Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna go camping!

Originally posted by James. View Post
    I took next Friday off from work to make it a 4 day trip.....I'm so excited but I still have a bunch of stuff to get done before I go.
    I'll likely pack Thursday and leave whenever I get up Friday the friends (the ones who usually show) seem to like to leave on Sunday so It will probably be a 2 day 3 night trip.

There are always things that need doing; I try not to rush things and just go with what's ready/available... if some thing gets forgotten or doesn't work ..Its all still good!

I'm torn about bringing solar to charge the battery, the most likely campsite is shady. The tunes (about 9 gig of music in MP3 form) will use about half to three quarters the battery the first day (depending on how soon people arrive and the beer starts flowing) ...
    I can bring 50 or 100 watts of panels and that will recharge the battery in a half day or less IF there is sun; otherwise I will be down to firing up the vehicle to charge it; however the panels are bulky and a bit heavy.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      I'll likely pack Thursday and leave whenever I get up Friday the friends (the ones who usually show) seem to like to leave on Sunday so It will probably be a 2 day 3 night trip.

There are always things that need doing; I try not to rush things and just go with what's ready/available... if some thing gets forgotten or doesn't work ..Its all still good!

I'm torn about bringing solar to charge the battery, the most likely campsite is shady. The tunes (about 9 gig of music in MP3 form) will use about half to three quarters the battery the first day (depending on how soon people arrive and the beer starts flowing) ...
      I can bring 50 or 100 watts of panels and that will recharge the battery in a half day or less IF there is sun; otherwise I will be down to firing up the vehicle to charge it; however the panels are bulky and a bit heavy.

Enjoy!
      I kind of take the same approach. I will get done what I can and whatever is left will get done when I get back. No biggie.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        The tunes (about 9 gig of music in MP3 form) will use about half to three quarters the battery the first day (depending on how soon people arrive and the beer starts flowing) ...
        They don't quite give you the flexibility of a smartphone, but the Sansa Clip Jams should be infinitely easier on your battery. I haven't bought one yet, but as a long time Sansa Clip+ fan, I figure they can't be much, if any, more of a draw. The Clip+ has been rendered obsolete, so I'll be looking at the Jams if and when the last of my players go belly up.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          They don't quite give you the flexibility of a smartphone, but the Sansa Clip Jams should be infinitely easier on your battery. I haven't bought one yet, but as a long time Sansa Clip+ fan, I figure they can't be much, if any, more of a draw. The Clip+ has been rendered obsolete, so I'll be looking at the Jams if and when the last of my players go belly up.
          The smartphone probably has little impact on my battery (never measured the recharge current but its probably not great) its battry life is at least several days while playing music. (Need to remember order a 64 gig memory card for it, even though 9 gig is a good part the music that I have in MP3 format (I prefer WMA which the sansa clip would play, but my phone won't).

MacG its a good thing you posted; it triggered me to measure the draw of the stereo...
          Somehow I mistakenly thought it drew like 2.5 amps but it actually draws (with the inverter) about 0.6 amp... this is well within the capability of the folding panel to recharge (guesstamate around 30 hours of safe ,for the battery, continuous operation, including lighting).
          ... I'll bring the small panels.

Enjoy!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

That sucks dude..

I enjoy my last camping days

Comment

I am getting a bit nutty here. Want to get out but unable. Too much responsibilities that are both stressing me out AND keeping me from leaving. I normally like to make it a 3 day weekend but I am working every Saturday so I can't even do a 2 day weekend.

And now that football season is over (for us Cardinals fans anyway) I don't even have tailgate parties to look forward to. :arf:
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

I hear ya! I haven't been camping in over a year due to stuff going on and I don't see an end anytime soon. Think I'll watch Night of the Grizzlies - that should help.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  I hear ya! I haven't been camping in over a year due to stuff going on and I don't see an end anytime soon. Think I'll watch Night of the Grizzlies - that should help.
                  I think I will go with Jeremiah Johnson
                  – E. B. White

Comment

...Jeremiah... perhaps; or maybe Mountain Men...
                    ... reminds me; about time for a beer and pizza W/movies night here; gotta phone some camping buds...
                    I figure Jason Borne 2016, and/or/maybe; Suicide Squad and some 'round the campfire B.S. (minus the campfire)...

Next scheduled trip; Memorial Day...

Enjoy!

Comment

I figure the grizzlies will reduce my desire to go camping a bit - rather than make me want to go just that much more...
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

...Don't think that I have ever seen a grizzly camping... (a good thing 'cause the bear spray lost pressure near a decade ago and the heavy armament is just too ...heavy).
                        Its considered a good trip when we see, or have black bears run through/past camp...I'm convinced they think we are going to eat them...(actually, not bad).
                        Its also kinda neat when a deer or elk comes to check out the neighbors/see what all the (slow, quiet) commotion is about...(usually during the week after the weekenders have left).
                        Jays, chipmunks and the occasional marmot are neat too...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-05-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Work and family priorities have kept me from camping for quite a while now but I have just finished a project at work and they don't have anything else for me to do so I will be retired for a few months. There is a state park that I have never visited about 45 minutes from my house and I think I will take advantage of the time off and go camping. I have already started organizing my camping equipment, culling stuff that I don't need, replacing stuff that is worn out or broken, and buying more stuff that I want but probably will eventually not need. My plan is to go during the week while the schools are in session keeping most families away and hopefully it will be cool enough that few if any tent campers will show up and maybe even the RVers will stay home. I just want a few days of solitude where I can read a few books, take a few pictures, practice some camping skills that have grown rusty, or maybe just do nothing but sit and watch the squirrels and birds scamper about. I really "wanna go camping". It has been too long!

Comment

Happy Joe - i've never seen one either, but the movie definitely makes you think about it. Saw it the first time the night before a camping trip and I paid a bit more attention to what I was doing.

JoeN - those are my favorite kind of camping trips. Kindle filled up with new books from favorite authors, camera primed and ready to go, lots of critters, and no people.

I have a few campgrounds within 4 hours of me that offer this solitude during the winter. Might have one or two other campsites occupied, but so nice and peaceful.

Comment

An 11 AM conference call changed my camping plans. Now my project manager wants me to stick around until the end of February to close the job out. Looks like my camping trip will have to wait until March.

Comment

Out of nowhere, I suddenly have family commitments that are keeping me home, including one next week that will require a 300 mile round trip. That's camping trip mileage, dammit! I'm hoping to get in a 3 or 4 day weekend the last of the month. Also hoping it's a snow trip!

Comment

Working...
                                X