Tent Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Recommendation

For years I have been camping with my parents' old tent. After a camping through a rough storm at Wyalusing State Park (WI) and waking up soaking wet, I would like to upgrade to new tent.

I am looking for a 2-3 person tent that has a full coverage rainfly, but I am not even sure where to start looking. I've browsed online and in some stores looking for one, but I am very hesitant to buy without knowing for sure that what I am getting is good. I want something that will not only keep me dry, but also last me a long time. Quality is key.

My budget isn't very high considering that I am a student. So if possible, I'd like to keep it at or under $250

Can anyone recommend some quality tents? Or a place where I could find them???

Re: Tent Recommendation

We have the Mountainsmith Morrison 2. We purchased it after reading a review on Backpacker Magazine. We are very happy with this tent, it is well made, fairly light weight and easy to set up.

http://mountainsmith.com/morrison-2.html

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
      We have the Mountainsmith Morrison 2. We purchased it after reading a review on Backpacker Magazine. We are very happy with this tent, it is well made, fairly light weight and easy to set up.

http://mountainsmith.com/morrison-2.html
      Looks nice! And well within my price range How is the floor in this one? Is it waterproof? Or would you recommend a tarp underneath? Thank you

Comment

I'm happy with ozark trail tents from Walmart. Work well for us.

Comment

I was recently in your exact shoes. I ended up with a 4man slumberjack(great price on groupon) and a 3man coleman hooligan. I did allot of reviewing on youtube and amazon before making my decision. Strongly recommend those sources even if you don't purchase through amazon.

Comment

If quality is priority number one and you'd consider a canvas tent, Cabela's has the new Kodiak 2-person tent on sale right now - a steal at $200. No, it doesn't have a rainfly, but their canvas is about as bulletproof as you'll find in a tent. Hang a tarp over it and you've got a tent that should last for years. I just bought one and, even though I haven't had it out on a trip yet, I did set it up to see what's what and I'm every bit as impressed with it as I am with the 10x10 I already own.

Comment

Ozark Trails plus Blue Tarp -don't knock it, it's cheaper than a Kelty.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                Ozark Trails plus Blue Tarp -don't knock it, it's cheaper than a Kelty.
                Lol, my current tent is just the blue tarp.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

I recently got a Marmot Limelight 4 and I like it very much, maybe the Limelight 3 would be worth looking into

Comment

I like my Coleman instant cabin tents, but they are for above freezing conditions - actually high forties is the lowest real comfort temperature for me.

Really intrigued by the Cabela's Kodiak 2 person Macgyver linked. I have been looking for an all season tent. The Kodiak dimensions at 8.5x6x4 are not far from my favorite tent which is the four person Coleman sized at 8x7x5.

Looks like 10% off and free shipping is running now on this at Cabela's - just have an $8 oversize item shipping fee.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                      Really intrigued by the Cabela's Kodiak 2 person Macgyver linked. I have been looking for an all season tent.
                      That's pretty much why I bought it. I like the insulating qualities of canvas but didn't want to haul the full size tent when I'm not running a heater. I won't camp in full-out summer heat, but I figure the canvas will keep me comfortable in weather that's a bit warmer than I'd typically go out in.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        If quality is priority number one and you'd consider a canvas tent, Cabela's has the new Kodiak 2-person tent on sale right now - a steal at $200. No, it doesn't have a rainfly, but their canvas is about as bulletproof as you'll find in a tent. Hang a tarp over it and you've got a tent that should last for years. I just bought one and, even though I haven't had it out on a trip yet, I did set it up to see what's what and I'm every bit as impressed with it as I am with the 10x10 I already own.
                        I'm sure the quality is up there, but so is the weight! 30 pounds for a two-person tent seems a bit excessive and pretty much relegates this to use for car camping. Not that that's a bad thing, but if the OP has any interest in backpacking and wants to buy just one tent, then canvas wouldn't be the best choice.

Comment

I recently bought a 3-person tent from Amazon. we are very happy with this tent, well made waterproof and lightweight for hiking, last week we went for a hiking and camping , there was medium rainning when we settled down, the tent protect us from the rainning well.:yipi:

Comment

Sorry I just saw this. It is waterproof but we still use the ground cloth. It is waterproof but we still use a ground cloth

Comment

WWe bought the bushnell 15x9 tent 2 rooms and 2 doors with a front vestibule which like very much. You can get them on walmart and amazon. We really like it we soaked it good and didn't leak and just finished a 9 day camping trip and held up pretty good with the wind. We got ours for 183.00 and are really happy it

Comment

Working...
                              X