I need a pillow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a pillow.

I need a pillow for backpacking and camping. Any you can recommend? I'll be using it in a hammock or single man tent. Thanks for your help.

Re: I need a pillow.

Pillow comfort is very subjective, so all I can tell you is what I've found works for me. I like a fairly firm pillow, so that instantly ruled out the compressible pillows they sell for backpacking. I tried a number of inflatables aimed at backpackers but found them too firm and kind of delicate feeling. I worried about them popping - not a happy thought considering how much they cost. What I wound up doing when I was still backpacking was buying a cheap inflatable from Walmart and putting that under some clothes to "bulk it up" to the height I wanted. For car camping, I just take a full-sized Walmart pillow. They breakdown fairly quickly, so now it's a fold-in-half pillow that doesn't take up too much room in the truck.

Comment

I, too, have tried many.. for backpacking (way back then) I used to use a Slumberjack pillow: it compressed well but was thinner/less bulky than I liked.
      For vehicle camping I use a half sized soft pillow from wallymart; they last a couple of seasons and are cheap & easy to replace, and fit pretty well in the wet weather bag, along side the sleeping bag.
      Not really a pillow but I wear a wool watch cap (stocking cap) to increase the warmth when punching Zzzz's camping... It can get cold at night in the mountains or desert.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskeen77 View Post
        I need a pillow for backpacking and camping. Any you can recommend? I'll be using it in a hammock or single man tent. Thanks for your help.
        Buy a decorative feather down pillow from your local home decor store. Way cheaper and more comfy IMO than a dedicated camping pillow. I just snatch a pillow off my home couch and go.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

my backpack is my pillow,
          recently started using my sleeping pad,
          made an extra long pad where i can fold up one end to use as a pillow

Comment

I found an outdoor throw pillow has the right amount of fill to keep me comfortable as a side sleeper. It is durable since it is made to be used with an outdoor patio chair. Mine cost me $5 from Ollie's.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

In my opinion it's hard to beat one of the cheap small stuffing filled pillow you can get and make your own small pillow cases. Easy to clean and replace. This is a cheap option, but depending on the comfort and size you're after you may want more.
              "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

Originally posted by OMark View Post
                In my opinion it's hard to beat one of the cheap small stuffing filled pillow you can get and make your own small pillow cases. Easy to clean and replace. This is a cheap option, but depending on the comfort and size you're after you may want more.
                I will agree with this if there is a cheap option with some support. The one I bought was a mistake...no support whatsoever. To be fair I bought the one I have on at a general store after forgetting my pillow at home. I think the idea of having a cheap pillow just for camping is a good one though. Just have to find the right one.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

ThermaRest Compressible Pillow. Like all their products, you get quality that works.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                    ThermaRest Compressible Pillow. Like all their products, you get quality that works.
                    I have these in medium size. I prefer them in cooler temps...found they are warm in summer heat (I'd imagine due to the open cell foam pieces). Thinking about trying a Klymit X inflatable (non-insulated) for summer/backpack trips due to the small packability. The X pattern is supposed to cradle your head very well.
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Another option would be the Exped inflatables. I have them, and they pack small, and are surprisingly more comfortable than I would have thought.

Comment

I've had one of these for a year or so and it's worked very well. Might be a little heavy for backpacking, but it packs pretty small, inflates to and level of firmness you'd like, and is very durable. It also fits standard "travel pillow" cases.

Comment

When car camping, weight is not an issue, so you can enjoy a thicker, wider pad or mattress for comfort. ... Pillows: Bring one from home or use a small foam or inflatable camp pillow. Some sleeping bags have a pocket to hold a pillow or folded up clothing, such as a down jacket or fleece sweater.

Comment

Working...
                          X