Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Ahead Freezeable Marinades

Wandering around the 'net and stumbled on this and decided to park it here:

5 make-ahead chicken marinade recipes to help you keep your cool at mealtime

t store ingredients and leftovers for you! Let your chill chest work as your sous chef this summer by using its icy interior to easily and safely marinate family-friendly chicken dinners in five flavors: Thai Coconut; Classic Italian; Provençal Herb; Mojo Citrus; and Teriyaki. Casey Barber
    This no-fail, no-sweat method of marinating can even help you prep a bunch of meals that will get you through the next few months: Make an assembly line of bagged chicken and marinade, and freeze according to the instructions below. When it comes time to defrost the chicken in the fridge, it's pre-marinated for your convenience, letting the marinade work its magic as both it and the meat thaw.
    Each of the following marinades makes enough to coat 1 pound of chicken (about 2 large boneless, skinless breasts or thighs) in a 1-quart zip-top bag. Double the quantities for larger dinners and gatherings.
    To make the marinades:

Casey Barber
    Place the chicken in a zip-top bag. Whisk the ingredients (listed below for each marinade) together in a bowl, then pour over the chicken. Seal the bag tightly, pressing the bag gently to remove as much excess air as possible.
    Place the bag(s) on a rimmed baking sheet or plate just in case the bag isn't perfectly sealed.
    If you'll be marinating the chicken to eat for dinner tonight or the following evening, simply refrigerate for up to 24 hours (no need to freeze).
    Freeze on the baking sheet or plate until completely solid, then stack and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost the bag in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before you plan to cook and serve the chicken. For safe handling, do not thaw the bags at room temperature on the kitchen counter.
    To cook the chicken:

Casey Barber
    Once the marinated chicken is fully defrosted, cook it as you prefer — on the grill over direct heat for 7-10 minutes, flipping once or twice; on the stove in an oiled frying pan for 12-15 minutes, flipping as needed; or in a 375-degree F oven for about 20 minutes — until the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F on a meat thermometer.
    Related: How to grill chicken
    Marinade Recipes

Thai Coconut Marinade
    • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (from an approximately 1-inch-long knob of fresh ginger)
    • 1 small Thai or Fresno chili pepper, thinly sliced (optional)

Classic Italian Marinade
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
    • 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
    • 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes

Provençal Herb Marinade
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon Dijon or stone-ground mustard
    • 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 pinch dried thyme

Mojo Citrus Marinade
    • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Teriyaki Marinade
    • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (from an approximately 1-inch-long knob of fresh ginger)

More: Food Dinner On the show

Since the recipe is for 1 lb of boneless chicky breast figure on it serving about 4 people with sides.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Make Ahead Freezeable Marinades

The idea of pre-prepared meals is a novel concept to me. I often wonder what its like as I hit the grocery store on my way out of town.....with not even a meal plan to guide me.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
      The idea of pre-prepared meals is a novel concept to me. I often wonder what its like as I hit the grocery store on my way out of town.....with not even a meal plan to guide me.
      Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The.. the horror:he:.

The man has been grumbling about the amt of time I spend cooking (he thinks takeout and catering is the answer to entertaining made easy) for over 25 years (and his job as prep slave) but somehow is perfectly content when the food hits the table.

He also is frequently amazed at the difference between his bank acct and mine but but uhmmmm that's a different conversation..
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I usually have a meal plan - makes it easier to eliminate leftovers. I don't like leftovers (pizza the exception) - and I consider making a dish in bulk and freezing it in single portions to be leftovers. I know, I get a lot of flack for this belief but that meal after being frozen for a month does NOT taste as good as the meal freshly cook. (I will eat tv dinners however - they aren't leftovers, they are just frozen). :he:
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I usually have a meal plan - makes it easier to eliminate leftovers. I don't like leftovers (pizza the exception) - and I consider making a dish in bulk and freezing it in single portions to be leftovers. I know, I get a lot of flack for this belief but that meal after being frozen for a month does NOT taste as good as the meal freshly cook. (I will eat tv dinners however - they aren't leftovers, they are just frozen). :he:
          I have to agree with you to a point. There are certain dishes that don't freeze as well as others. For instance I made stuffed shells and when I ate some of it 2 months later it had that stale been in the freezer too long, under seasoned taste. So when I made a new batch I aggressively seasoned it and made sure to pack the replacement using the FoodSaver instead of Ziploc bags. Made a world of difference.
          Can't help ya with the leftover or TV dinner thing thing though.
          2017:

Comment

I don't think it has anything to do with the actual quality of the freezing. It's a psychological thing. My dad was the same, when he got sick, my aunt would make and freeze all sorts of meals for him and bring them over. He'd toss them and just tell her he "didn't really care for them so don't make any more". She couldn't understand why he wouldn't eat them when she made the same meals she did when they had traveled together a few months before... Because you didn't feed them to him when they were fresh from being cooked.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I used to do exactly this, but found that too often a marinade that sounded good when I was portioning & packaging didn't sound so good a month or two later. So, now I just freeze normal meal portions (3-4 chicken breasts) as flat as possible so they thaw quickly. Also, I often thaw them in a simple brine (2 cups water, 1/4 cup salt and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar), so they thaw completely in about 18 hours and just need a dash of whatever seasonings we're feeling like before they go on the grill.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
                I used to do exactly this, but found that too often a marinade that sounded good when I was portioning & packaging didn't sound so good a month or two later. So, now I just freeze normal meal portions (3-4 chicken breasts) as flat as possible so they thaw quickly. Also, I often thaw them in a simple brine (2 cups water, 1/4 cup salt and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar), so they thaw completely in about 18 hours and just need a dash of whatever seasonings we're feeling like before they go on the grill.
                I'm fine with brining only and figuring out a further base on site when it's just a few people ( 2-4 people) and nooooo kiddos. I'm gettin' old and kiddos make me weary, so the easier it is to put food on the table for them, the happier we all are.

Been doing the brine method for grilled chicky for a few years now with a slightly different brine ratio.
                Here's the basic technique:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-108166

Works nicely with the add on of included flavorants or just add your much loved bottled BBQ sauce.
                2017:

Comment

Working...
                X