newer version (second mage) assembled for both in tent morning coffee and hot water...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	4335aa0a-4b27-4f78-98b5-7ae0deb0ca15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	70588
                    (the second image is from woot.com)

Mac G... as you can probably tell I too am a confirmed tinkerer...

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-22-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Mac G... as you can probably tell I too am a confirmed tinkerer...
                      Definitely did! If I don't have at least half a dozen projects rolling around in my head, there's something wrong. Not too long ago I was in a hardware store, doing my usual jumping from aisle to aisle, when an employee came up asked if he could help me find anything. I told him, while pointing to my head, "You don't want to get involved with what all I've got going on up here". He laughed and let me do my thing - talking to myself and drawing pictures in the air to figure out the latest and greatest whatchamacallit ever. If I had a lot of money, they'd call me eccentric, but as it is, I guess they're calling me crazy.
                      Last edited by MacGyver; 07-22-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

This summer the campers in the site next to me had a DYI kitchen sink made from PVC and a plastic wash basin that utilised a hand held water sprayer. Wanted to ask them how they put it together but since they constantly walked thru our site AND had enuf camping etiquette to know it was a no no decided to keep communications to a minimum.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                          This summer the campers in the site next to me had a DYI kitchen sink made from PVC and a plastic wash basin that utilised a hand held water sprayer. Wanted to ask them how they put it together but since they constantly walked thru our site AND had enuf camping etiquette to know it was a no no decided to keep communications to a minimum.
                          You should have duct taped them to some trees and taken theirs.

Comment

This is probably not what you're thinking of, I get an idea and if I don't sketch it I go crazy. I was thinking of a way to fold up the sink to use the potty. I keep thinking of the drink holders on boats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	70589

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              You should have duct taped them to some trees and taken theirs.
                              :he:
                              Unfortunately I was traveling with 3 impressionable children so wellllllll there ya are.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X