4 die in Phoenix heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 die in Phoenix heat

Its hot in Arizona in June. That is a given but yesterday 4 people dies while hiking the trails around town.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/322576...eat-in-arizona

I believe all of them were in their 20's. We went hiking in the morning and were greeted with this sign at the trail head.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160619_062550.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	72909 In retrospect we should have listened to the sign and headed for the pool. Even at 7am it was hot. By 9 when we finished it was scorching hot.

Stay hydrated and stay safe people.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: 4 die in Phoenix heat

yea,
    friend of mine in Phoenix who usually spends lots of time outdoors has been posting lots of pool pics lately

Comment

That's such a shame - and there's really no reason for it. I agree with the article that there is an ego thing about doing extreme stuff. I know people who are like that - they just have to show that they are "better" than the rest of us by doing things that are just dumb.

As for me, I've never handled heat well. Even as a kid, I'd get sick after an hour outside in temps over 95. I also dehydrate very easily which aggravates the problem. As I live in an area with summer temps often over 95, I limit my time outdoors. I also have sleep issues aggravated by the heat. If I had realized all this back in the day, I would never have moved here - I would have done a Johnny Horton and gone "way up north".
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The heat and humidity in Maryland make summer outdoor activities brutal affairs. I never will understand people who go camping and hiking in this crap. It's buggy, muggy and dirty and you sweat just while sitting. Our next trip? Fall - and it can't come soon enough!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          The heat and humidity in Maryland make summer outdoor activities brutal affairs. I never will understand people who go camping and hiking in this crap. It's buggy, muggy and dirty and you sweat just while sitting. Our next trip? Fall - and it can't come soon enough!
          I camp in the summer, but I go up into the mountains. Might get into the low 90s during the day, but cools down real nice at night. Refuse to camp in the valley or foothills during the summer.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Very dangerous. People there should be careful

Comment

Working...
            X