Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I wanna go camping!

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    Why, yes, it would be an Escape trailer. Got my eye on the 21 foot model.
    Hey, Mac: Escape is a great trailer! Also check out Oliver Travel Trailers. Most long-lasting well-built trailer I have ever seen. All American made in hills of Tennessee. Sister and I took the whole factory tour in 2014. Escapes are awesome, too!

Comment

Well I got out again four times since my last post here.

The first was to a new campground, Spanish Creek near Quincy California. I had just broken my hand so I took the clipper since I couldn't hitch with my wrong hand. It was a nice trip. The campsite was pleasant - I was camped in the lower loop with the tenters (rather than up the hill with the big RVs). The creek was pretty but hard to get to as there was a drop from the bank to the water that was covered in vines and roots. With being one-handed, I didn't explore much. Just got away from work and relaxed.

The second trip was July. I went to Wolf Creek at Union Valley Reservoir. This was the maiden trip in the FnR. It was at a popular camping area that I hadn't been to in several years. It seemed like it was much more crowded than I remembered- I think my other favorite campgrounds are more spread out and cater more to couples into hiking than families hanging out. It went well and I was able to get a good feel for the FnR. I need to do some reorganizing and such and need to tote additional water if I want to take it dry camping for more than 4 days.

In August I took the clipper (trying to rotate each month) to my very favorite campsite - I won't post the name online but if you're going to be in the Sierras send me a PM... This was the trip where 7 families were camped there and I spent the weekend watching the kids play in the creek. I enjoyed it a lot even though it wasn't as quiet as usual.

This last week, I had planned to go to Running Deer campground near LaPorte with a friend or two. But it ended up the others couldn't go and the campground wasn't staying open past Labor Day. So I ended up going back to my favorite campground. Since I had the whole week, I ended up taking the clipper again. Drove up Saturday and there were a couple sites taken in my loop, a couple families kids in the upper tent loop and a couple big RVs in the third loop. By Tuesday, it was me, one couple in my loop who stayed at their site and one or two sites taken in the tent loop. By Wednesday morning the couple in my loop were gone. Bat-dog was thrilled! Each morning I opened the clipper door and she ran straight to the creek and got her morning drink; found a good spot to pee; then jumped back inside to play with her toys. Moose-dog was much more subdued about it, but he really liked the freedom also. We went hiking and didn't have to worry about others on the trail. We sat down at the creek and read until Moose-dog wanted shade and cushions. Saw only a couple people a day. Thursday we went hiking and I let Bat-dog take the lead. AApparently her sonar is only good for finding squirrel skins and deer trails. She took us along a nice path for a while, then the path narrowed. The next thing I know we are on the side of a steep hillside with huge granite boulders below us and a sea of shale shards above us. The path was barely wide enough for me. It took us around and down the hill to the creek. We checked out the creek and then went to hwad back. Bat-dog said she knew the way... Unfortunately it was a one-way trail and we ended up on a very minimal deer trail that ended at a cliff. We tried a different deer trail and ended up above the shale shards blocked in by a granite mountain. Poor Moose-dog and I were on our butts more than on our feet. We ended up having to manuever down the sea of shale shards until we found the trail again. It took a good 45 minutes to get back to the actual trail. Moose-dog and I no longer trust Garmin GPS or Bat-dog GPS. By the time we made it back to camp, Moose-dog and I were done for the day. Bat-dog was raring to go again. I rather miss the overweight Bat-dog. Friday afternoon a friend came out for a visit, so we let Bat-dog take her to the sea of shale. When Moose-dog saw it, he stopped dead. No way was he doing it again. We turned around - I wasn't either and Bat-dog's "aunt" wasn't going to follow her either. Bat-dog was sure to point out the squirrel skin on the way back. Friday night a couple new campers showed up on our loop. Saturday, we went for another short hike. Bat-dog found another deer trail and was checking it. Then she went quiet. I called and whistled and there was nothing. I went around to follow the trail. She was sitting next to a barbed wire fence. She got her leash clipped on the fence and just sat waiting for me to undo her. She was too short to jump it like the deers. When we got back to camp, there was a large motorhome and TT stopped in the road while the adults looked for sites big enough to fit. That is when we decided to head home. This was a wonderful trip - so quiet and relaxed. Saw a couple backpackers coming in off the Pacific Crest Trail. The dogs were thrilled to have a bit more freedom that usual. I loved having it all to myself. Actualy felt rested afterwards.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Last edited by frank6160; 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          Coleman Collectors?

