Camping Medical Emergencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Medical Emergencies

One of the loose ends I'm trying to get done for a camping trip next month is putting together a first-aid kit. There are all kinds of suggested lists out there for hypothetical situations. What I'm wondering is, with the many years of camping experience on the forum here, what actual types of injuries/emergencies have people personally experienced or had to deal with. eg: burns? ax/knife cuts? food/water poisoning? falls/sprains/broken bones? snake bites? bear attacks? heatstroke? hypothermia? etc, etc. Just wondering what has actually happened in the real world of camping.

Re: Camping Medical Emergencies

Personal experience on trips: Fire burns and sunburns. Insect bites (spider, mosquitoes, etc.). Scrapes and scratches. Cuts from pocket knives and swiss army knife scissors. Twisted ankles. Fillings/caps falling out. Heatstroke (I was very susceptible when I was a kid). Dehydration. Ticks. Chiggers. Spider mites.

Know others who have had: Dislocated/broken shoulders/arms/legs. Seizures in dogs (happened to 2 different dogs at 2 different times at the same campground - vet never could find what caused them). Dog falling into aqua-duct. Serious ATV injuries. Falling down hillside.

Never known anyone who has been bitten by a snake, attacked by a bear, or had hypothermia - but don't know anyone who has done any extreme backpacking.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I can't think of a single thing....my brother burned his finger on the lantern when we were kids but thats all I got.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

My overall experience follows toedtoes'; with a few serious exceptions...
        Primarily very minor scrapes, cuts, burns insect bites/stings, an occasional fish hook splinter etc. most do not really need treatment although I carry a small bottle of providone-iodine to prevent/treat infections and 6 large fabric band aids in the wallet (hold over from being a sheet metal worker).
        More serious injuries include a few deep cuts from glass (only a very silly person brings glass camping, IMO) or sharp torn metal trash occasional face impacts with roll bars/tree branches (carry some large fabric band aids to make butterflies or carry some butterflies; clean around the wounds with moist towelettes (KFC towelettes/baby wipes OK) alcohol prep pads or providone-iodine pads, clean wound if dirty and apply providone-iodine to prevent infection close and bandage))
        ...people rolling and flipping quads, dirt bikes, falling over logs etc. (carry at least a 4" ace bandage or equivalent for strains and sprains; I favor Vetwrap it comes in colors and is cheaper to give away).
        Grit/debris , in eyes while not normally serious is a pain in the ...eye; I carry a plastic eyecup in the kit fill with clean water place over eye blink, look up down left right tip head back, repeat. Remove, discard water rinse.

Axes/hatchets attract, children, incompetents/stoners and drunks (don't bring them (your choice which)) or keep them secured.

Since I used to hunt I took to carrying a battle dressing in case of a truly serious wound; unused so far (crosses fingers)...

For general protective bandaging (breathable wound cover I carry a selection of gauze pads and a couple of rollers of gause.
        Years ago I fount that high quality duct tape was excellent to stick gauze to skin and could (when torn or cut in half or thirds length wise) bind a broken finger to the unbroken one next to it.
        Duct tape also works to cover a hot spot before a blister forms on feet and ankles (treat 'em early so you don't have to deal with 'em later).

A chapstick is light, takes no room and can really ease chapped lips.
        sunburn is preventable with sunblock (or often a wide brimmed hat)
        A small pill bottle of aspirin is good for headaches)
        Zantac works for heartburn and acid stomach.
        If someone doesn't realize that failure to completely rinse soap from cook were can cause diarrhea they may want to carry Imodium.
        Oral rehydration salts (a packet or mix your own) could save a child with diarrhea.

The most serious burn (wasn't really) came on a drunk who missed while jumping over a campfire; drag him out, put him out with beer and hope he learns from the pain.

When you start shivering uncontrollably, feeling a bit drunk and the snow drifts look comfortable you need to get warm NOW!.. Lived though it.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-15-2016, 07:07 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Only thing we have ever used is tweezers for ticks on the dog, and hydrogen peroxide, neopsorin/bacitracin ointment, and bandaids for cuts on us. I carry a snakebite kit and luckily have never needed it.

We are generally are as close to a hospital or walk in clinic when we camp as we are when we are at home - 30 minutes away.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I actually just had to take a pic and make a list of our camping first aid kit for a Venture Vermont challenge, so here is our first aid kit for car camping with two kiddos:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Camping First Aid Kit.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	70586
            and the list:
            Aloe Vera Gel
            Hydrogen Peroxide
            Isopropyl Alcohol
            Adult Ibuprophen
            Children's Ibuprophen
            Children's Tylenol
            Children's Benedryl
            Vaseline
            Toilet Paper
            Hand Sanitizer
            Benedryl Itch Stick
            Visene/Clear Eyes Eye Drops
            Hydrocortizone Cream
            Antibiotic Cream (Neosporin)
            Razor
            Swimmer's Ear Drops
            Alka Seltzer
            Hand Wipes
            Gauze Pads (2 sizes)
            Band Aids (assorted)
            Lactaid Chewables
            Medi Strips Wound Closures
            Tissues
            Nail File
            Nail Clippers (2 types)
            Tweezers
            Q-Tips

I do also throw in a couple pairs of hubby's non-latex gloves from work, but otherwise that's what I pack.

Mainly we deal with minor cuts and scrapes, the rare splinter, bug bites (DD #1 is VERY allergic to bug bites and swells up like a balloon, thus the childrens' benedryl), and honestly not much more than that. I will say I did have a camping buddy back in my 20's chop off the tip of his finger with an ax on one of our trips, but like actad above, we are never too far from a hospital or medical facility when camping since we pretty much stick to the state parks.
            Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Hiking mostly, so ...blisters! Tincture of Benzoin (ampules) and Leukotape P.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I carry two first aid kits . One in the truck and one in my stow away boxes . Aside from that, probably the two most important things I Carry is ibuprofen and Benadryl. I bring kids and pill form Benadryl . You never know when someone is allergic to that bee that just stung them.

Comment

Just an end of kids' camping trip reminder for next year: bring mo mo cartoon bandaids. It was the de rigeur fashion accessory of the season and when they ran out there was a distinct downswing in reported booboos.
                  Wait! Think I need to rethink that statement.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

For sure you'll experience burns, sun burns (depending on the weather conditions), and insect bites. :aww:

Comment

Haha, when I was a kid, the cure for everything was tincture of iodine :aww::aww: We didn't go to Momma for booboos if it could be avoided at ALL.

Comment

Come to think of it, iodine crystals might not be a bad idea. They are good for sterilizing your drinking water. I like dual-purpose gear.

Comment

Tincture of iodine is BAD; the alcohol actually kills healthy cells (causing the pain) get and use providone-iodine ... Its widely used by doctors as well as veterinarians... also no pain...
                          And much better performance than triple antibiotic..(might just as well use petroleum jelly)
                          Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                          X