Camping Best Meals Guideline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping Best Meals Guideline

Although I try to keep meals simple and cleanup easy, I normally do the traditional picnic foods/some of the following;
    Stop and get prepared potato salad , macaroni salad and potato chips... all are good for multiple meals.
    normally I get, or fry up some chicken the day before leaving, for a cold fried chicken lunch either on the way or when/after I get there.
    I almost always pre-nuke some 'taters and wrap them in foil to be reheated in the campfire coals.
    Hamburgers are traditional as are pork chops and occasionally steaks.... grilled; or fried if there is a fire ban.
    I occasionally do French fries although hauling all that oil (in and out) is a minor hassle...best done on a stove to keep the fries/oil from becoming flambé.
    Dehydrated potatoes can be rehydrated for mashed potatoes and/or thick, fried, potato pancakes (to go with the meat).
    Since I almost always camp around 9K or 10K feet, in the mountains, boiling anything takes some patience because or the water's lower boiling point (got a small pressure cooker to hopefully remedy this)... decent pasta, in a reasonable time is now probably a reality.
    If in a hurry for lunch; hotdogs and the campfire are quick and very easy...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      Although I try to keep meals simple and cleanup easy, I normally do the traditional picnic foods/some of the following;
      Stop and get prepared potato salad , macaroni salad and potato chips... all are good for multiple meals.
      normally I get, or fry up some chicken the day before leaving, for a cold fried chicken lunch either on the way or when/after I get there.
      I almost always pre-nuke some 'taters and wrap them in foil to be reheated in the campfire coals.
      Hamburgers are traditional as are pork chops and occasionally steaks.... grilled; or fried if there is a fire ban.
      I occasionally do French fries although hauling all that oil (in and out) is a minor hassle...best done on a stove to keep the fries/oil from becoming flambé.
      Dehydrated potatoes can be rehydrated for mashed potatoes and/or thick, fried, potato pancakes (to go with the meat).
      Since I almost always camp around 9K or 10K feet, in the mountains, boiling anything takes some patience because or the water's lower boiling point (got a small pressure cooker to hopefully remedy this)... decent pasta, in a reasonable time is now probably a reality.
      If in a hurry for lunch; hotdogs and the campfire are quick and very easy...

Enjoy!
      I can never get my act together enough to precook meals.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        I can never get my act together enough to precook meals.
        Just cook twice as much the day before...
        Or stop by someplace that has good fried chicken and buy twice as much, or at least enough so there will be a meals worth of leftovers...(I used to do KFC but the local ones stopped selling just chicken, now I get fried chicken from a wallymart superstore, they often over use their grease so look at the color before purchase (dark=bad), or another local supermarket).

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I usually camp solo so I try to keep things simple. I almost always have sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast so 1 skillet to clean up. Lunch is usually cold cuts so no clean up there. Supper is usually a foil dinner, hamburger, or hot dogs. The only clean up at supper is the pot for the chili. Occasionally I will take some bologna for sandwiches and that requires a skillet clean up because it's hard to beat a good fried bologna sandwich. The only other clean up I might have is to clean up my Aero Press after morning coffee.

Comment

I also camp solo and I don't really like to cook - so I tend to go with easy items:

Breakfast (always in the RV):
            1. pancake mix (add water only)
            2. cream of wheat

Breakfast (occasionally include):
            1. eggs
            2. fruit

Lunch is usually something simple. May just do chips and salsa, a salad, grilled cheese sandwich, etc. I always have a couple cans of soup in the RV for winter hot lunches.

Dinner (always in the RV):
            1. spaghetti
            2. canned chili

Dinner (add for specific trips):
            1. tacos
            2. quesadillas
            3. burgers
            4. sloppy joes

I did just experiment with Old El Paso soft tortilla boats. I scrambled eggs, then spooned them into the boats, then put them in the RV oven at a low temp for about 10 minutes to warm everything up. Then I served them with a tray of shredded cheese, mango lime salsa, guacamole, sour cream and olives. They were really good and easy to do.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

We keep our breakfast really simple. I make up a big batch of home made granola to last us 3-4 weeks on the road. We mix it with fresh fruit purchased from local farms and and our own wild harvesting. Rarely do we eat hot breakfast.

We tend to eat better camping. We enjoy eating fresh food. We scour the back roads for farm fresh produce, eggs, and raw milk.

We carry fishing gear for both enjoyment and to supplement our protein intake.

Diced fresh peaches with home made chia pudding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11733750495_a63a32e351_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	70806

Beef stew

Name:	5550912116_275fc01053_o.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	70807

Avocado & cherry salad

Name:	avocadosalad.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	70808

Chia pudding and fresh picked wild berries

Name:	chiapuddingwithberries.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	70809

Black bean tacos

Name:	blacbeantacos.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	70810
              Last edited by markkee; 05-30-2017, 08:21 PM.
              Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X