Good-bye Coleman lantern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good-bye Coleman lantern?

I was reading another post and it occured to me that my Coleman fueled lantern is just about done for. Not worn out (its practically new) but I think its time as a source of light is just about past. LED lanterns are simply better in every way.

You can get more and brighter light. The "fuel" is safer and more compact. Can be built into the lantern. It doesn't get as hot and doesnt attract as many bugs. No more mantles to buy or glass to break. And you can take it inside your tent with you.

Someday our kids will be searching garage sales and get excited at finding an old time lantern like their parents had back in the day.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Good-bye Coleman lantern?

My husband just had to purchase a coleman lantern. Why, I don't know. I got LED lanterns and yes...so much easier and I don't freak out when the kids have them I got a couple Lucie lamps for our upcoming trips I am very excited to use and see how well they do!

Comment

I know the pain of the Coleman gas lantern life! I've had to buy a globe for one of my three Coleman "hissers", and learned to buy a handful of mantles now and then when they are on sale. Of course, after 33 years for the two model 288s, and almost a decade on my NorthStar propane, what was I expecting? Hopefully someday an equivalent lantern in LED will come along to measure up to my Colemans, the three of them on their tripods light up the campsite with plentiful light, and the Northstar can be safely brought inside the tent to warm up the insides at bedtime. Until then, I'll tote along my MSR fuel carrier to refill my two flamethrowers and an extra bottle o'gas for the Northstar - after all, we use Coleman Fuel that has very low volatility as a liquid fuel. Technology always delivers, one just needs to be patient and do periodic research I guess.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If I HAVE to have a lantern, one of my Coleman's does the trick. I don't like buying batteries. Call it an eccentricity. My musical equipment eats batteries and that is all I care to spend on the things. I have a battery lantern (it was a gift) and I hate it - the color of the light is all wrong.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Lights up most, if not all, of the site.

Comment

I LOVE my propane lanterns. I have led for in the tent. I love the gas lanterns out in camp. I can crank it up if I need more light and turn it down to just a small glow as it starts getting later. I've found that small glow to be perfect to wind down to and it doesn't attract the bugs. Just bought a new north star last year.

Comment

I have one new (well 30 years old and only taken out of the box to look at) and and one softly used dual-fuel Coleman lantern... It has been literally years (decades) since I wanted that much light in the outdoors.. I do agree though that if you need a lot of glaring, hard on the eyes light they are a way to go.

I keep them (with 4mantles in each carrying case) for emergency/disaster lighting.

The fuel has never really been an issue for me, still have a can and a half in stock from the days when it was less than $3 a gallon.

I have even given up using the dim first or second generation LED lantern.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep lantern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	70583
              Now I use these (LED solar garden lights) to reduce stumbling near the tent

and don't even try to bring daylight to the site.

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-12-2016, 07:05 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                I have one new (well 30 years old and only taken out of the box to look at) and and one softly used dual-fuel Coleman lantern... It has been literally years (decades) since I wanted that much light in the outdoors.. I do agree though that if you need a lot of glaring, hard on the eyes light they are a way to go.

I keep them (with 4mantles in each carrying case) for emergency/disaster lighting.

The fuel has never really been an issue for me, still have a can and a half in stock from the days when it was less than $3 a gallon.

I have even given up using the dim first or second generation LED lantern.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]5661[/ATTACH]
                Now I use these (LED solar garden lights) to reduce stumbling near the tent

and don't even try to bring daylight to the site.

Enjoy!
                So once the sun goes down its campfire or nothing? What about when there is a fire restriction?
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  So once the sun goes down its campfire or nothing? What about when there is a fire restriction?
                  The solar lights come on automatically after dark, although their batteries run down well before dawn (got to remember to replace them with some higher capacity NiMh cells).
                  ... one of these for less than absolutely no combustion fire bans;

When using the canopy, sometimes the 470 lumen soft white LED globe light hangs from the center (Seen here above the easy chair in the 9x9)

Name:	Tent light.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	70585

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-12-2016, 03:03 PM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Too hot to camp, so we are doing projects around the house this weekend. Was partway through rewiring some outside lighting at the house today but the east coast heat dome resulted in 103 degree heat index by late morning. So, the rewiring job is on hold until cooler early morning temps tomorrow. This left no lights in the kitchen until the wiring job is finished.

I got out my UCO 3 candle lantern that I bought in February and never got around to using on our camping trips this year. Nice enough amount of light to cook dinner, eat, and clean up. It is definitely going on the next camping trip. I just ordered some of the citronella and beeswax candles to try out.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by CecilliaB View Post
                      My husband just had to purchase a coleman lantern. Why, I don't know. I got LED lanterns and yes...so much easier and I don't freak out when the kids have them I got a couple Lucie lamps for our upcoming trips I am very excited to use and see how well they do!
                      Made a decision to bypass the lanterns for the same reasons. Still holding on to my stove though.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have one of the Coleman led lanterns with the detachable panels for the kids/tent. The gas lantern gets hung from the Ez up and lives there until we leave.

Comment

...On the Glamping front; I picked up a really Cheap (with a capital C) floor lamp from wally-mart (shortened it up by removing one section of the support tube)... (Edit) ; can't recommend this lamp; it has issues with stripping the threads in the tubes and requires manipulation to stand straight and vertical on the floor at home...)

Name:	floorlamp.png
Views:	3
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	70598

Since we will, probability, be bringing the fast/e-z up canopy next trip, I needed something for the tent while the globe light is occupied lighting the canopy (and I wanted to avoid repetition & try something different).
                          Total lighting draw; about 1.2 amps @ 12 volts for the two lights. (edit; ) they are 120 volt lamps; I will use them with a battery & inverter).

Now I just have to make up a way to turn it on and off from the tent entry, after dark (without a spider web of wires)...

(Edit: )I think I have a possibility here;
                          https://www.amazon.com/INSMA-Channel...+control+relay

(...worrying about fire bans; stage one - no campfires in effect, at our likely site, now...)

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I just picked up a set of LED puck lights at Costco today. They came 6 for $18.99. They push on and off like most - one power setting. But, they have a remote control and that offers more options: They are dimmable - 4 presets (10%, 40%, 80% and 100%) and a manual up/down button that takes it down to about 4%. They also have 4 presets for timer - 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, and 120 minutes.

I plan on using one outside my clipper for when I step away at night. I can keep the remote in my pocket or pack and when I get close (6 ft range), click on the light so I can see to get inside. I can also set it at the lowest setting and set the timer so that I can find the clipper in the night without having to bring daylight to the campground.

The packaging says they'll last 20 hours on 3 AAA batteries at 100% power. So looks really good to me.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

No idea what the issue is with kids and Coleman lanterns? I've raised three of them through college and am curious as to what the paranoid frenzy is, exactly. It takes a dozen LED battery-operated lamps to equal a Coleman Northstar. As far as that glaring, too-bright fuel lamps, stop looking at it directly, LOL. Get a couple of tripods, put a $12 reflector shade on it and have real lighting in your campsite for pennies.
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X