Best way to convert 12VDC to 110 VAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to convert 12VDC to 110 VAC?

Want to run a 110 VAC fan using 12VDC to keep cool at night because cannot run generator at night? What is easiest or best way to run a 12 VAC fan at night?

Re: Best way to convert 12VDC to 110 VAC?

An inverter is used to run 110 and 120 VAC appliances from 12 volts DC. HOWEVER; electric motors typically suck a lot of electricity, so depending on the amperage require by your fan it may not be practical (for a quick and dirty estimate of the 12 volt current that a 120 volt device with an inverter will draw at 12 volts multiply the 120 volt amperage by 10; so a 120 volt 3 amp device will take more than 30 amps at 12 volts and need a huge battery to run all night.. If by chance it uses a synchronous motor (which depends on the frequency of the AC to determine the speed it may not run well/quietly/efficiently or, possibly/rarely, at all with an inexpensive (non sine wave) inverter.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I think you'd be better off skipping the inverter setup and get a quality 12 volt fan. You'll still need a sizable battery and/or a way to recharge it, but at least you won't waste battery power trying to convert to AC.
      Last edited by MacGyver; 07-07-2016, 05:30 AM.

Comment

It looks like I am looking for something like a Goal Zero Yeti 400, this will provide a DC power source that can be charged up during the day.
        I guess it depends on the DC fan as to how long the fan will run?

Are there other equivalent power sources like the Goal Zero Yeti 400 due to cost of these and most important would the Goal Zero Yeti 400 work to run a 12 VDC fan?

Comment

Yes the fan draw determines the runtime for a given battery... I have used a small computer fan for personal cooling (air conditioning failure at work)...not sure how well they would work as an area fan though.

Any electrical device will draw current (in amps). When multiplied by the time it runs (in hours) you get amp hours.
          Batteries are also rated in amp hours but be careful not to run a lead-acid battery below 75% or 50% of its capacity, doing so will reduce its total life to some extent.
          By dividing the amp hour rating of a battery (75% of the amp hour rating for lead acid batteries) by the current draw of the device you can estimate its runtime.

The goal zero 400 uses a 33 amp hour lead-acid battery; http://www.goalzero.com/p/327/goal-z...-battery/28:3/
          similar sized batteries are available more cheaply.

There are also several competitors with goal zero although I don't know if they have smaller units like the 400; Brunton.com (no experience with them; not a recommendation) is one.

I too looked at Goal Zero products, the last time my camping battery bank died.
          The price blew them out of the water, as a choice.
          ...some folks assemble their own, as I did; http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...19-Battery-Box

You, too, can, probably, assemble an approximation of a Yeti 400 or bigger unit much cheaper, yourself.
          Select a fan, Determine your total draw/load, determine how long it will run, divide this number by .75 then select a battery with even more capacity.
          Charge it with solar panels (and a controller) or a trickle(or other) charger (be careful not to store it partially charged, this leads to sulfation (formation of lead sulfate crystals) which will reduce your batterie's capacity. Top off the charge at least monthly in storage.

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

This works for two people in an 18 ft. Travel Trailer:

I use the O2 Cool USB fan and a 6000 mAh brick originally bought for a cell phone. It runs all night with very little draw on the battery brick and I have it blowing over the bed. (This one is nice because you can adjust tilt. It can also be plugged in directly to the 12 volt socket.)

Did this for ten nights so far this year. Some days were in the 90's and the hottest night was in the 70's. If you are able to run your generator before quiet time to use the AC, it works even better, but we did this without any AC and it worked well.

I open the emergency hatch window above the bed and the little window on the opposite wall (the bed sits across the front of the travel trailer.)

All other windows are closed. Then, I run the exhaust fan in the bathroom off of 12 volt. That draws the cooler night air into the sleeping area across us, and the fan helps to further circulate the air.

If anybody gets up in the middle of the night, which is usual, we shut off the exhaust fan in the bathroom as it usually not needed past 2am.
            Last edited by actad; 07-13-2016, 09:44 AM.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

... sounds good! 6000 milliamp hours (mah) is the same as 6 Amp Hours.
              the battery that I use when the air conditioning failed was a 12 volt, 8 amp hour "brick" (in the $20, or less range or less on amazon). I used it roughly 8-9 hours per day for a week or slightly longer. If I recall correctly the computer fan drew 80 milliamps (0.08 amps) (it was years ago, so this might not be correct), I don't remember charging it but based on the numbers; probably did. It was a functional but scrap customer return.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
              X