Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rocky Mountain 'Expedition"

Hey all!

Ok, so maybe Expedition is a little to big of a word but I'm traveling from Phoenix, AZ to Boulder, CO starting the end of July (30 or 31st) with no real end date. I want to disperse camp up along me route and I've picked some goals on camping locations. I would like to hear what you guys think of my plan and if you have any suggestions for a place away from humans.

1st stop: Flagstaff, AZ - Going to camp at the base of Mt. Humphrey and start working for the peak in the AM.

2nd: Somewhere along the Colorado River. I was thinking I'd stay a couple nights along the river. I've found Hite, UT but it seems pretty much most of Canyonlands Nation Park has the river running through it. I'm having trouble really finding a spot though to pitch my tent or where to hike to pitch my tent.

3rd: Moab, UT - depending how far south i camp along the River I'll probably skip this place or camp here too. I want to see the rock formations around the area.

4th: This would be a in between stopping place. I'm tossing the idea somewhere in Grand Mesa National Forest or Marble, CO at the base of Sheep MT.

5th: Grand Country, CO aka Hot Sulphur Springs. Still looking for a place here to camp at.

6th: After the Hot Springs I was wanting to spend a couple nights in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Any suggestions for this place? Its so big i'm not sure where to start!

7th: Lastly i'll end up in Boulder, CO. Here i'll be camping and airbnb for a few days.

Anyway, this is my plan. I would love to hear some feedback from anyone that is interseted and suggestions of places to sleep and hangout.

Cheers!
    -Ben

Re: My Rocky Mountain 'Expedition"

Originally posted by benwentw View Post
    Hey all!

Ok, so maybe Expedition is a little to big of a word but I'm traveling from Phoenix, AZ to Boulder, CO starting the end of July (30 or 31st) with no real end date. I want to disperse camp up along me route and I've picked some goals on camping locations. I would like to hear what you guys think of my plan and if you have any suggestions for a place away from humans.

1st stop: Flagstaff, AZ - Going to camp at the base of Mt. Humphrey and start working for the peak in the AM.

2nd: Somewhere along the Colorado River. I was thinking I'd stay a couple nights along the river. I've found Hite, UT but it seems pretty much most of Canyonlands Nation Park has the river running through it. I'm having trouble really finding a spot though to pitch my tent or where to hike to pitch my tent.

3rd: Moab, UT - depending how far south i camp along the River I'll probably skip this place or camp here too. I want to see the rock formations around the area.

4th: This would be a in between stopping place. I'm tossing the idea somewhere in Grand Mesa National Forest or Marble, CO at the base of Sheep MT.

5th: Grand Country, CO aka Hot Sulphur Springs. Still looking for a place here to camp at.

6th: After the Hot Springs I was wanting to spend a couple nights in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Any suggestions for this place? Its so big i'm not sure where to start!

7th: Lastly i'll end up in Boulder, CO. Here i'll be camping and airbnb for a few days.

Anyway, this is my plan. I would love to hear some feedback from anyone that is interseted and suggestions of places to sleep and hangout.

Cheers!
    -Ben
    I don't have a lot to ask other than to say that I have had some good results using both Google Maps and Google Earth to scout out new dispersed camping locations. Probably want to make sure you know the details of the rules for dispersed camping in each area you plan to stop in. I doubt there is much difference from forest to forest but best to be prepared.

I am really jealous. I would love to get out of this heat for an extended period of time.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Hey thanks James!

Is it me or is the summer just getting hotter and hotter? Really I'm just excited to get away from this humidity finally!
      I read a post on here from this guy who's like a pro and he gave a link to a site for hard copies of trail maps and such. I'm going to buying one for AZ, NV and CO. Also I just downloaded REI's National Park's app. Definitely be trying it out on the trip. Just need one of those battery extensions.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

@ Ben - Sounds like a great trip you have planned.....You'll be seeing a ton of beautiful country.....Take lots of pics to share, have a fantastic time & safe travels to ya !!
        2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Working...
        X