International Coleman Collectors Club

http://intlccc.net/

(can't believe I've never noticed your ?)

Comment

I've been trying to get out for a solo trip for over a month now and something always seems to pop up that keeps me home. Well... while just about everybody around here is praying we're done with snow, I'm hoping the forecast for this weekend is accurate. They're calling for a good chance for half a foot of snow out in Western Maryland and I'm determined to be right out in the middle of it. Fingers crossed for the snow, eyes and toes crossed for no calamities to keep me home.

Comment

I've been trying to get out for a solo trip for over a month now and something always seems to pop up that keeps me home. Well... while just about everybody around here is praying we're done with snow, I'm hoping the forecast for this weekend is accurate. They're calling for a good chance for half a foot of snow out in Western Maryland and I'm determined to be right out in the middle of it. Fingers crossed for the snow, eyes and toes crossed for no calamities to keep me home.
              Hope you are having fun in the snow.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Hope you are having fun in the snow.
                No surprise. Not only did the snow not materialize, but Friday afternoon I was about two minutes from calling 911 to come get my a**. Felt like I was going to pass out, sweating enough to soak my clothes. Probably a good thing I didn't go.

Comment

That sucks! Flu? Last time I wanted to pass out was when I broke my hand.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Not sure what it was. Laid down with a cool rag on my forehead, slept for a couple of hours and woke up feeling pretty much back to normal. Probably blood sugar levels out of whack from binging on 50% off Valentine's candy. I never claimed to be all that smart. LOL

Comment

Not sure what it was. Laid down with a cool rag on my forehead, slept for a couple of hours and woke up feeling pretty much back to normal. Probably blood sugar levels out of whack from binging on 50% off Valentine's candy. I never claimed to be all that smart. LOL
                      You mean you didn't MacGyver an insulin treatment out of banana skins or some such??? :mdr:

Comment

You don't make insulin out of banana skins, silly... You need birch tree bark and sap from a maple tree, both baked inside a fish skin. Then you boil the resultant mush in water you get from a solar still made from car parts in a pot made from river mud, then filtered through a micro fiber cloth. Unfortunately, I was too busy trying not fall over to get all that together.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	roflmfao.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	71124

That's why I'm not MacGyvering...

Comment

No surprise. Not only did the snow not materialize, but Friday afternoon I was about two minutes from calling 911 to come get my a**. Felt like I was going to pass out, sweating enough to soak my clothes. Probably a good thing I didn't go.
                            Sorry to hear that but I guess it all worked out for the best. Better luck next time.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Getting ready to go out for "the birthday trip". Taking the clipper for this. Dogs and I spent yesterday doing some supply checks and prep work. Got some new lanterns (they come in lime and orange how was I supposed to pass them up?):

Name:	41xSxMPFjPL._AC_SY200_.jpg
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	71126

They are fully dimmable. Got the white ones for the FnR, and blue and yellow for a friend. Need to get a couple for another friend.

Then tried to cull the piles of dog toys (they've expanded to two toy boxes). Bat-dog finally agreed to let 4 go, but I had to add 2 new ones (plus 2 in the FnR and 2 in the Durango).

Hoping the weather warms up a bit for the trip. This will likely be the only trip until late summer.

Comment

Getting ready to go out for "the birthday trip". Taking the clipper for this. Dogs and I spent yesterday doing some supply checks and prep work. Got some new lanterns (they come in lime and orange how was I supposed to pass them up?):

Name:	41xSxMPFjPL._AC_SY200_.jpg
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	71126

They are fully dimmable. Got the white ones for the FnR, and blue and yellow for a friend. Need to get a couple for another friend.

Then tried to cull the piles of dog toys (they've expanded to two toy boxes). Bat-dog finally agreed to let 4 go, but I had to add 2 new ones (plus 2 in the FnR and 2 in the Durango).

Hoping the weather warms up a bit for the trip. This will likely be the only trip until late summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X