• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't cook in foil? WHAT WHAT WHAT?

Just saw this, the FDA is ruining my life again. :aww:
    http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-rec...num-foil-toxic

Re: Don't cook in foil? WHAT WHAT WHAT?

An old publication and a tin-foil website don't the FDA make, lol. Or you can always stop cooking in citric and acetic acid on the grill.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

With only a half hearted search I found this from webmd:
      Back in the 1960s, a few studies found high levels of aluminum in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease. The research suddenly called into question the safety of everyday household items such as aluminum cans, antacids, and antiperspirants.

But the findings of these early studies weren’t replicated in later research, and experts have essentially ruled out aluminum as a possible cause of Alzheimer's.
      So....if that part of the study is bunk then it kind of calls everything into question. Besides, antipersperant uses aluminum in your pores to make you stop sweating. I would think that daily application of aluminum to your pores in what I would call a "sensitive area" would do more harm than the occational tin foil meal.

Now, I am not saying that aluminum doesnt leach into the food. But I don't see it as a problem either.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

There have been studies that link the use of aluminum cookware to Alzheimer's disease. Then again, "they" change their minds on things. One minute you can't eat eggs, next only the whites, then the yolks are the good part. In my mind, it's crazy to limit living your life according to every little alarm. They say vegans live an average of seven years longer than non-vegans. That's seven baconless, cheesburgerless, steak subless years. Guess I'm checking out seven years early.

Comment

I'm not impressed with the article. There is no science to it - just a googled collection of stuff that may or may not have any merit and no reference to any study, etc. Just another 21st century sensationalist article of nothing to see.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            Just another 21st century sensationalist article of nothing to see.
            THAT never happens. Nope. Never.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              THAT never happens. Nope. Never.
              Oh that's right, my bad.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

THEY say that frequently changing your avatar leads to an early demise....
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  This does not bode well for Mac.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Well, I never heard this before and now it's too late for me. I've been cooking outdoors on coal bbq for so many years using those thick "tin foil" specifically sold to cook on top of. The thicker type with holes in it. Not cheap stuff but really nice to cook on and keeps things easy to clean.

You may have heard of the term tin foil hat. Actually, there is a story behind it. Back in 1967, the "Naked Jesus of Haight Ashbury" - a guy who would walk about naked in The Haight - sometimes would make a hat out of tin foil. In fact, his nickname WAS "Tin Foil Hat". Well, he invented cooking outdoors using tin foil, though I suppose others tried it but he was famous for it. One day he found some bananas left out next to the "Bakers Delight" cafe and took them to the Golden Gate Park. He decided to fry bananas but being sort of a bum, he didn't have a camping stove (though years later he did buy a Coleman in 1972). So he took off his tin foil hat and made a cooking rig with stones, a hole, dried leaves and the tin foil. He always carried a Zippo lighter, so no problem. However, the article says you can fry your brain using tin foil. But he was already crazy. But he might have been doing tin foil for a long time.

Comment

I grew up eating food cooked in aluminum pans and occasionally foil. No <twitch...twitch...> problems yet! :he:
                      I do prefer steel or cast iron now, but it's not for health issues.
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        Originally posted by James. View Post
                        This does not bode well for Mac.
                        I don't know what you mean...

Comment

Bad news, but I don't believe):money:

Comment

Working...
                          X