I wanna go camping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wanna go camping!

Bears aside (they are hibernating if they're smart), current temperature near the closest favorite (before it was trashed, literally, by homeless) camping area (Almagre mountain) is -11deg F....
    Its likely that snow depth getting there would be several feet in the shallow spots between drifts (explorer wouldn't stand a chance would have to unlimber the Jeep), assuming that I could convince someone else to go snow wheeling and camping in that weather (much too dangerous to go alone).
    ...think the movies & beer & pizza have won this decision...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I am officially going camping. I took next Friday off from work to get a head start. Need to get a couple things squared away before then. Find and fix a vacuum leak in my truck, put a new coat of paint on my chuck box, and pick a place to go...but I AM GOING CAMPING.

I'm so excited. :yipi:
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Couple more weeks and im heading to payson for the weekend! I am in desperate need of a vacation.

Comment

One more day of work and it's time for a much needed vacation. Got the truck and trailer 98% of the way packed. Just a few more things. Taking the smoker and fryer up. 20lbs of wings and 22lbs of brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
            One more day of work and it's time for a much needed vacation. Got the truck and trailer 98% of the way packed. Just a few more things. Taking the smoker and fryer up. 20lbs of wings and 22lbs of brisket.
            Where are you headed?
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              Where are you headed?
              Went down past Houston Mesa campground in payson. About 30 minutes out of payson once you leave the 87. We had planned on forest lakes area, but switched to payson due to warmer temperatures.(due to the kids) .
              Payson still brought us snow and below freezing temperatures. Everyone had a blast. I'll post a couple pictures when I get to the computer as the Samsung pos I currently own dislikes working with forums.

Comment

May 18th.
                Not getting here soon enough.
                Around 20 people.
                New toys to premier.
                39 days and counting.

Comment

New Toys?
                  Aww, come on, don't just leave us hanging...

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The NEW new:
                    A projector and movie screen. Plays off a USB stick, so it draws almost no power. Also cheap enough that it's almost disposable.
                    TV Antenna and TV.
                    A small megaphone with siren.

Upgrades:
                    MPPT controller for the solar setup for better charging
                    (In development stage, as in, I can't quite figure out how I want to do it yet) Solar stand on wheels for batteries and panels

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
                      Went down past Houston Mesa campground in payson. About 30 minutes out of payson once you leave the 87. We had planned on forest lakes area, but switched to payson due to warmer temperatures.(due to the kids) .
                      Payson still brought us snow and below freezing temperatures. Everyone had a blast. I'll post a couple pictures when I get to the computer as the Samsung pos I currently own dislikes working with forums.
                      Can't wait to see the pics.
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                        Can't wait to see the pics.
                        http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ed=1#post47198

started a new thread so that I dont clutter this one.

Comment

I still remember during one of our family camping trips, we had many fun activities including searching for cobweb. Almost every year we do camping. It is fun time for the family. A camping trip with kids is fun and a terrific way of spending quality time with your family. The best part is you enjoy the outdoors away from mobiles, TV, and all the modern day technologies or gadgets which rob your time with your family.
                          I have experienced that it improves the bonding with the kids. A time to enjoy the solitude and quiet of the outdoors. I aim for the overall development of my kids and them to kids summer camp markham.
                          Camping teaches kids survival skills and makes them aware of their surroundings. Camping in my view is the best possible workout blessed with fresh air. A good way to show your kids their country. Imagine the amount of fun just a board game can bring. Needless to mention the great conversations without interruptions a camping can bless you with.
                          To add to the fun, fishing, swimming, canoeing, biking would enhance the camping experience for them

Comment

If you have never been truck tent campingbefore, you're missing out on something special. Sleep in full comfort, up offthe ground, completely dry, no matter what the weather conditions. You don'thave to find a flat piece of ground, simply camp wherever your truck can takeyou. Truck tent camping is enjoyable for anyone with a truck: weekend warriors,adventurers, hunters, fishermen, and family campers.

Comment

If possible, I want you to share more about the experience of your trip.

Comment

Originally posted by joyonti View Post
                                If you have never been truck tent campingbefore, you're missing out on something special. Sleep in full comfort, up offthe ground, completely dry, no matter what the weather conditions. You don'thave to find a flat piece of ground, simply camp wherever your truck can takeyou.
                                I took another approach to the getting off the ground.

But I'm never getting out again. Seven weekends in a row with rain in the forecast. Tomorrow with steady winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60. When the weather finally does warm up, I go back to 40-50+ hours a week at work.

Damn.
                                Last edited by MacGyver; 03-01-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X