Camping Best Meals Guideline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Best Meals Guideline

Heading out for a travel trailer trip to the outdoors can be a fun time for a group of friends or a family, as it allows you the ability to have fun and relax together without the usual distractions of day-to-day life. But while the burdens of TV and internet might be things you leave behind, you will still have to deal with some of the same chores and tasks that you do at home, but without your modern conveniences.

Cooking can be one of the more difficult tasks to successfully accomplish on a camping trip if you’ve not done it before, so if you’re looking to go camping, here are a few things to keep in mind and a few easy cooking strategies for beginner campers.

Camp cooking is more than a grill

For the novice camper it can be easy to think that your camp cooking will live and die by the grill, and while your grill (gas or coal) will be your number one heat source for cooking, it’s important you remember a few other pieces of cookware. At least one pot and/or pan are a must for your trip, as you’ll want to heat water and cook items you can’t grill like eggs (by simply placing a frying pan on top of your grill). Chopping boards are extremely helpful as well, along with a range of knives, plates, and utensils for eating, check out retailers like Tesco to pick up some bargains.

Dried food or cold-cut meals

For those who are less fussed about making every meal a major event, a great way to take care of breakfast and lunch is by making meals where you don’t have to cook. Think about bringing a big portion of cereal, mixed nuts, trail mix, and dried fruits on your trip, which work great for breakfast. For lunch, there is nothing easier than making a traditional cold cut sandwich. Just remember to plan your cold storage options before you visit the campsite.

Cook with what you have

If you’re a simple, light-weight camper, you might be limited to a grill and a pot, but this doesn’t mean that you can’t make a delicious spaghetti with black olive and tomato sauce, or even a risotto with easy to transport seafood like tinned tuna, smoked mackerel or salmon.

A barbecue is obviously the big hit when camping, as the open flame and smoke are part of the effects that bring us back to the more simple and primitive times of our ancestors. Grilled meats and vegetables with a drizzle of olive oil make a delicious meal, and with the extra time you have it is easy to braise meats as well. If you’re looking to add a little flavour to your meals collect some tic tac boxes. They make great, compact, containers for herbs and spices that you can pre-mix at home, adding an instant zing to your meals.

And remember, to make life easy be sure to do as much prep as you can in planning your meals before you head out on your camping trip, as this will both cut down on the work needed to be done on-site, and will allow you to carry less produce and goods, because you’ll have enough to pack as it is.

Our top tips to find the best meals to make when camping

1. Fully plan your first meal at the campsite and bring all the ingredients with you. Setting up the tent, camper van, caravan, awnings, etc. can be exhausting enough, so make it easy for yourself.
    2. Think about bringing your second meal ready cooked, but frozen. This will help to keep your cool box cold for an extended period and it will also make sure you have an easy to prepare meal for the second day, allowing you to really relax during your vacation. Home cooked stews and curry are perfect for this as their frozen size means they defrost slowly and its easy to cook rice to go with it.
    3. Always plan an easy pasta dish and keep the easy-to-store ingredients with you. This is perfect for those times when you have been so busy with other activities, meal time unexpectedly sneaks up on you and your ravenous family start to get cranky.
    4. Eliminate those moments when you can’t think of what to cook, by roughly planning out meals you and your family like to eat and are easy to produce at the campsite. You can easily purchase the items needed whilst out and about during the day and it guarantees an easy meal you know everyone will like. There are a number of books and apps to help you find the best meals to make when camping, which are very useful cooking accessories for camping.

URL REMOVED BY ADMIN - OP LINKED TO RV SAELS SITE W/NO RELATION TO POST - OP GIVEN WARNING, NEXT OFFENSE OP WILL BE BANNED

Re: Camping Best Meals Guideline

A fine

copy

and paste job!
    Last edited by MacGyver; 07-01-2016, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Thats a whole lotta nuttin

Comment

My camping best meals guidelines: I just bring my husband. He makes the best campfire meals on his trusty Coleman stove while I tend to the campfire. Steak, potatoes, and baked beans ...mmmmm. I can copy and paste that every night, with a few fresh caught fish meals thrown in for variety.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Some of our better times have been totally unplanned spur of the moment trips with minimal simple cooking (and cleanup)...
          ..It almost seems, at times, like the more complexity we add the less fun we have...

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            ...minimal simple cooking (and cleanup)...
            ..It almost seems, at times, like the more complexity we add the less fun we have...
            Yep - pretty much why I've gone to dehydrated food on the last few trips. Reserves space in the cooler for drinks, doesn't take up a lot of room elsewhere, requires a pour and a stir to prepare, and is about as easy to cleanup as a candy wrapper.

Comment

Uh yes, I always, ALWAYS plan a pasta meal when I camp.
              For simplicity, y'know.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Just one thing I learned the hard way - hide a few cans of food somewhere in the car if possible. I have been surprised by guests and just kids devouring everything in sight. The hidden food has saved my bacon a few times.

Comment

Yep! I always carry a couple of cans of stew, and a couple of cans of chili over what I intend to consume, 'though I don't keep it in the vehicle between trips (they ride in the bottom of the large critter resistant ammo cans, under the crackers, bread & munchies).... tried MREs as a reserve and they worked fairly, if not tastefully, well, haven't used freeze dried since my knees convinced me that hiking, other than day trips, was a bad idea.
                  ... there is always more food along than I can personally eat; After one long weekend we decided to spend a couple of extra days camping and still had plenty (the wildlife comes out of hiding after the weekenders leave). Haven't touched the stew and chili reserve in years (it gets eaten at home and the stock gets replenished between trips).

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

While not trailer camping some things i do
                    i marinate meats and prefer thinner cuts that cook faster
                    cooking a thick cut over a campfire is no easy task
                    marinade helps preserve meats longer without refrigeration
                    use beef and chicken jerky
                    adds great flavor to otherwise bland meals
                    use beans that dont require long soaking
                    like lentils and split peas
                    fresh meats i try to use early on in the trip
                    i stock up on dollar store $1 dry meal packs
                    store well with long expiration dates
                    i dry tomato paste myself little bit goes a long way

Comment

I once read top 10 foods to cook whe camping by BBC Good Food.
                      It says pasta sauces, salad dressings, spice mixes and treats
                      Just pitched dinner(just needs a heating), campfire treats, bedtime treats for kids, veggie, festival pie, beans, barbecue, sweets, one pot meal, cupboard dinner like pasta

Comment

Originally posted by EmyJ View Post
                        I once read top 10 foods to cook whe camping by BBC Good Food.
                        It says pasta sauces, salad dressings, spice mixes and treats
                        Just pitched dinner(just needs a heating), campfire treats, bedtime treats for kids, veggie, festival pie, beans, barbecue, sweets, one pot meal, cupboard dinner like pasta
                        Is that stuff supposed to be premade at home and just heated up once you get there?
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

I prefer grits. Works every time! Oh yeah, also coffee. Hot dogs are good too. Hey, I am a simple man with simple tastes! Though New Yorkers may cringe...
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                            I prefer grits. Works every time! Oh yeah, also coffee. Hot dogs are good too. Hey, I am a simple man with simple tastes! Though New Yorkers may cringe...
                            I live with a man who makes or craves meatloaf every August. Why the hottest month of the year I dunno..but obviously my past life was funky.......
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hmmm...not one mention of a camp Dutch oven? My two rules for camp cooking:

1) Get (or borrow) a good quality Dutch oven
                              2) Learn how to use it

Comment

Working...
                              X