Mice Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice Damage

We just pulled our camper out of storage and have mice damage. We're first time camper owners and I don't even know where to begin. From what I can tell, it's mostly urine damage. The mice free roamed all through the camper, but the urine damage appears to be concentrated in three areas: an underneath storage compartment, which is accessed from outside, underneath the bottom bunkbed, which is adjacent to this compartment and underneath the shower and vanity, which is a very small, small space (it's a tiny bathroom). The nest was the size of a golfball underneath the shower. You could not smell urine in the camper until these spaces were opened up while I was trying to clean up the droppings and found further investigation was needed. Now that the bottom bunk board has been removed and the shower floor pulled up, the smell is overbearing. I'm so nervous about cleaning because of all the hantavirus talk. There have been no reported cases in NH. Is this the only healthy concern I need to worry about? Now that we've discovered these urine saturated areas, I'm wondering if extensive remediation is needed? We are suppose to leave on Thursday for our camping trip :(

Any advice or information would be so greatly appreciated.

Re: Mice Damage

http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

Comment

Thank you so much, MacGyver! I visited the CDC site this morning and read up on Hantavirus, but it leaves out the important information that after 2-3 days the virus is dead. Your CDC link is much better in that it gives you a time frame for the problem. I even called them today and they couldnt tell me :( Oh, how I wish I'd had this information earlier today! I would have had the camper all cleaned out! Arrrgh... I can't believe how difficult it is to get good information about what to do if you have a mice infestation. The "visible" stuff seems easy enough to deal with until you find they've gotten into sneaky places and then you Google what to do and find out you might have exposed yourself to a deadly disease! Geeze... I called RV places all around me and none of them could give me any advice other than to bring it in. Big sigh...

Comment

Spam?:yipi:

Comment

Originally posted by abby.smith View Post
          Lol
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by NH10023 View Post
            Thank you so much, MacGyver! I visited the CDC site this morning and read up on Hantavirus, but it leaves out the important information that after 2-3 days the virus is dead. Your CDC link is much better in that it gives you a time frame for the problem. I even called them today and they couldnt tell me :( Oh, how I wish I'd had this information earlier today! I would have had the camper all cleaned out! Arrrgh... I can't believe how difficult it is to get good information about what to do if you have a mice infestation. The "visible" stuff seems easy enough to deal with until you find they've gotten into sneaky places and then you Google what to do and find out you might have exposed yourself to a deadly disease! Geeze... I called RV places all around me and none of them could give me any advice other than to bring it in. Big sigh...
            Dinna see your thread before cuz I was in "CrazyLand" packing before my long trip on June 28th or 29th. Sounds like MacGyver done did the job well so I'll just add on howwww to avoid letting the lil critters into your RV in the first place.

Just before you store the RV at the end of the season it's time to remove non canned food, caulk and spray insulate every crevice and underside to the RV. You can also place rodenticide at all entrance points and around the perimeter of the RV. It's a tedious job but it'll give you a few years of not having to do more than maintaining. Plus if your unit has A/C it'll work better. HTH and have fun out there!
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by abby.smith View Post

Comment

Working...
              X