12 VDC conversion 110 VAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 VDC conversion 110 VAC

What is the best way to run a 110VAC fan in a camper? I have a Coachmen Clipper 17BH that I charge the battery with a generator every day (cannot run at night). Just want to know the best way to keep cool at night because cannot run a generator at night. I was thinking about charging the battery and using an inverter (DC to AC) to run the fan and maybe run a portable DVD player at night?

Thanks ahead of time, Caldwell

Re: 12 VDC conversion 110 VAC

Why not run a 12vdc fan off of the battery directly?

Comment

You can buy DC to AC converters just about everywhere these days. I've even seen smaller units on grocery store shelves. But converting 12 volts to 120 AC comes with a pretty good loss of battery reserve. Inverters don't convert at 100% efficiency and consume power when they're turned on even if no AC is being used. On top of that, because you're considering running a DVD player, it should be noted that some electronics don't get along too well with the cheaper modified sine wave inverters and might require using a pure sine wave inverter. The pure sine units cost considerably more and draw more power in idle mode compared to the modifieds.

You didn't say how much battery you have. That'll come into play no matter what kind of setup you go with. If you want to go with an inverter, you'd have to figure out how much current your fan and DVD player use, how long you intend to run them and factor in the inverter loss to see what options will work for you. Also taken into consideration is the fact that just about all inverters stop working when the voltage drops to around 10 volts. Anything with a motor tends to draw pretty heavily on a battery, even without dealing with inverter loss so I'd be more inclined to go with Kodiakxj's suggestion and go with a 12 volt fan and DVD player.

Comment

I agree with both the above. First is to identify how much battery power you have. There are ways to get more battery power - golf cart batteries, AGM, etc. - depending on how much room you have. The AGM 12v batteries have the benefit of being sealed and being able to be put in an unvented space. One AGM group 31 12v battery will take up slightly more room than a standard wet cell 12v battery and give you significantly more power. Two golf cart 6v batteries will take up more room than any 12v battery, but will give you more power than the AGM for less money. Knowing what you have now and what space you have available can make the decision process easier.

A fan (of any type) will move around the air, but it won't cool anything down. The problem in an RV is that there is little to no insulation in the walls and unless the nighttime temps drop significantly, the heat in the walls doesn't dissipate. The fan will move the air so it's less stuffy, but it won't cool the temperature. If there is any breeze at all, opening all the windows and vents will do more than a fan will do.

With all that, a 12v fan will work to move the air around. A 120v fan will give more movement, but it will use up a lot more battery power. For an all night run, the 12v fan is the best option (especially if you want to run other things off the battery at night - such as the water pump, dvd player, lights, etc.). Remember also that your RV fridge has to have battery power to operate even when it runs on propane.

For the dvd player, I would get one with a rechargeable battery that will last through 2 movies and the AC and 12v charger cords. That way, you can watch the movies at night using the internal battery power, then plug it into the 12v socket to recharge the next day when you have the generator running. No inverter necessary, no drain on the trailer battery when battery power is at a premium, and easy recharging while you're outside playing.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Whoa, who dug this thread up from the depths?
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Leever2000 View Post
            What is the best way to run a 110VAC fan in a camper? I have a Coachmen Clipper 17BH that I charge the battery with a generator every day (cannot run at night). Just want to know the best way to keep cool at night because cannot run a generator at night. I was thinking about charging the battery and using an inverter (DC to AC) to run the fan and maybe run a portable DVD player at night?

Thanks ahead of time, Caldwell
            But since we did I will agree that getting using 12v equipment is the way to go.

quoted to, hopefully, alert the OP.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              But since we did I will agree that getting using 12v equipment is the way to go.

quoted to, hopefully, alert the OP.
              looking at his stats, he only made 3 posts. He never made it past The moderation period. In Uncle Si words, He Gone.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	70742
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment